Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started a thread that devolved.

You made sweeping generalizations about "paid" teams. Perhaps you are not familiar with all teams and are basing that statement on the ones you know and have come across?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:

You made sweeping generalizations about "paid" teams. Perhaps you are not familiar with all teams and are basing that statement on the ones you know and have come across?

Of course I’m only talking about ones that I’m familiar with and not every single team that exists. I don’t think anyone here is purporting to speak about every single team.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:

Well I'm glad you did. I have always seen the various teams and their matching kits, but never thought much of it. I have always trained as a 'lone wolf' more than anything. This has been interesting and enlightening, albeit hard to sort the chaff from the wheat in all the posts.

It would be nice if there was a place on ST for organized information on tri teams (is there???). The 'elite' ones that spurred this thread to start, but also regional ones to help people realize what is out there around them and connect with the community. I honestly don't have any idea what tri teams might be around me, but if there was an easy way to find out I might venture out of my cave and try to connect with them to see if that aspect of tri community appeals to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [IM-Yeti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm heading back to team lone wolf.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
I'm heading back to team lone wolf.

Awesome, and welcome. I'll send you the bill for membership.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM-Yeti wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

Well I'm glad you did. I have always seen the various teams and their matching kits, but never thought much of it. I have always trained as a 'lone wolf' more than anything. This has been interesting and enlightening, albeit hard to sort the chaff from the wheat in all the posts.

It would be nice if there was a place on ST for organized information on tri teams (is there???). The 'elite' ones that spurred this thread to start, but also regional ones to help people realize what is out there around them and connect with the community. I honestly don't have any idea what tri teams might be around me, but if there was an easy way to find out I might venture out of my cave and try to connect with them to see if that aspect of tri community appeals to me.

I find this thread kind of interesting for a few reasons:

1. I too have been rejected from a few teams. Thought not EMJ (I've never applied)

2. The lone wolf versus team/community question.

As a triathlon coach, we've spun a team of our coaching business to allow general members to join that don't want to or can't afford to higher a private coach. We don't require that members race in the team kit (we like it when they do of course), or have any rules at all other than be a good person.

On a personal level, I've always trained and raced pretty solo. I don't need someone ra-ra-ing me to get the work done. BUT, I will admit that racing for a team and having teammates has actually been pretty darn cool and fun. Racing is hard and it helps knowing that others are out there suffering alongside you. It also helps for IM events knowing that any finish is contributing to team points in the Tri-club rankings.

During COVID, a lot of our team members stayed pretty motivated with their training because they had some accountability built in with being on a team.

It's hard to walk the line between being beginner friendly and also focused on performance but it is possible. I think the problem with many clubs and teams is that they are volunteer driven so if the volunteer running the show takes a break or has waning interest, the team/club falls a part. The teams that are led by an individual or company who does make some money from the team tend to provide more opportunities and last longer. There is something to be said for capitalism.

USA Triathlon does have a feature that allow you to search for clubs: https://membership.usatriathlon.org/Public/Public/FindAClub

FWIW, I think it's probably more fun beating EMJ guys in races than actually being on the team ;-).

Mark Saroni
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [Mark S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark S wrote:
FWIW, I think it's probably more fun beating EMJ guys in races than actually being on the team ;-).

I'll have to take your word on that... i've never managed to accomplish either one of these things, lol
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This seems like it's going to be one of those threads that pops up every once in a while. I always wonder what sort of searches lead users to it.

To update my OP:

Only ever raced 1 more triathlon after getting rejected from Rich's bro club. Did it on Team Smile Train. Was much more fulfilled.

Have since sold all my bikes (and my wife's bikes; she got mad about that...) and don't swim or bike at all.

And it's fantastic.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
Mark S wrote:

I'll have to take your word on that... i've never managed to accomplish either one of these things, lol

All in good fun. The guys I know are all good dudes. Zero animosity on my end but there may or may not be a bottle of unused EMJ product in front of my trainer in the pain cave to help me suffer just a bit more.

Plus, I’m bald so I’d never make the cut.

Mark Saroni
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [Mark S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark S wrote:

1. I too have been rejected from a few teams. Thought not EMJ (I've never applied)

Why would anyone "apply" for a team?

I'd never be a part of any team that would have me as a member.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Oct 7, 21 13:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
This seems like it's going to be one of those threads that pops up every once in a while. I always wonder what sort of searches lead users to it.

To update my OP:

Only ever raced 1 more triathlon after getting rejected from Rich's bro club. Did it on Team Smile Train. Was much more fulfilled.

Have since sold all my bikes (and my wife's bikes; she got mad about that...) and don't swim or bike at all.

And it's fantastic.

This thread is funny to me.

When you started it I commented from the perspective of a relative newbie only in the sport for a couple of years.

Then I ended up on EMJ a couple of years later (which was an awesome experience btw).

And now like you I've sold all my bikes and don't swim bike or run anymore (though I do plan to start running again once I achieve my goal to bulk up a little).

And Mark S beat me in every single race we ever did together haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
To be honest, I wasn't really sure WHY I applied. I think, in the end, it was mostly about wanting to feel important.

Now, the fact that I consider making the EMJ team to be a factor in "self importance" was probably the first signal that something was massively, massively wrong.

I would never want to be a member of a team that would want me to be on their team
Last edited by: MrTri123: Oct 7, 21 17:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I don't care who you are, that's funny right there"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How are you at Zwifting? There's always zwift teams to join
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn’t read all responses, so I apologize if this has been said. Groucho Marx said, “ I would never join a club that would have me as a member”.
The few times I have been around EMJ members, I found them a quite self absorbed. I am no where near talented enough to race with them, but of all teams, EMJ gave me a negative feeling.
I, too, had no idea what idea what RMJ stood for and because of their attitude (or my perception of their attitude) I will never purchase their products.

But they are fast!

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [mattsurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zwift Tri Academy launched for another season. Most likely the toughest team to crack with 3 men and 3 women selected.

https://www.zwift.com/ca/academy/zatri

Last edited by: Sof'ingmoney: Oct 8, 21 7:57
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
I didn’t read all responses, so I apologize if this has been said. Groucho Marx said, “ I would never join a club that would have me as a member”.
The few times I have been around EMJ members, I found them a quite self absorbed. I am no where near talented enough to race with them, but of all teams, EMJ gave me a negative feeling.
I, too, had no idea what idea what RMJ stood for and because of their attitude (or my perception of their attitude) I will never purchase their products.

But they are fast!

That's funny you say that. I don't actually get that vibe from the 8-10 that I've been around and talked with at races. I think for as fast as they are, they're pretty humble and generally down to earth guys. I love to beat them when I race, but that's just because I know I'm racing well when I do!

Blog: https://davidkoppeltriathlon.blogspot.com/
Coaching: https://dkendurance.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [Sof'ingmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sort of get a chuck at this.

At least here in So Cal, (orange county) there are a ton of local teams that are either free or close to it. The local teams give you the opportunity to workout with friends, push yourselves as there is always someone faster, and get discounts. The team I'm with (Strive Omni Sport) has about 120 members, we go to races together, have 3-4 training sessions a week, and generally it becomes a family. We don't turn away anyone btw. Ditto for the other clubs in the area (NCTT, SBR, Team Elite, etc...). We even have team competitions at the local races which is always fun. We are all amateurs, so this is about having fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never gotten that feeling. They all seem to be great to me. As for the products, I've tried the deodorant but it's not for me. The shampoo I still use but the face cream is the best thing ever when I get out of the pool. The chlorine dries my face out bad and that stuff puts life back in it with a very small dab.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next