Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

eTap for road bike with removable blips / clics for aero bars?
Quote | Reply
I've converted a couple of bikes (TT & CX) to electronic shifting using Di2 and I'm now considering converting my road bike. One of the appeals of this would be the option to have removable aero bars, which I could add shifters to.

My road bike currently has SRAM Force, hence I'm swaying towards going with eTap Red. I was thinking this would be quite elegant in that I could buy the road bike upgrade kit, and have blips on the top of handle bars when used without the aero bars, and swapping these with clics when adding the aero bars.

These would ideally be plugged into the shifters, meaning I wouldn't require a blip box, but the issue I see is the wires need to run under the bar tape for a neat solution.

Am I overlooking something here with eTap, is there way I can add/remove clics without having a blipbox or having to remove bar tape?
Quote Reply
Re: eTap for road bike with removable blips / clics for aero bars? [Bad Ash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you run wires under the tape than yes you have to removes the tape..or just tape the section from the shifters to after where your buttons will be if temporary... that's only one section of tape?
Quote Reply
Re: eTap for road bike with removable blips / clics for aero bars? [beaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only solution I could think of would be if there were extension cables that I could plug into the shifters and then tape under the bars, with the extension cable plug finishing at the edge of the bar tape. But it doesn't seem they do exist.

If I were to use DI2, this is really simple since I'd already have a junction box on the stem. It seems a waste to buy a blip box since the road shifters themselves could also be used for the same purpose.

I was thinking my requirement is a common one and one that electronic shifting is almost a perfect solution for. But with eTap the options seem slightly inelegant.
Quote Reply
Re: eTap for road bike with removable blips / clics for aero bars? [Bad Ash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just installed them on mine. I wired them through the aerobar back to the stem. From the stem I just taped them under the bar and into the shifter. I can run the wiring internal to the handlebar and I may try it over the summer if it is easy enough with the park tool for that job. Otherwise I will just tape it. One other point I was also going to use the blips on the handlebars when the aerobars were not on. But that would involve having to route the wires back through the aerobars again. Also I needed 145mm length wire which would leave you with heaps of wire to spare. Might be easier to just get another set of the shortest length.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MacGyver would cut the Clic's cable and insert a two-pin waterproof connector. You can get a multi pack of these connectors for pretty cheap on Amazon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While doing a forum search I came across your post. Have you found a solution? Because if not I could provide one... just let me know
Quote Reply