Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

knee damage
Quote | Reply
Saw a surgeon with some MRI's of my knee yesterday. He tells me I have cysts and edema on the inside of my patella which he says can only be fixed by a knee replacement. He doesn't think I should do this but has told me while I can still ride I am not allowed to run ever again. Any one had any experience with this?
Quote Reply
Re: knee damage [paddymelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had an MRI 2 months ago, just to make sure all I had was ITBS. I had very visible swelling all around the left knee, which gave him concern. MRI comes back with "Joint Effusion" and a "cyst." My ortho said the cyst looked like a "growth cyst" which are quite common. He said many people have those when they grow taller from their youth, which he brushed off with "no big deal." Stop running for a while.

I have to go back next week for some kind of follow up and my next question is going to be "you sure about that cyst." How does he know if it's a "growth cyst."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.kneeclinic.info/problems_other_knee_conditions.php

All about knee cysts.

Looks like if you remove it, and they are caused by over use, they come right back, sort of like the ganglian cysts I get on my wrists, which I blame tennis on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have any swelling - the knee clicks and grinds when I bend it and is very painful when I climb stairs or run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He said you had "edema" underneath the knee cap.

That's swelling of some kind.

Mine pops and creaks, too.

I'd get a second opinion. My goodness, he's wanting to do a complete knee replacement.

And I was told cysts were common on the knee. Get them from overuse, and other ways. My guy said mine looked like it was from "growth," and I have no idea what that means. After reading up about knee cysts since then, you get them from overuse when the fluid builds up, arthritis, and from meniscus tears, etc.
Quote Reply