Prev Next
Re: Does more cycling make you faster? [Ian in Oz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trainerroad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Does more cycling make you faster? [COACHtoby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
COACHtoby wrote:

Does more food make your muscles bigger?
Quote Reply
Re: Does more cycling make you faster? [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Paranoid judgemental opinions aside, enlighten us all with your brilliant thoughts about the question...
Quote Reply
Re: Does more cycling make you faster? [COACHtoby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
COACHtoby wrote:

Paranoid judgemental opinions aside, enlighten us all with your brilliant thoughts about the question...

Enlighten us where you got your coach qualification, what exactly you were hoping to gain from asking such a question and why you reopened a thread that closed in December Coach???

P.S. Peter Sagan has just been sitting on a couch at altitude the last month. Wait for Milan San Remo and you will see the benefits ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Does more cycling make you faster? [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you.

I was curious about what other adults thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Does more cycling make you faster? [xert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Armando

I hear the advice 'ride more' given to people. I was curious what others thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Does more cycling make you faster? [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would appear not :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Does more cycling make you faster? [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be quite happy to ask an athlete whether they thought more cycling would make them faster. I think it's a good question to ask. No?
Quote Reply
Re: Does more cycling make you faster? [Derekl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was curious about what other people thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Does more cycling make you faster? [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought were being sarcastic ;-) sorry :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Does more cycling make you faster? [Nolegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Great article, thanks for posting.

I am roadie, and my personal experience agrees with the article.

I think that the HIIT training protocols are wrongly interpreted as killers of the concept of base training. Not in general, but many people interpret the findings of 4-8 week protocols/plans in the aforementioned way and use them the whole year round, begining of their season to end.

As a time crunched cyclist, I find that what works best for me is, when off season:

• Monday to Friday (on trainer unfortunately), mix things up:

• Keep the volume as high as possible

• This means avoiding very high intensity intervals with small breaks between (as usually described in HIIT protocols/plans), I won't be able to keep the volume high especially on a trainer, even if I have the time, I don't have the legs/lunges/heart
      • 20-30 minutes at 85% FTP intervals are used very frequently, also at 95% but I will struggle to reach over 1:30 hour on the trainer sometimes after two 20min sets of those
    • Throw in short high intensity intervals!

• But with generous time in between, ensuring that the ratio of (intensity of the high intensity intervals)/(interval duration)/(intensity of the low intensity intervals) will let me keep the volume high
    • Do slow cadence, do some sprints, but keeping the active recovery intervals generous
  • Weekend:

• Yes, now I have the time to keep volume high, enjoy the ride, sprint up some small hills but don't get too carried away by the thrill of speed when I am on a good day, or the coming week I will feel wasted
When the season starts:
  • Increase intensity midweek, do some HIIT, especially 40/20
  • Throw in some intensity on the weekend rides, but also cutting a little on the volume
  • Will try to participate in non-important races to assess where am I
When 3-4 weeks before a major event/race:
  • Take on a HIIT protocol/plan, which also means decreased volume

After the major event/race:

• Recover, enjoy food, sleep, relax, get more with friends/family
Your major events can't be too many, the same reason you can't HIIT training the whole year.

Quote Reply

Prev Next