Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Android app to show power from Quarq
Quote | Reply
I have been searching before posting, but can't find the answer.

I just bought a used Quarq Elsa. Up until now I have been using a simple head unit that shows just speed and I get HR off my watch (which connects to strap). Rather than buy a multi-hundred dollar head unit, I would like to replace current head unit with my phone.

Is there an android app that will display BLE power data stream? I have Samsung Galaxy S5. It seems it may be able to also handle ANT+.
Last edited by: swanwick: Sep 1, 17 8:02
Quote Reply
Re: Android app to show power from Quarq [swanwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have a PM, but I "think" strava will do what you are looking for.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't believe the Elsa supports BLE, only ANT+. I think Quarq introduced BLE with the Dzero platform.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your phone does have ant+ so you are good.

I've been hunting for the same type of app. Wahoo Fitness will read power. Strava also works. Someone also wrote an app based on Golden Cheetah at some point. Also check out Kinetic Kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not just buy a used Garmin Edge 500? It'll read/display/capture your power data and do almost everything else the newer fancier units can do (except maps). You can usually find a 500 in the classifieds for about $50. There's at least one for sale now for $80.
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...Slowtwitch_Forums_C1
Quote Reply
Re: Android app to show power from Quarq [geauxTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Qalvin connects to my Riken using BLE, so the support existed at least that far back, and it will show power and cadence while connected but that probably isn't what the OP is looking for.

I agree with the others. A 520 or a refurb 910xt is the best cheapest options

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iPhone user asking the obvious here.... did you look in an app store? Not just google play but Amazon's app store? Others? Search for ANT or for power meter.

S5 indeed has an ANT+ transceiver. Samsung's approach is to include everything and the kitchen sink in the design, and see what sticks. Their phones also have a TV tuner but it is disabled for the US market.
Quote Reply
Re: Android app to show power from Quarq [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the replies. I was able to get power to show on the Strava app and then I ziptied my phone sitting on top of the aero bars. Was decent for workout except that strava sometimes seem to jump into map mode.

For race though it is going to take too many button pushes to get strava started up and recording a ride in order to show power. Will definitely look into the Garmin used options. Need something that will work with just one or at most two button pushes. Also eliminating risk of splattering phone on the pavement is a nice to have.

Right now I have a bottle in a cage above stem. Means that I am limited in head unit (and phone) attachment options. I suppose could put bottle on front tube between legs and be a bit less aero or maybe unit will allow a zip tie through and then hang between aero bars in front of bottle. Anyone solved this type of problem?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ipbike works well. Super customizable but not necessarily user friendly. I used it as my powermeter on the trainer for a couple winters but prefer a Garmin for outside rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Android app to show power from Quarq [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
Qalvin connects to my Riken using BLE, so the support existed at least that far back, and it will show power and cadence while connected but that probably isn't what the OP is looking for.

I agree with the others. A 520 or a refurb 910xt is the best cheapest options

None of the Quarq line prior to the Dzero PMs had BLE capabilities, only ANT+. The Qalvin apps for the two systems are different. I have two generations of Elsa and a new DZero. I actually like the ANT+ Qalvin Legacy app/Windows software better because it has diagnostics. The new Qalvin BLE is much more limited. But I t is nice not to have to use the ANT+ dongle on the iPhone.
Quote Reply
Re: Android app to show power from Quarq [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hijack the OP post but I just purchased a used Elsa RS and cannot get the Legacy app to download on my windows machine. My phone is ANT+ but I cannot find the legacy app, when I click on the legacy app for Android on the Quarq website it states ' files not found'

Am I doing something wrong here ? has support been totally ditched for the ELSA models ? surely not. I just want it to get my unit set-up. After that I will be using my Garmin not the phone.

Would appreciate any real life advice !
Quote Reply
Re: Android app to show power from Quarq [Anton Chigurh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anton Chigurh wrote:
Sorry to hijack the OP post but I just purchased a used Elsa RS and cannot get the Legacy app to download on my windows machine. My phone is ANT+ but I cannot find the legacy app, when I click on the legacy app for Android on the Quarq website it states ' files not found'

Am I doing something wrong here ? has support been totally ditched for the ELSA models ? surely not. I just want it to get my unit set-up. After that I will be using my Garmin not the phone.

Would appreciate any real life advice !

I recently downloaded and used the Qalvin Legacy Windows app. Just checked download here on another computer and it worked fine. We use it on our pain cave smart trainer computers which already have the required ANT+ sticks.

Can't speak to the Android app. It doesn't show up on Google Play currently. I'd suggest dropping an email to Quarq support to ask about that one.
Quote Reply
Re: Android app to show power from Quarq [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would download and install but wouldn't open on the Windows computer. It said it was looking for some other file. However, I am awaiting delivery of an ANT+ dongle so perhaps that's why it won't open, I'd have thought it'd open but just wouldn't recognize the power meter without the ANT+ dongle.

Ultimately the Android app would be much more straightforward. I must contact them and find out where I can get it / why it's not working.

Thanks very much for the info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wahoo fitness app, i use it as a backup in case my headunit does not work. I also use it on occasion during indoor sessions to control by kickr.
Quote Reply