Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is My HRM Broken?
Quote | Reply

My HRM (Garmin) is giving some very odd results - see attached graph.

This was me running 1000m repeats at the track. Is there any clinical reason why my HR should jump from 146 to 190 in just a few seconds? (and then return to normal almost as quickly)

I see this phenomenon frequently - both running and cycling. About 20-30 mins into the workout, I get this unexplained spike followed by a recovery that's almost as quick.

Time for a new HRM?

I should state that I have no known cardiovascular issues.

Thanks!
Last edited by: smallard: Nov 12, 17 11:21
Quote Reply
Re: Is My HRM Broken? [smallard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Wahoo gets squirrely when the batteries on the strap get low. I'd change them out and see if it happens agian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That may not actually be a change in heart rate - if you have run cadence data, check if the HR it jumped to is similar to your cadence at the time, since the bouncing from running can mess up the readings.

If you are using a dedicated HRM with a chest strap, you might need a new strap. I get similarly wonky readings after about 18 months with a strap and buy a cheap replacement off amazon when needed. If you are getting HR optically from your Garmin you might need to tighten the wrist strap one notch to keep the watch from bouncing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like others said, may be an equipment issue. But, I sometimes note a similar looking HR graph when my equipment is working fine and the HR rise is real (although not the 40-50 bpm that you are seeing, I will see a 10-20 bpm rise). I will take my pulse to confirm that high HR reading is real and not artifact. I find this happens when I am fatigued and not recovering from previous few days work outs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: https://swimbikerunrinserepeat.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen that when my battery was running low and replacing it resolved the weird heart rate numbers. I also had the older style HRM-Run with the removable HRM that corroded around one of the connector snaps and water/sweat would leak in causing "issues".

I'd replace the battery and if it persists, then yes the HRM could be faulty and need to be replaced. I'd run it by Garmin before you do that though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could take the battery out and reset the HRM by touching a screwdriver to the two battery contacts.

It's what I had to do when the battery in mine went flat and it wouldn't recognize a new battery.
Quote Reply
Re: Is My HRM Broken? [TeslaOsiris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am trying to use HR as a guide for run intensity and for my two runs on the "100" challenge I've had very different results. The first run the HR was reading a false HIGH of 160 bpm. On my second run using the treadmill the HR was working fine.

I found this explanation online which is exactly what is going on with my watch. Posting as a reference for others. My watch is a TomTom Spark3 and uses the typical optical sensor:

"Spikes in HR are generally from poor blood flow producing weak pulse strength, so the watch reads cadence instead. This is most common in running and is particularly apparent early in a workout or during a non-intense workout when you are not warmed up or when you are doing sprints with very high effort.

You have to think of the optical heart rate as an algorithm that is attempting to track a signal in a set frequency range (30-230 or whatever it uses). If the pulse signal is weak it latches onto the next strongest rhythmic signal, which is your cadence in running and the vibrations of the bike in cycling. For most people who experience this while running it spikes to around 180-200 bpm which is also the average cadence people run at.

Additionally, each person has a different HR signal ‘strength’, depending on a range of factors, so some are prone to get it more than others. But usually their signal strength is lower for the first 5-10 minutes until they warm up properly. So in that time, it is prone to latching onto cadence, which is a common fault with all optical HRs, unfortunately. Optical HR also can tend to lag in measurements, so if you are doing intervals it can take a but to catch up so it shows high HR during the rest periods. If you notice it while it happening you can try moving the watch a bit or briefly pausing your run so it loses the cadence reading and latches back onto HR, which I find usually corrects it. I generally pause the watch, stand still for 20-30 seconds and will see it immediately start to drop. Once it gets into a more reasonable range and the pulse reading stops dithering (dithering is when it is not getting a good signal and it is a lighter grey in color) I start up again and it stays true for the rest of the run. You can also try switching wrists and the position on the wrist. I find I got better readings on my right wrist over my left and some people find they get better readings if the watch is on the inside of the wrist rather than the outside. It also helps if you warm up a bit to get your blood moving and your HR up so it is producing a strong signal. Play around with it and see if any of this helps you. The challenge for the manufacturers of optical HRs (and this is a common issue with all brands, my Scosche also does it) is to figure out how to factor out the other "noise" that is overriding the pulse signal without also factoring out other important data.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question."

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Is My HRM Broken? [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found washing my strap worked well when it gave weird readings.

I'm now using the optical from my 935 and it works well when I keep the watch snug on my wrist.
Quote Reply
Re: Is My HRM Broken? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I found washing my strap worked well when it gave weird readings.

I'm now using the optical from my 935 and it works well when I keep the watch snug on my wrist.

From reading this forum, it seems that a lot of folks don't follow Garmin's advice on maintaining their HRM strap. After every use, they are supposed to be rinsed. Periodically they are supposed to be cleaned with soap -- the old kind with the removal fob can go in the clothes washer -- the new kind where you cannot remove the fob with some soap in a container of water and then rinsed. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Is My HRM Broken? [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A strap is electrical I believe. I do have one and contact pads have to be clean, but also a bit moist to make good contact. Never used it much tho.

The opticals have a lense/green LED blinking in there so it makes sense clean is good as well.

I did what that post above suggested - spun the watch around to the underside of my wrist. Worked perfect today - I got 121 BPM average rate which is perfect for the pace I was doing (running with my bike :/)

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply