Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Lanzarote potential course change
Quote | Reply
I'm planning on doing IM Lanzarote in May 2018. I've cycled in Lanzarote amny times and the roads and the IM Bike course are awesome.

However, I see they've had to change the bike course for Lanzarote 70.3 due to some new Spanish law that states all competitions on open roads must now be on fully closed roads (both sides). Does this mean that the Ironman bike course will need to be changed too. That would be terrible news as the round the island bike loop is legendary.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lanzarote potential course change [GBord11965] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pulling this one back up. Has the course been changed for this year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lets say you have a small race like the extreme iron distance event that will go in Spanish pyrennes in late may. Only a few hundred or less competitors. How does that work. They are not going to close 180 k of roads for hours

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lanzarote potential course change [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard that the course was going to change but not dramatically. You would still go up to Haria, Los Nieves and Rio but would miss out the loop to club la santa. The difference would be made up on the way back from Rio in the middle of the Island. I even saw a map with the route on but cannot find it at the moment. It would make the bike slightly easier but it would still be all around the island.

I have done IM Lanza 6 times but have not been able to get back there for a few years. If they do change the course I will be gutted :-( It was an absolute classic.

ETA: Found the link that was sent to me of the new course. The friend that sent it to me is not linked to IM so I cannot confirm this is definitely the new route.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/17771844

Old road to Nazret has gone - nobody will miss that one!!!!

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Last edited by: earthling: Mar 31, 18 7:40
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lanzarote potential course change [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going there on Thursday.

I’ll let you know any local/inside info I happen to hear.

Cheers,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lanzarote potential course change [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumor is official course will be out on Monday. The new nutrition sponsors have released their course guide which broadly confirms the Garmin file linked above. El Golfo, Timanfya, Los Neves, Haria, Mirador all still on there. Rest seems to be a couple of out and backs added on to make up the distance. La Santa / Famara gone, as is Nazaret!

The rumors all along were that it is changing because the law requires the road closed in both directions. If that is the case could be good.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lanzarote potential course change [iwaters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks slightly less climbing than the old course.

Deceptively slow.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lanzarote potential course change [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:
Old road to Nazret has gone - nobody will miss that one!!!!

That truly was the worst part of the course. Bummer that the new course doesn’t circumnavigate quite like it used to, but it’ll still be tough!! No matter the course, you can’t hide from those winds!

I guess the upside of not going by La Santa is that I won’t get their crazy song stuck in my head.

Re: Ironman Lanzarote potential course change [iwaters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iwaters wrote:
Rumor is official course will be out on Monday. The new nutrition sponsors have released their course guide...

Who are the new nutrition sponsors? Do you know if it's going to be the same one for all the European events now that Powerbar have been given the boot?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lanzarote potential course change [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutrition is by 226ers who ever they are.

http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman/lanzarote/athletes/nutrition/on-course-nutrition.aspx#axzz5C3dqNcbx

Deceptively slow.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lanzarote potential course change [Speckled Hen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speckled Hen wrote:
Nutrition is by 226ers who ever they are.

http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman/lanzarote/athletes/nutrition/on-course-nutrition.aspx#axzz5C3dqNcbx

Yes 226ers is the new one for copenhagen too. I think they are the new Eu sponsor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New course is on the IM website now. Basically the same as the Garmin posted above.

Run route seems to have reverted to the 20km out and 2x10 loop from 2015
Quote Reply