Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona Legacy Program - Is this still a thing? [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
So is the Legacy Program still a thing? The Ironman website has not been updated. If things go well, I will log number 12 this year.

Very much alive and well. There is a dedicated facebook page on it (not affiliated with WTC) with lots of athletes who are working towards it or already have a slot. I'm in for 2019 but will chalk up #14 and #15 prior to Oct 2019 ... not by requirement, but by choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Legacy Program - Is this still a thing? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
imsparticus wrote:
So is the Legacy Program still a thing? The Ironman website has not been updated. If things go well, I will log number 12 this year.

Very much alive and well. There is a dedicated facebook page on it (not affiliated with WTC) with lots of athletes who are working towards it or already have a slot. I'm in for 2019 but will chalk up #14 and #15 prior to Oct 2019 ... not by requirement, but by choice.

I too have a legacy spot for 2019. See you there.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Legacy Program - Is this still a thing? [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thumbs up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have fun! i'm going this year...excited and scared..haha
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Legacy Program - Is this still a thing? [anitan1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anitan1 wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
While the letter does stipulate that you can maintain your spot with any IM branded race, the FAQs on their website still state clearly that you must do a full IM. I will take no chances and continue to do a full each year...but I would have done that anyway.

I can't promise that I'll do an IM every year. I may not. I wouldn't mind shifting my focus to 70.3 for a year, instead of a full IM. If I get any blowback from not doing a full IM, I'll produce the letter that Ironman sent me. That said, I understand your concern.

If I do decide to do an IM next year, I think I might look for something OUS. Frankfort maybe, or one of the Canadian races.

FWIW, I submitted a 70.3 time to keep my eligibility this year and they accepted it. I also finished an IM this year but submitted the 70.3 as a bit of a "test," to see what the response would be, as I don't have a spot until 2020 and am not sure I want to do an IM in 2019 so submitted only a 70.3 time for 2018 and they took it.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Legacy Program - Is this still a thing? [Iron Dukie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So...5150 next year?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Legacy Program - Is this still a thing? [Iron Dukie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am overkilling the requirement this year with two IMs and two or three 70.3s for personal preference.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Legacy Program - Is this still a thing? [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard rumors from a couple different people they will move the requirement to 14. Any truth to that?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Legacy Program - Is this still a thing? [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a baseless rumor unless Messick is one of those people you heard it from. The evidence suggesting that it will not change is that WTC has made it easier to continually validate once you do reach 12. Previously you had to continue to complete an IM each year up to the year you race Kona. Now, you can validate with a 70.3 or even a WTC owned 5150 (or you can still do another IM). If their intent was to raise it to 14, why would they be making easier to stay on the Legacy list once you've been accepted?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's still around. I got an email saying I will be in for 2019. Doing 13, 14, and 15 this year. Frankfurt will be my only IM next year before Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Sounds like a baseless rumor unless Messick is one of those people you heard it from. The evidence suggesting that it will not change is that WTC has made it easier to continually validate once you do reach 12. Previously you had to continue to complete an IM each year up to the year you race Kona. Now, you can validate with a 70.3 or even a WTC owned 5150 (or you can still do another IM). If their intent was to raise it to 14, why would they be making easier to stay on the Legacy list once you've been accepted?

I've also heard they've been offering deferrals, which I believe is new. I had a legacy spot in 2014 but was too sick to do the race and couldn't defer. Fortunately my health improved enough that I could participate again by 2016 but since I no longer had IM finishes in the two previous years, I needed IM finishes in 2016 and 2017 to become eligible again (and now have a spot for 2020). A training buddy of mine had a 2017 slot and asked to defer and they let him defer to 2018 without any need for justification or explanation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
FYI - I was over at WTC Headquarters this afternoon and spoke with the lady who runs the program. While I don't have exact numbers for you, I was told that even if I had not asked for 2020, it would be 2020 for me -- and I signed up within an hour of them opening applications for this year.

How often are you in WTC headquarters?
Did they tell you any numbers, like how many apply every year, how long the list currently is or used to be?
It would be nice to know generally if the list is growing, shrinking or staying the same year to year next time you are there.
Congrats on getting a 2019 spot. Why do you think you got bumped up a year if you had to guess?

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:

Did they announce that change somewhere? Looking at the site, it still says validation requires full-distances. I would love for that to go away.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Legacy Program - Is this still a thing? [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
FYI - I was over at WTC Headquarters this afternoon and spoke with the lady who runs the program. While I don't have exact numbers for you, I was told that even if I had not asked for 2020, it would be 2020 for me -- and I signed up within an hour of them opening applications for this year.

How often are you in WTC headquarters?
Did they tell you any numbers, like how many apply every year, how long the list currently is or used to be?
It would be nice to know generally if the list is growing, shrinking or staying the same year to year next time you are there.
Congrats on getting a 2019 spot. Why do you think you got bumped up a year if you had to guess?

I got on it as soon as it opened and submitted within 20 mins. Got 2019, so that gives us a rough number of entrants at that point.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Legacy Program - Is this still a thing? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Did they announce that change somewhere? Looking at the site, it still says validation requires full-distances. I would love for that to go away.

No, they didn't announce it. WTC is severely understaffed and doesn't update it's websites like they should. However, all of us receiving Legacy spots in the past year received a letter outlining what to do to stay current. See example below:

For the record, I've validated 2018 with 1 Ironman and 2 70.3s. Another 2018 IM is on deck.

Aloha Paul,

Thank you for your passion of IRONMAN and for the commitment to reaching your dream to compete at the IRONMAN World Championship. Below is an update of your status in the IRONMAN Legacy Program.

You are guaranteed selection for the 2019 IRONMAN World Championship. To maintain your eligibility please note the following requirements:

Complete ONE of the following events each year leading up to the year of your guaranteed selection:
· IRONMAN (140.6)
· IRONMAN 70.3

Provide proof of completion to your validating event to legacy@ironman.com each year leading up to the year of your guaranteed IRONMAN World Championship.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah thanks! That is wonderful news. Next year I tick off my last 3 then I am in the waiting pen. Woukd love to just hammer 70.3s in the years following!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply

Prev Next