Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2018 Tarmac [titemple652] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
titemple652 wrote:
I weighed my bike with the 1400 gram CLX40s and a SWorks Romin Saddle and it was 15 lbs.

I have been looking at the CLX's (disc versions) and just wonder why within the same series the rims have different specs (is this normal with other manufactures?). For instance the CLX 32's have an internal 20.7mm and external 28mm profile while the CLS 40's are much more narrow with a 16.2mm internal and a 23mm external. Just taking a quick look at some other brands (ZIPP and Hunt) their rim profiles seem to be the same across different rim depths. Weird!
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Tarmac [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well not so unusual here because the new CLX 50s and 32s are basically a redesign of the 60s and 40s. They went with a lower but more rounded rim profile for aerodynamic reasons and they are also wider too. The 60s and 40s (I owned both sets) are excellent wheels, light and aero but not very stiff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One possible thought on the weight distribution. When you have a really light frame you start to notice the component weight differences more. With DI2 the front end of the bike is extremely light compared to the rear with the battery and heavier RD/FD. If you have a light bar/stem/headset combo the front end can be incredibly light. I just had a chance to ride the new SL6 s-works ultralight and that was clearly evident. In fact, just like you stated it handled differently.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Tarmac [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad someone agrees! Still, I LOVED riding this bike and I look forward to putting many thousands of km on it in 2018.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Tarmac [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:

I have been looking at the CLX's (disc versions) and just wonder why within the same series the rims have different specs (is this normal with other manufactures?). For instance the CLX 32's have an internal 20.7mm and external 28mm profile while the CLS 40's are much more narrow with a 16.2mm internal and a 23mm external. Just taking a quick look at some other brands (ZIPP and Hunt) their rim profiles seem to be the same across different rim depths. Weird!

The CLX40 and CLX60s are the previous generation, narrow aero wheels.

The CLX32, CLX50, and CLX64 are the newer generation and all have the same larger internal width and aero profile design, as well as tubeless ready. In addition, they have an aero hub.

The 32,50,64 replaced the 40 and 60.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Tarmac [Wonnk13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wonnk13 wrote:
Curious about this as well. Considering the Trek Emonda SL7 and the Tarmac Pro. Never ridden a tarmac and looking for a more aggressive geometry for flatland crits and such.

pyrahna wrote:
All the reports I've heard about the Ultralight is that it is an amazing bike and a step up from the last generation Tarmac. Having said that, if you are doing technical crits the Allez Sprint is the way to go.

I completely agree with pyrahna on this. The new Tarmac is an amazing all rounder and if you are concerned with weight. But From what you have mentioned. The Allez Sprint cannot be beaten as a flatland and crit bike. The geometry is certainly more aggressive on the Allez Sprint and it's still just as stiff if not more so. If you're aiming for what you've mentioned for in a bike, save the money and get the Allez Sprint. You be just as happy and have some extra cash to by some of the CLX 50s for it too. I'll take more risks in crits on the Allez Sprint knowing that if something does happen then the frame is less likely to be trashed. They both ride and handle extremely well and aren't bad to look at either.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Tarmac [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread is useless without pics.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Tarmac [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer wrote:
MKirk wrote:

The CLX40 and CLX60s are the previous generation, narrow aero wheels.

The CLX32, CLX50, and CLX64 are the newer generation and all have the same larger internal width and aero profile design, as well as tubeless ready. In addition, they have an aero hub.

The 32,50,64 replaced the 40 and 60.

Thanks for the "Ah Ha" moment! For the life of me I could figure it out.
Guess I keep an eye out for 32's and 50's for some new wheels. Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Tarmac [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ive got a 2015 S-works Tarmac i picked up last summer. I cant decide if i should stick with it for my first Half IM in galveston first week of april, or if i should be looking for an actual tri bike. i can easily do the distance on the bike, and at a decent pace. But if my swim sucks enough to make me not competitive spending another 6k on a bike might not be necessary :P

Any suggestions on if the Tarmac is useable for a HIM? i would like to hit around 2:30 in the bike... bestbikespit with my current bike/FTP adding deep dish aero wheels puts me at 2:27. Everywhere i go the number people are claiming is 1-2mph faster in the aero position... thats significant.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Tarmac [evokevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
evokevin wrote:
Ive got a 2015 S-works Tarmac i picked up last summer. I cant decide if i should stick with it for my first Half IM in galveston first week of april, or if i should be looking for an actual tri bike. i can easily do the distance on the bike, and at a decent pace. But if my swim sucks enough to make me not competitive spending another 6k on a bike might not be necessary :P

Any suggestions on if the Tarmac is useable for a HIM? i would like to hit around 2:30 in the bike... bestbikespit with my current bike/FTP adding deep dish aero wheels puts me at 2:27. Everywhere i go the number people are claiming is 1-2mph faster in the aero position... thats significant.

You’ll be faster on the Tri Bike for sure but it really comes down to if you’re racing against yourself or your competitors. If you’re racing against yourself then it’s all relative (you’ve been training on the tarmac) but if you’re racing against others, equipment can get you on the podium.

The fear of missing the podium by 10sec is real!
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Tarmac [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sweet. i'll stick to the tarmac for now then it sounds. im not nearly fast enough in the swim to be podium yet. havent even attempted to swim the distance yet. lol.

ill focus on finishing the swim, and putting down some healthy numbers on the bike as it sits, and top 5 in AG in the run.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Tarmac [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few pics of my Tarmac. I absolutely LOVE this bike and I am preferring it over my BMC TeamMachine SLR01 (2016).

Last edited by: titemple652: Mar 7, 18 15:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody here own a size 58 Tarmac SL6? (or work in a shop and has access to one). I'd like to check how high up the seat can go i.e what is the seat height at min.insertion mark - or - how much till min. insertion mark when the seat is at 82cm (center of BB to top of saddle)
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Tarmac [lazybiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any longer term reviews? There's a Tarmac Pro at my LBS that's giving me feelings.
Quote Reply

Prev Next