Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Winter Cycling Boots [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Well purchased some Bontrager Old Man Winters for $200. Spoke to a bike store owner who rode in them. They aren't as popular as the 45NRTHs so I guess the price on them kept dropping.

First ride was today, temps were around 10F. After a 40 minute ride I'll say my feet were cold most of the time, but not to the point where I was uncomfortable. The fit was perfect, I generally wear a size 41, but chose a size 42. The cool part about the boots is the inside comes out, sort of like old ski boots. This allows for quicker drying after a ride. I'm hoping the temperature creeps up to the 20's soon, but I can use them for these temperatures. Weekend will bring negative temps meaning I'll be on the trainer.

For really cold days try a vapor barrier solution such as a thin liner sock, covered with plastic grocery bag, with a heavy sock over the top of the bag.

If you bought the shoes big enough you can even tuck a chemical heat pack in above your toes between the socks. If you are regularly going to ride in very low temps there are vapor barrier sock products and electric socks or insole products available too.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Cycling Boots [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thinking winter boots -- for warmth but also cuz putting a layer or 2 of shoes cover on/off is dreadful.
does any particular barnd drill their road cleat holes back far enough to match most regular cycling shoes (like shimano s phyre)?
i guess i'm most interested in lake as they seem well regarded for warmth.
ive tried northwave before and feel like the cleat holes wouldnt get back as far as my road shoe...
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Cycling Boots [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use flat pedals with my fat bike in winter with winter boots on really really cold days or La Sportiva Winter Trail Runners (they are warm and go above the ankle). After a winter of training mostly like this on my fat bike with a few trainer rides mixed in, I did a March olympic distance triathlon and had one of my best bike splits ever. My fitness did not suffer from riding flat pedals. Actually felt like taking the dumbbell off of a bat going to the tri bike with clipless pedals. As a bonus, the La Sportiva's work great for snowshoe running or just running on the snow.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Cycling Boots [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you there. On the coldest days, it's waterproof/winter trail runners and flat pedals. I'm over 10 lb boots that sucked at clipping back in after a couple hike-a-bikes and never kept my feet as warm as Altra Lone Peak Neoshells.
Quote Reply

Prev Next