Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: what "thing" happened to you right before your big race? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bike breaking was:
Eagleman to be my 2nd half ever . I rolled my ankle over the train track at the finish of quassy the week before... It swelled a bunch, and couldn't really walk... But i rehabbed through it. And was semi easy to go...but was freaking a fair amount .

I got there, and Saturday, I get ready to drop my bike.. I'm in the expo and notice the special bolt that felt uses in the ia seat post (recessed ) had somehow snapped its head off

I call around and find a felt dealer in DC. I am a complete wreck My gf (who was racing, and going for an AG win, which she got). Drives me up there (2.5hr maybe ?) we get the piece and drive back check in and race.

I now carry every bolt, and part I can, in triplicate for my ia at home :)
Quote Reply
Re: what "thing" happened to you right before your big race? [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was simply a superficial skin infection. A boil, but on the finger the swelling had nowhere to go so the pus collected round the entire finger.

Was simple enough to resolve. They couldn't do local anaesthetic there as it might spread the infection so a general. They cut and drained it. Because the swelling had been so bad the skin on top was dead and left 1m diameter wound. They didn't want to close it so left it open and told not to swim. OK now, albeit with a large scar
Quote Reply
Re: what "thing" happened to you right before your big race? [srschick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In 2004 the weekend before I was due to leave for my 15 in a row Ironman Canada race I was hit by a motorcycle and broke my pelvis, needless to say that put pay to my Ironman Canada race and trip and my 15th in a row streak !

In 1994 just before Hawaii Ironman my mom passed away so I had to go back to Wales rather than go to Hawaii, not as though I blame my poor mom for passing away but it was quite unexpected and was very upsetting for us to loose my mom. Cheers LA Rob
Last edited by: hercules: Jul 8, 18 16:24
Quote Reply
Re: what "thing" happened to you right before your big race? [iwaters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iwaters wrote:
It was simply a superficial skin infection. A boil, but on the finger the swelling had nowhere to go so the pus collected round the entire finger.

Was simple enough to resolve. They couldn't do local anaesthetic there as it might spread the infection so a general. They cut and drained it. Because the swelling had been so bad the skin on top was dead and left 1m diameter wound. They didn't want to close it so left it open and told not to swim. OK now, albeit with a large scar

Glad you're ok! I think I had the same thing on my big toe but was just lucky (or wussy) enough to get it taken care of before it got that bad. Paronychia, I think it was called.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: what "thing" happened to you right before your big race? [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah. Carry extra cockpit bolts, RD hanger, RD bolt, seatpost bolt, extra chain in case chain torques laterally in the bike box and damages a pin, electrical tape in case bar tape unravels, tire and tube in addition to ones in the flat kit, and of course a torque hex set and pedal wrench. Edit: extra valve extender!
Last edited by: Dilbert: Jul 8, 18 17:06
Quote Reply
Re: what "thing" happened to you right before your big race? [srschick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About 5 mins before a race I realize I never adjusted the brakes on my bike for my race wheels, so unless I get them adjusted I have no brakes. I open the trunk of the car to grab a wrench and a brand new can of aerosol glue I use to attach numbers rolls out onto the ground, knocking off it's cap and breaking the aerosol top. The can starts spinning around in the dirt blowing glue and dirt in every direction. It covers me from head to toe, the back of my car, inside of the trunk, even the guy next to me's car. (sorry!) I look down at myself, covered in glue/dirt globs and think "well, that doesn't look very aero!" I've got literally 3 mins to get to the start line at this point. I adjusted the brakes, quickly grabbed my backup shoes and changed shoes, so at least my shoes would be clean, then forgot about it and set a PR. Still cleaning glue off of shit though. It even took a few days before I finally got it all off my skin.
Quote Reply
Re: what "thing" happened to you right before your big race? [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before my first 70.3 (Oceanside this year), a couple of weeks out, I was bored watching TV, pretty satisfied with myself about the training I had done that day, and thought I could do a bit of extra credit. I went into the garage where I keep my stretch chords, for whatever reason I decided to check the hook I had attached to the garage wall, and I noticed a bit of movement, but didn't give it much thought. I started going at it, and I think it was rep 3 or 4 when I felt the bang on my head. It hurt like a motherfucker. Like really really bad. Immediately I checked for blood and didn't see anything, so I thought I had lucked out, but immediately after I saw the blood coming out. Turns out I had attached the hook directly on the drywall, and I don't know how this didn't happen sooner.

I ended up in the ER with 8 staples in my head, and not able to swim for 10 days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Snapped my read derailleur hanger the morning before the race 1000 mile drive from home. called all over indiana and ohio to find a replacement. none found. decided to pack it in and head back only to get a phone call 2-hours after leaving that one has been found. decided to keep driving instead.
Quote Reply
Re: what "thing" happened to you right before your big race? [triordie1994] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to DNS a race this morning because I ate something bad at a restaurant last night and spent the last ~16 hours on explosive diarrhea call. I couldn't sleep the whole night. An hour before the race, I mustered up the courage to go to the race venue to return the ankle chip (an experience that broke my heart), and only there I could see how weak the ordeal had made me - my legs were shaking and my lips were very dry. I'm very frustrated at the whole situation, the place was beautiful and the sea was as flat as a pool today. :(

Last edited by: RafaelMB: Sep 16, 18 11:47
Quote Reply
Re: what "thing" happened to you right before your big race? [RafaelMB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in a parking garage in downtown Chicago getting my gear out before the race. I set a few items on my trunk including my car keys. As i was putting my front wheel on i see my car keys slide slowly off the trunk, bounce off the ground, and drop to the levels below (there was a gap between the floor and wall). I said an audible "f*ck!" and sat there frozen for a few seconds before making my way to the floors below until out of sheer luck I find it underneath a car. I'm pretty sure I remember yelling "Yes!" In relief.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
got hit head-on by a car while biking.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: what "thing" happened to you right before your big race? [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first marathon. Was so nervous that I hit a curb with my front car tire and flatted it. One of my friendly competitors, Robert, said that I wouldn't feel like changing the tire after the race so he helped me change it a half hour before the race. What a class act he was.

Finished second with a 2:48 and he was right about not waiting to change the tire afterwards. Thank you Robert who was in San Antonio, Texas at the time.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: what "thing" happened to you right before your big race? [quintana who] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My old QR Kilo broke in Lanzarote just before the Oly distance Volcano Tri in the late 90's. A long way to go for a DNF. Front mech hanger ripped itself off the frame (rivet failed). Temp fix by zip tie. Eventually a replacement frame (Redstone! Thanks Dan!).

Oh, and my first race back this year, 70.3 at Taupo after two years of injury. My wetsuit must have shrunk... Ripped it putting it on at the start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one word

dia-fucking-rrhea

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply

Prev Next