Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bike shoes
Quote | Reply
newbie here. I am looking at new bike shoes. Curious if you guys train in Tri shoes on the bike or road bike shoes and save the tri bike shoes for race days. I am looking at these below but wanted to ask before I fork out $$$. As I now have the task of making my new 2017 specialized roubiax expert more tri friendly and more aero. So thought I ask about the shoes as well.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/expert-road/105646
Quote Reply
Re: bike shoes [dl1340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may be no help here but since I use different pedals on my tri bike (Powertap P1) and my road bike (Speedplay) I, by default, use tri shoes on the tri bike and road shoes on the road bike. I only have one pair of tri shoes, S-works Tri-vents, so by default my race shoes are also my training shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I train, race, and ride my road bike 100% in tri shoes. I just want one pair of shoes. I want to live the simple life.
Quote Reply
Re: bike shoes [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I train, race, and ride my road bike 100% in tri shoes. I just want one pair of shoes. I want to live the simple life.

+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I train and race, and bike race, in Tri shoes. Specialized S Works Trivent

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let cost and convenience drive this train. Be advised tho that tri shoes can be easier to get on in a hurry than conventional cycling shoes. Sizing can be tricky. Might want to get them at your local bike shop so you can both try them on and also get some input from someone at the shop that knows how tight of a fit is "just right".

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: bike shoes [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For IM and HIM I still wear Specialized S-works 6.

And yes...All the time I'm told by my fellow AG experts that I "need" to wear tri shoes to save valuable time. And yes I could certainly save some there.

But the comfort of those bad boys....seconds wasted in transition versus minutes gained on the bike and run. (for reference I race a 5 hour bike split in IM...I can save more time than the shoes just by taking water bottles more efficiently.
Quote Reply
Re: bike shoes [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to use only my road shoes (Sidi) for both sports, but I finally splurged and got some (Sidi) tri shoes. They are awesome and have very much the same fit as my road shoes. The on / off ease of the tri shoes is worth it for me personally. I used to hate getting hung up in transition trying to wrestle on my road shoes. They have a tricky top buckle that doesn't always latch properly and can take a few attempts. I use look pedals on both bikes so the shoes are interchangeable. If I had to choose only one pair, I'd go with my Sidi tri shoes. Road shoes: tighter and more comfortable fit. Tri shoes: ease of on/off, somewhat less tight fit, may be marginally less comfortable. I'd highly recommend Sidi in either case. I've had my road shoes forever and they are as good as the day I bought them. Something about Italians and their shoes...:)

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by: Don_W: Aug 30, 17 3:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have two pairs of bike shoes... they are essentially the same shoe but one is a road bike shoe, the other tri specific... got both at really good deals @$100'sh each. Made by LG, the Course Air-Lite and the Tri-400 in a 1/2 larger... easier mount and dismounts. Think the soles are the same, slightly larger upper... or so I've read.

If I only had one pair of shoes, I'd ride/buy a tri specific pair. There are some design features of a tri shoe such as drain holes, straps for easy in and out, etc. that are useful when you race.

Those shoes look similar to the LS-100 model from LG... I'm a big fan of LG shoes. Good shoes and great value... plus if you shop around you can find them at great deals.

So I'll circle back... If I were you and getting one pair, I'd get a pair of tri specific shoes with a carbon sole that fits your foot well. Like wet suits, there are many "options"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of specialized carbon road shoes from 2007. So I am in need of a new pair of shoes in the future. Since I am in the market, I will go to local tri store and look and try some one. Local bike stores only carry mountain bike shoes and road bike shoes
Quote Reply
Re: bike shoes [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don_W wrote:
I used to use only my road shoes (Sidi) for both sports, but I finally splurged and got some (Sidi) tri shoes. They are awesome and have very much the same fit as my road shoes. The on / off ease of the tri shoes is worth it for me personally. I used to hate getting hung up in transition trying to wrestle on my road shoes. They have a tricky top buckle that doesn't always latch properly and can take a few attempts. I use look pedals on both bikes so the shoes are interchangeable. If I had to choose only one pair, I'd go with my Sidi tri shoes. Road shoes: tighter and more comfortable fit. Tri shoes: ease of on/off, somewhat less tight fit, may be marginally less comfortable. I'd highly recommend Sidi in either case. I've had my road shoes forever and they are as good as the day I bought them. Something about Italians and their shoes...:)

Shoes are so personal I'd never recommend any shoe! I bought a pair of Sidis...now they sit. I hate them. The tongue (which is cut with a jagged pattern where the tongue meets the top of your foot...go figure on this idea) is perfectly designed to cut my skin. The wratchet mechanism of the top part of the closure system takes two hands to put on and off. And they are just so damn heavy I can feel it. Granted...not apples to apples as these are the very top end of the Sidi range...but man give me back my S-works after a week in those jalopies! :) And yes...I'm sure someone else's foot will fit them perfectly!

Velcro for speed. Boa for secure fit that's pretty quick. Oddly complex closure systems...I'm not sophisticated enough to handle these! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Understand the function of the shoe, and factor this into fit and form in your decision making.

The function of the shoe is to support the foot from below. When trying on shoes, don't put your foot in the shoe - take the footbed out first, and lay your foot over it. Is the footbed wide enough for your foot?, especially when you but weight on the foot. At the big toe, and at the outside edge as well. The footbed is no wider than the rigid sole; yes the material pouches out above to allow for foot splay, but the upper has a different function than the sole. If the floor of the shoe isn't wide enough to begin with, your feet are being cut up from underneath.

Many brands do not proportionally change width as the length gets bigger; a 44EU length may be the same width as the 41EU of the same model/brand.

The upper supports the foot from above; medial arch support is controlled by the topmost strap/buckle, and enhances what ever the arch in the footbed is.This is where we see the biggest difference between road and tri design.
Tri shoes are less structured, more open, more 'meshy'. Road shoes are structured, high heel cup, lots of buckles etc. Yes it's easier to get into/out of tri shoes with one big velcro; also sport-specific features like the pull-on tab, drain holes, or wicking materials.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: bike shoes [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been looking at a set of LG Tri-X and curious if that's similar to the LS-100. I found a couple solid reviews, on them. However, I just want a pair that I can wear no matter if I'm racing, riding, or training. Thanks.

Go where you feel most alive. |TriHub
Quote Reply
Re: bike shoes [Alphatri36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alphatri36 wrote:
I've been looking at a set of LG Tri-X and curious if that's similar to the LS-100. I found a couple solid reviews, on them. However, I just want a pair that I can wear no matter if I'm racing, riding, or training. Thanks.
Similar maybe in some small ways... but you've got a different upper, shoe closing mechanisms, sole material which is a big one, etc.

Like I said I like all of the LG shoes I've ever owned... all of my current road/mountain shoes are LGs.
Quote Reply