Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Wahoo Kickr or Elite Direto??? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I’m definitely sold on indoor training. I’ve used a trainer dummy and smart for maybe 4-5 years. The last 3 years I’ve done more trainer rides. I usually try to get outside for a long-ish ride on the weekend but then 2-3 other days I’m indoors. It’s just so much more efficient use of my time and just less hassle than driving somewhere safe to drive. I’ve used trainerroad and Zwift the most. I can’t decide what I like most. Also tried Sufferfest recently and that’s cool too. I’m sure I’ll be happy with the direto
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr or Elite Direto??? [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott_B wrote:
I have now used my V2 Kickr enough that I can comment on it. It appears to have a very high build quality. It is also more compact than I imagined. Setup was quick and easy, maybe 10 minutes including a firmware update and pairing to my iPad. The noise is loud if you are riding at a high speed. If, however, you keep the chain in the small ring noise is very low. In Erg mode, this is easy because you can choose whatever gear you want. In level mode (non-Erg), I just set the level to 6 or higher and then I can get all the resistance I need while staying in the small ring. This mornings session included 2x25’ intervals at low rpm and low tempo effort. I did an advanced spin down on the Kickr and a calibration on the Quarq. For the first 25’ interval the Quarq had an average wattage of 1W lower than the Kickr. The Kickr and Quarq had the exact same average wattage for the second interval. I am very happy with my decision to purchase a Kickr.

I had a random sense of appreciation come up yesterday about using the Gen 1 Kickr and how frustrated I was in the first year (15 to 20 watts off from the Quarq) and now feel as if this trainer has be extremely solid for me since Wahoo came out with the last firmware update that I applied 2/5/16. I continued to use the Quarq as power meter control when using PerfPro, but after observing the post training data in Perfpro (because it gives both the trainer power and power meter data) I put it back to allowing the Kickr to control the session. I still see both sets of data and it is normally with a watt or two. I do not do the advanced spin down anymore and have not checked on any other firmware updates. It is running so well day to day that I am too nervous of messing up a good thing.

I am always excited to see advancements in new trainers so this is not an endorsement for Wahoo, but just a note of how I went from being very disappointed with the Kickr from late 2014 to mid 2015 to really appreciating it. My thought yesterday morning was a hope back when I bought it that it would be comparable to how many loved the Computrainer and have a solid built wireless system. I feel satisfied with the Kickr. I do like the thought of new trainers becoming more quiet, but even if mine were it would not matter because my cooling fans are the loudest things in the room. Since getting the Kickr I rarely use my E-Motion rollers (they are outstanding) and I even installed a wireless resistance controller and I still would rather jump on the Kickr.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr or Elite Direto??? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got the direto yesterday and have done two workouts on it. Quieter than I imagined and working great.
Quote Reply

Prev Next