Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Awaiting Bennett's and Kaepernick's apologies [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the fact that this low life is willing to knock a 66 year old paraplegic to the ground is part of the story. Google security guard and the images shown will not be anything close to a 66 year old woman in a wheel chair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
Okay I do have a question about this.

If it’s true what they’re saying he did, that’s terrible and I would never condone that.

In the headline though, what benefit is there *from a news/journalistic/reporting perspective* to put paraplegic in the headline? Is assaulting a woman okay, and it’s just the fact that she’s a paraplegic make it bad?

I understand that it will bring more clicks and therefore more money, but for God’s sake I just want to see unbiased, plain old news. I can make my own commentary.

Actually I was thinking about this this week on the way to school. One of, if not the best morning news recaps on the radio in terms of topics covered, faces given, sources cited, commentary to a minimum, and general reporting goodness comes from out local Christian radio station. I just think of a lot of people I know that would probably write them off before they listened, just because, “it’s Christian, so they’re going to spin everything to be about God.” (Friends words, not mine). But yeah, I love the music but that’s an added little bonus to my mornings (:

The fact that she’s a paraplegic isn’t what makes it bad, but it certainly makes it worse. There’s some sort of understood hierarchy. If he knocks over a large man, it may not be ok, but it’s not as bad as knocking over a woman. If he knocks over a woman, it’s bad, but not as bad as knocking over a child or a disabled woman. The description of the victim gives context to the circumstances.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Awaiting Bennett's and Kaepernick's apologies [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Most of the coverage used less dramatic headlines, and many didn't include what he reportedly said during the incident. This being the Lavender Room in a thread about what a douchebag he is, I felt it was fitting to use Bleacher Report.
Well that’s fair, you do know your audience well (:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, that, and I think it's only fair to be as uncharitable to race agitators like Bennett at every opportunity, considering the damage they're inflicting on the world around them.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Awaiting Bennett's and Kaepernick's apologies [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After assaulting the lady the cop should have just practiced his mozambique drill on the dummy.
Quote Reply
Re: Awaiting Bennett's and Kaepernick's apologies [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
I think the fact that this low life is willing to knock a 66 year old paraplegic to the ground is part of the story. Google security guard and the images shown will not be anything close to a 66 year old woman in a wheel chair.

You've referred to Bennett as a low life and sphere just referred to him as a douchebag. You guys have already got Bennett on the ground from a metaphorical online fight standpoint. The name calling just looks like gratutious (verbal) brutality, and decreases the persuasion of your argument. If you must put in some kind of emotional response then go with how "sad" it all makes you. That still annoys the crap out of the other side without being able to be spun as hate on your part.
Last edited by: SH: Mar 25, 18 6:54
Quote Reply
Re: Awaiting Bennett's and Kaepernick's apologies [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Perseus wrote:

You've referred to Bennett as a low life and sphere just referred to him as a douchebag. You guys have already got Bennett on the ground from a metaphorical online fight standpoint. The name calling just looks like gratutious (verbal) brutality, and decreases the persuasion of your argument. If you must put in some kind of emotional response then go with how "sad" it all makes you. That still annoys the crap out of the other side without being able to be spun as hate on your part.

I think we're both right...he's a low life douchebag. His actions have shown him to be a liar and a manipulator. I think his athletic success has left him with a huge sense of entitlement and he shows signs of narcissism.

Bennetts action may lead you to a different conclusion and that's OK with me.
Quote Reply

Prev Next