Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

9170 TT Shifter Setup
Quote | Reply
I have a speed concept on order and it's coming with 9170.

How is everyone running their 9170 setup? Are you using the synchronized shifting with the single button setup? Or are you using previous generation's 2 button 9070 setup with the current 9170 gruppo?

The Kona TriRig gallery indicates most or all of the pros who ride Shimano ran the 9070 brake lever and extension shifters with the 9170 gruppo.

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Re: 9170 TT Shifter Setup [jlentzke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t have 9170 (I have 9070) but I have given this a lot of thought if I upgrade at some point. I prefer the two button 9070 shifters. I get the convenience of synchro shifting but I honestly don’t want it. I typically run a 11-23 cassette. If I need to get into the 21 or 23 just for 10-20 seconds, I don’t want it to shift to the small chain ring. I’d rather me make the decision to shift to the small chain ring.

I also live in Florida so there are very few hills. For someone who lives in a mountainous area and has to shift in and out of th big chain ring, I could see them wanting synchro shifting.

It all comes down to personal preference.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run the dual-button brake levers with the single-button extension shifters. I wouldn't want to completely give up control over shifting the front chain-rings, and I can't see any benefit to having the single-button brake levers.
Quote Reply
Re: 9170 TT Shifter Setup [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that was my logic as well. I feel like running the single button 9170 brake levers would negate a big benefit to running di2.

I think I will end up running the 9070 (2 button) brake lever setup.

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What did you end up going with

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: 9170 TT Shifter Setup [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
9070 brake lever shifters (left shifter is front der, right shifter is rear der) and 9170 (both rear derailleur) on the extensions. Really liking that setup

Toro Performance
Quote Reply