Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TrainerRoad for Treadmills? [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PerfPRO supports treadmills using an ANT+ foot pod. You can then load up running-specific workouts based on your running threshold (rFTP). During the workout PerfPRO tells you what speed and incline to set the treadmill at. Using the rFTP% workouts one to many treadmills can be used during the workout so it's a pretty effective way to get a good indoor run in at home or in a group setting. I find the time passes pretty quickly too. Concept2 rowers were recently added as well.

Using the PerfPRO Remote app you can control the workout fairly easy, bouncing around from bike to treadmill (to rower to skier) and back: https://itunes.apple.com/...-remote/id1200514578

Ping me at my support @ perfprostudio.com email if you would like more information.

Thanks,
Drew.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad for Treadmills? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
marklemcd wrote:
If you’re doing workouts while running that you need something to tell you what to do on the treadmill, you’re doing running wrong.

Uh, no.

Running is mostly easy-effort miles with anywhere from 10-20% hard miles, and gradual incremental volume rampups if you're doing it right.

You don't need some elaborate detailed mile by mile training plan to run easy miles. In fact, you're probably better off donig things that slow you down on the easy days provided you actually DO run fast and hard when it counts. I run barefoot as well as watch Netflix on all my easy treadmill days - it's a nice mid-low Z2 effort. The barefoot is good training and also keeps me from going too hard.

No netflix or barefoot on the hard days though. It's all focus, and I often do them in a gym treadmill for even more motivation since I seem to go harder when others are around.

While I don't disagree that it's not difficult to have a plan for treadmill training, I typically have a large variety of workouts premade and loaded into my Garmin. My running is not mostly easy miles and I don't think that you're doing it wrong if you are not doing it as you described.

HIll work, VO2 work, muscular endurance, HIIT....I'd rather keep my indoor runs specific and keep my outdoor runs easy. Keeps the workout specific and the boredom down.

THAT being said, I could see some apps coming with the integration of Stryd or other running power meters. Just because some may not see the value in it doesn't mean that it's not valuable to others.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad for Treadmills? [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriselam wrote:
If you’re ok manually adjusting speed and incline why not just use TrainerRoad running plans? Zwift has some running plans too. Or really any running plan from anywhere?

You can get a little Milestone pod and attach it to your shoe and have your speed and cadence show up in Zwift. I’ve never used TrainerRoad but I assume it’s the same? I’ve also used RunSocial a few times with it but it’s mostly just eye candy.

I think there is some potential there, but I actually find the process of having to monitor my intervals on my watch and manually changing the treadmill settings to be a great distraction from the treadmill...even to the point where I actively enjoy doing treadmill workouts!
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad for Treadmills? [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RunSocial looks very promising - thanks for the tip!

Shame it won't work with the NordicTrack I just bought :-(

(At least not in auto mode)
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad for Treadmills? [smallard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smallard wrote:

No worries!

I think with some more work that could be really cool. Again, I use it to pass the time mainly but they do have “events” where you can actually race people. It shows a time and there is count down and start running. Never did one but thought about a 5k they had up a month ago.

Some of the places to run cost money to download but there are free ones also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smallard wrote:

Any updates on what works well and what doesn't? About to buy a new treadmill.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad for Treadmills? [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best option I found is RunSocial which can control the incline (and maybe the speed, not sure) on a limited number of high-end treadmills:

https://www.runsocial.com/how#features

But it's clear Smart Treadmills are not yet as prevalent (or affordable) as Smart Bike Trainers. Probably because the benefits are not so pronounced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this would be a great product for TR in the future. I actually saw a picture of a pro triathlete on Instagram that was running on the treadmill with a TR screen in the background so I thought it might be something in the works. I would definitely try it out!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next