Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lucy Charles [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Pun_Times wrote:
The number of titles she wins before 30 is dependent on how many more years Ryf keeps competing. She had a killer race though. She becomes just the 6th female to break 9 hours at Kona. And she did it in her first try in the pro field (though I guess it would have been like a 9:02 on the old course...).

You can not be serious, in fact I'll say the total reverse, that 2017 was Ryf's LAST WIN. Lucy will blow her away next year and Ryf won't be within sniffing distance after the first 50 meters of the swim. Lucy will lead wire to wire and dominate the sport for as many years as she wants to train hard. There has never been another female swimmer to come into iron racing with her distance swimming resume (read BIG ENGINE), and she's going to ride her first OOTW all the way next year, and in years to come. She can prob go 8:30 at Kona on a fast bike day like this year. She'll make Paula, Chrissie, and Ryf look like rank amateurs.
Orrrrr not.

(Though she does have a bright future!)
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She can prob go 8:30 at Kona on a fast bike day like this year.//

Which gets her 2nd to Ryf this year(and future ones), again...At least pick a time she is magically going to do that is faster than the has been you say is done...

I am however a big fan of Lucy, after someone changes her bike position and another year of good training, the rest can forget about 1st and 2nd, instead of just 1st like it was before the race this year. Or they let her do some ITU races and she leaves long distance for a bit, I think that is what she would like to do, just may not be in the cards in her country to allow a newcomer from the long distance side to have a crack..
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Ryf is at a level the other ladies just are not at, yet. Her bike is way beyond the others currently and few can run with her. We haven’t really seen her challenged at the IM distance.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Pun_Times wrote:
The number of titles she wins before 30 is dependent on how many more years Ryf keeps competing. She had a killer race though. She becomes just the 6th female to break 9 hours at Kona. And she did it in her first try in the pro field (though I guess it would have been like a 9:02 on the old course...).

You can not be serious, in fact I'll say the total reverse, that 2017 was Ryf's LAST WIN. Lucy will blow her away next year and Ryf won't be within sniffing distance after the first 50 meters of the swim. Lucy will lead wire to wire and dominate the sport for as many years as she wants to train hard. There has never been another female swimmer to come into iron racing with her distance swimming resume (read BIG ENGINE), and she's going to ride her first OOTW all the way next year, and in years to come. She can prob go 8:30 at Kona on a fast bike day like this year. She'll make Paula, Chrissie, and Ryf look like rank amateurs.
Orrrrr not.

(Though she does have a bright future!)

Hahaha. I’m glad you bumped this. Totally forgot about Eric’s response to me. He’s eating his words with this one!

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Pun_Times wrote:

So how did that go for you?...
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a lot of discussion during the race regarding Lucy Charles dropping her special needs bottle trying to put it in the rear cage and possible negative effects of not having whatever she had in it, but I never heard her comment on it in interviews post race.

Has anyone seen any comments from Lucy Charles on this? I am curious as to if she think its negatively effected the back half of her bike ride? Or, was she able to replace whatever was in it on the course. Perhaps it was just filled wit fluids, not calories.

I saw in later photos she just had a bottle of water in the cage from the course.

She did comment that her bike computer was on the fritz the entire ride and she had no power or HR data and just rode on feel.
Last edited by: taos111: Oct 16, 18 12:36
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [taos111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where did you hear about her bike computer having issues?
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The comment about her bike computer going on the fritz was in a post race video interview on Triathlete Magazine Online. It was one of the most informative of the post race interviews.

https://www.triathlete.com/...ens-kona-race_336478

You would think someone would have asked about the bottle drop but maybe those interviewing post race were not watching the video feed.

She never brought it up because maybe he did not want to address the bottle drop or was told by Specialized to not comment on it because it opened up the door for followup questions regarding the Shiv's reservoir issues and why the need for the extra bottle from special needs.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [taos111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link!
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On this - everyone's commenting on her bike... she's working with Matt Bottrill, right? Are we arguing bad counseling there? I'm sure if he had disagreed with how things got fit he would have said something as well.

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Last edited by: ChasingPB: Oct 17, 18 2:03
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [ChasingPB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChasingPB wrote:
On this - everyone's commenting on her bike... she's working with Matt Bottrill, right? Are we arguing bad counseling there? I'm sure if he had disagreed with how things got fit he would have said something as well.
You quoted me from a year ago on this and I haven't read through the thread, so pardon me if I'm not responding in the context of where the thread currently is.

I don't have any control over my athletes once they leave my fit stand and I've had more than one athlete/coach/etc. modify and screw up a great fit after it leaves the fit stand.

She may be getting excellent fit advice and just isn't following it. She may not be getting the best fit advice. No way I could know one way or the other without knowing what advice she's getting. I can only comment on what I see. Her position seemed generally better in 2018 than in 2017, but her saddle was definitely too high on Saturday. And not just by a little bit.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't mean to pull from a year ago, my bad... Commentary was very similar to other threads I saw during IMWC weekend

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:

Remembered this thread from earlier in the year!

Hi Richard! Yesterday during the race, there were quite a few comments about Lucy's seat height and saddle position. Are you still fitting Lucy? And if so, will you be making additional adjustments? Be interesting to hear your thoughts :-)

Hi Anna

I was out on the race course all day on Saturday watching from the side of the road and still haven't caught up on the coverage so cannot comment on her position, although several people noted to me they felt her saddle was too high.

I did see the following instagram post before the race which was photographed when Lucy received the bike in Port Elizabeth after the 70.3 World Champs and my immediate reaction was that the saddle looked high in this image but had assumed this would have been corrected before Kona.

I personally am no longer working with Lucy, either in terms of fit advice or management. I did do the initial fit on Lucy's Shiv at the beginning of the year when we worked hard on improving her overall posture and aerodynamics following Kona 2017. I look back at this photo and still feel it is pretty close to a perfect position for long distance racing. Comments always welcome though!

In spite of all the criticism of her position, Lucy smashed it on Saturday and doesn't need to change much going forward. At the turn of the year I fully expected Lucy to kick on and win Kona, but that was based on a feeling that Daniela was at a peak of her ability. Her improvement this year has been incredible to witness, her performances at 70.3 World Champs and Kona are two of the greatest we have ever seen.

Richard

Richard Melik | I work for the following companies | Zwift.com | Freespeed Bike Fit (UK)
Manager | David McNamee
Quote Reply

Prev Next