Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Maltodextrin / dextrose ??
Quote | Reply
I've been using Hammer Gel as a supplement on rides. What's the difference between that and stuff like this (besides a "huge" price difference):

http://www.proteincustomizer.com/carbmalto.html

http://www.defalcos.com/item161920.ctlg

~ A penny saved is a government oversight.
Quote Reply
Re: Maltodextrin / dextrose ?? [TCR2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dextrose goes into the blood very fast and creates a big insuline response - keep away from it. Maltodextrin is what you want, it enters the blood fast as well, but does not generate a big insuline response. I use plain maltodextrin powder to mix drinks (with some minerals and water), but bringing it into gel form is a mess. Some people are cooking there own gels but thats a real mess and tastes like crap. There are plenty of recipies on the net on how to cook your own gel, the main problem is, that it doesnt make sense for small amounts and needs to be used up quickly.

I use regular supermarket lowfat bars and applejuie with water and some maltodextrin for training nutrition and buy the regular powerbar stuff for races. Now in winter I dont eat and drink at all during training (except on long mountain bike rides when I bring a thermos of hot tea with me).
Quote Reply
Re: Maltodextrin / dextrose ?? [adal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used Carbo Pro, which I believe is mostly maltodextrin. I was sold on it once I found it was basically tasteless as a drink, which is a good thing on a hot summertime ride. Last year I also used it in gel form during marathon training, after feeling like the Hammer Gel wasn't sitting quite right on my stomach. The Carbo pro caused no stomach problems, and was as good if not better from an energy standpoint. I did not find it hard to deal with as a gel at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...=Maltodextrin;#61100 discusses this topic in detail and gives an inexpensive source.
Quote Reply
Re: Maltodextrin / dextrose ?? [DanP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, so what's the final verdict then? Buy a bag and see how well it works?

Quote Reply
Re: Maltodextrin / dextrose ?? [adal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Dextrose goes into the blood very fast and creates a big insuline response - keep away from it. Maltodextrin is what you want, it enters the blood fast as well, but does not generate a big insuline response.
Note that big insulin responses are suppressed during exercise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to chime in here, when operating at or near your LT, you're not supposed to get the insulin response. I've been mixing maltodextrin and dextrose 50/50 with no ill effects anyway.

On the cost part, I bought a ten pound sack of maltodextrin for about as many dollars and free shipping too as I recall. By my calculations, that's about 80,000 times cheaper than GU or equivalent, so it was a no-brainer for me.

Also, on mixing concentrated solutions, I haven't had a problem with that either. I start with near boiling water and do a lot of shaking. I let it cool, and by the next morning I have a cool, non-cloudly liquid with no sediment. I've made this as concentrated as 1000 calories per water bottle as well.

----
Aerosexual.
Quote Reply
Re: Maltodextrin / dextrose ?? [andy497] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just told basically the same thing from a runner friend of mine. He bought a 10lb bag of Corn Starch (dextrose) for $10 from a beer and wine supply company. He's been using it for months now with no problems.

Quote Reply
Re: Maltodextrin / dextrose ?? [andy497] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've made quite a few super concentrated (3:1) bottles of maltodextrin and I've never heated the water. I just mix, shake, and then put the bottle in the refrig over nite. It starts out all cloudy and lumpy, but by morning the solution is clear with no sediment.

=====================================
It's ALL about the bike!
Quote Reply