Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hallux Rigidus/Cartiva experience anyone?
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

I used to post a lot on this forum a few years ago, but now check in once in a while. Anyone on here have any experience with Hallux Rigidus (big toe arthritis)? Been dealing with it for over 3 years and have managed to keep running, etc. with adjustments to my shoes, inserts, etc., but it's getting worse.

I see a new treatment using an artificial cartilage product called Cartiva and I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience getting this done. I need to keep running and surfing to keep my sanity, but would love to know if anyone has been able to resume running at or close to their previous levels WITHOUT PAIN following this surgery, or even a chielectomy, which is the more traditional approach to this problem.

Thanks in advance!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hallux Rigidus/Cartiva experience anyone? [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to hear from you Jay! Not here as often either ... We must go back over 10 years now.

Cartiva looks promising with recent studies (I think they go to about 5 years out now). My organization (large, 650+ physician multi hospital group) does not approve it yet (nor do many insurance payors) since still "investigational". Also, the company that makes/markets it is relatively small and the price is high. Word is they are looking to be acquired/bought by a larger player. It will likely become more readily available then.

Easy enough to do (basically a cheilectomy as you eluded to with an extra step). I'm only interested in that ALL implants fail eventually and I need to have a plan for people when they do. Total joints do great (even if they fail and need replaced again) in the hip and knee. So-so for shoulders and ankles. Not so great for the big toe joint. When this fails, fusion after is much easier. The real question is whether or not it will provide some increased benefit over a cheilectomy and that is hugely patient dependent.

Last edited by: rroof: Oct 15, 17 15:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not exactly the question you were asking about but here's my Hallux Rigidus story: I had a stem cell + PRP injection in one of my big toes almost a year ago. I was promised nothing by the orth doc at Emory; he made it very clear that with so little surface area, the likelihood of less pain/greater flexibility was pretty slim but since I was having injections in one of my knees anyway, he was willing to try.

I don't want to overstate the results but the short version is, for me, stem-cell+PRP has made a big difference. Where there was too much pain to block out pre-injections, I can now still functionally train. I'm trying to be smart, which means not overdoing it..

I had never heard of Cartiva. Good to know there's another option beside joint fusion. Best of luck...
Quote Reply
Re: Hallux Rigidus/Cartiva experience anyone? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Rod,

Thanks so much for the response. Glad to see you're still solving the foot problems of STers here!

Still sort of trying to manage this problem with inserts in my shoes, etc. I am a daily surfer and still running 5 days/week, so the thought of sitting on my ass for an extended period doesn't...pardon the pun...sit well with me, so I've been putting off getting anything done, but as you know, this problem doesn't just "go away" like other issues I've had in my 12 years in endurance sports.

The insurance quandary isn't something I anticipated, so I'll have to give that a check. Again, thanks for the advice, and I'll keep ya posted!

------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can give a personal report on several accounts. I've been doing triathlon since 1983. 20 years ago I had a cheilectomy, it gradually got worse. For the past three years I have had bone-on-bone pain. Early September 2018 I had Cartiva implant. I expect I do more endurance stuff than most patients who have the procedure. My surgeon told me to to three months for running. This is what I reported to my orthopedist:

• Day four I was walking up and down stairs which I found easier than walking on flat ground because I can keep my foot flat on the stairs.
  • Day six I was able to use an elliptical trainer with my feet flat with no trouble at all.
  • Day eight postop I used a stationary bike, again with my foot flat in the boot.
  • Day 13, I was able to do a one-hour outdoor bike ride. Riding the bike with my foot flat in the boot is painless.
  • at four weeks I ran 1 mile, slowly and carefully, running has improved, I am 11 1/2 weeks postop now and up to 1/2 a marathon. In planning on doing a marathon December 9.
  • I started using my clippin bike shoes at week eight but it is still painful. I have speed play petals, I just ordered a part that will allow me to shift my foot forward so the force is away from the ball of my foot.

I'm sure this is a more aggressive rehab than recommended. The most important thing is to be careful not to jam your toe into anything, that could push the implant into the bone, so you would lose the gap between the bones. I'm not risking surfing yet, it would probably be safe at three months but there are other things to do. I'm hoping to be back to climbing but figure I will wait until six months postop. The website for the product says maximal improvement is around six months. My surgeon said he has patients improving all the way up to one year.

My flexibility is good, already better than preoperatively. I still have pain but the pain is different than what I was having before. Most of the pain is on the ball of my foot and the inside of the foot adjacent to the ball of the foot. There is still some swelling which apparently is normal. I am hoping the pain is part of the postoperative process. I figure in three months I'll know much better what to expect long term but at this point I'm impressed.
Quote Reply
Re: Hallux Rigidus/Cartiva experience anyone? [trireallyhard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback! I'm in a Facebook group for the Cartiva implant as well as a Hallux Rigidus FB group and there is a ton of feedback there, mostly negative, about Cartiva failures. Granted, folks that have had success probably leave the FB group and mostly don't report back, but lots of stories about people who have had no or little pain relief.

I'm still managing 4 1/2 years into this problem without surgery, but it's definitely impacted my ability to run long distances.

Good luck with your continued recovery!

------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

hello

the question might be stupid, but does using very rigid forefoot shoes help ?

Thinking of shoe with carbon plate (such as Nike Vaporfly) or quite thick and stiff midsole with rocker (such as Hoka Bondi)
Quote Reply
Re: Hallux Rigidus/Cartiva experience anyone? [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Hoka Bondis and use some inserts to offload that big toe joint.

------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What grade level did you have 1-4, I thought I read that this procedure was not appropriate for level 4 patients?
Quote Reply
Re: Hallux Rigidus/Cartiva experience anyone? [pokey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using Hokas. Presently the Clifton 3, I bought a whole bunch of them. I have a fairly wide forefoot. Very happy with my Bont cycling shoes but I want to get the pressure back further behind the ball of the foot.

I will have to check out Facebook. I don't know exactly what grade it was at. I still had decent motion but constant pain, it got to the point that I was sleeping with a cast shoe or lightweight runner to keep pressure off of the toe. It would always get better when I would start moving it in the morning.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the Honolulu Marathon Sunday, at 3 months, 3 days post op. I don't recommend it, I had pain that i could manage with precise foot control. about 4 hours after the race it felt better than prior. Time 4:36 for a 62 yo but I hope to be faster next year. I think it is helping to use it but do avoid impacting the end of the toe on anything that could jam the implant into bone.

mb
Quote Reply