Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Movie Review: American Assassin
Quote | Reply
If you read the Flynn books you'll enjoy this movie as it's in the spirit of his writing. If you are not a regular reader but like action and violence this is your cup of tea. Lots of violence, some of it very graphic. The plot will be familiar to Flynn readers:

"Twenty three-year-old Mitch lost his parents to a tragic car accident at the age of fourteen, and his girlfriend to a terrorist attack just as they were engaged. Seeking revenge, he is enlisted by CIA Deputy Director Irene Kennedy as a black ops recruit. Kennedy then assigns Cold War veteran Stan Hurley to train Mitch. Together they will later on investigate a wave of apparently random attacks on military and civilian targets. The discovery of a pattern in the violence leads them to a joint mission with a lethal Turkish agent to stop a mysterious operative intent on starting a world war in the Middle East."

Dylan O"Brien does a good job portraying a young Mitch Rapp. Michael Keaton does a decent job of portraying Hurley. Worth a view.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: American Assassin [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking forward to seeing it. I'm a sucker for revenge movies.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I thought it was ok. The plot is a bit simplified from the book, as you would expect. The action was decent, although the main character is kind of hard to like or root for. Decent popcorn action film.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
O 'Brien seems a little smallish and pretty to pull off Rapp. Not as bad as Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher, though. I'll see the movie. read each of Flynn's books 2-3 times!

Quote | Reply
Did slowguy give you permission to do his job?
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: American Assassin [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
O 'Brien seems a little smallish and pretty to pull off Rapp. Not as bad as Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher, though. I'll see the movie. read each of Flynn's books 2-3 times!

Cruise as Reacher is probably the biggest case of casting whiplash I've ever experienced. So much of the books emphasize Reacher being this 6'5" beast, and then cruise comes on screen and is like "I'm big enough to start T-ball next spring!"
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: American Assassin [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly.

Quote | Reply
Thanks for your review.

I am a big Vince Flynn fan and was skeptical about the movie. As I understand it, the basic plot is the same, but the movie doesn't follow the book's story line.

From what I am hearing now, it would be best to treat it as a separate movie, just with the same character names.

FWIW, I think that Dylan O'Brien does seem too "small" to play Mitch Rapp, also, whenever I read the book, I have an image of Jodie Foster as Irene Kennedy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When is it set?
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: American Assassin [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I just watched this today. What a piece of garbage. I enjoy the books. This basically pisses on the books and the suspension of disbelief needed is well beyond that of the books. I feel like I just wasted an hour and a half
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
So I just watched this today. What a piece of garbage. I enjoy the books. This basically pisses on the books and the suspension of disbelief needed is well beyond that of the books. I feel like I just wasted an hour and a half

Given your rave reviews of The Twilight Saga, I'm not surprised this movie was not your cup of Zima. But, it delivered what it promised and that is all that can be asked.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: American Assassin [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
windywave wrote:

Given your rave reviews of The Twilight Saga, I'm not surprised this movie was not your cup of Zima. But, it delivered what it promised and that is all that can be asked.

Never seen Twilight Saga

Dude it was a shitty movie Mitch Rapp or no.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
JSA wrote:
windywave wrote:

Never seen Twilight Saga

Dude it was a shitty movie Mitch Rapp or no.

Yeah! Right! Next you will be claiming you have never had a Zima!

Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: American Assassin [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
windywave wrote:

My wife normally loves these kinds of "valorous hero gets revenge against the bad guys who wronged him" movies but even she was pretty "meh" about it after watching it. It was kind of a let down after the opening beachside terror attack sequence -- which was a really great setup, but which just couldn't carry the movie through some fairly uninspired storyline later in the pic. The three-letter supersecret spy agency/Assassin Central characters weren't very convincing, either. The bad guys were, at best, boilerplate baddies, too (Art Malik and his bunch were actually more entertaining as paper cutout heavies in 1994's "True Lies," even). On a scale of 1 to 5, I think it was a 2 at most.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: American Assassin [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched this last night with a few beers after we got home from dinner. I clicked over about half way through the beach massacre and from that figured it looked promising. Not good. I read the books 10-15 years ago, and recall the basics of the Mitch Rapp experience, but don’t really remember them in detail.

As a stand alone the movie was formulaic, poorly cast and poorly acted. Some decent action scenes and whileI enjoyed watching Michael Keaton get his fingernails pulled off, most of it was stuff the Bourne movies did 100X’s better.

In the end, I watched it. I could have turned the channel, but I didn’t, so 2/5 seems about right.
Last edited by: chriskal: Feb 17, 19 8:12
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: American Assassin [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched it last night but had to video the last 40 mins...it was late. Gonna finish it tonite...for me, I liked it, it was far from perfect a good movie to watch to kill a few hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: American Assassin [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueraider_mike wrote:
I watched it last night but had to video the last 40 mins...it was late. Gonna finish it tonite...for me, I liked it, it was far from perfect a good movie to watch to kill a few hours.

Just FYI that was the part that made me throw in the towel
Quote Reply