Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kyrie Irving Traded to Celtics
Quote | Reply
It is just me or did the Celtics get fleeced on this one??? This seems nuts to me. Way too much to give up for Kyrie.

The Boston Celtics have acquired All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving from the Cleveland Cavaliers for point guard Isaiah Thomas, forward Jae Crowder, center Ante Zizic and Brooklyn's 2018 unprotected first-round pick, sources tell ESPN.

http://www.espn.com/...irving-isaiah-thomas

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Kyrie Irving Traded to Celtics [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I Celtic fan I hate it. The Cavs were about,to be eliminated as contenders for a long time. LeBron will leave and that front office is in disarray, would panic into a dumb trade for Kyrie. Now, Celtics stock,their roster and future, have a pissed off Thomas ready to tear them up every chance he gets in the conference. Not sure Kyrie was worth it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Celts got the best player in the trade. They gave up Crowder who's redundant with the signing of Hayward. His minutes were going to be limited anyway. But he's on a great contract.
The real haul here was the Nets unprotected 1st Rd pick.

Thomas is on a team friendly contract so that's good for the Cavs.

Sets Cavs up if LBJ leaves next summer. But gives them some good contracts and pieces for trades.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the trade on paper for Boston. They got the best player, by a fair margin, imo. And he's years younger than the next best player, Thomas.

Kyrie is not a number 1 guy, however. He proved that before in Cleveland before BronBron returned. Maybe now will be different as he's older, more mature, etc.

Not bad a bad haul though for Cleveland, in a tough spot given Kyrie's demand. They needed bodies to surround LeBron. Their lack of depth hurt against GSW. This helps with that, but they'll struggle to score.

Still, I think Boston "wins" this trade.

Conspiracy theorist slant: did the league push this trade to make the East playoffs at least mildly interesting?
Quote Reply
Re: Kyrie Irving Traded to Celtics [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Celts still not beating CLE

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: Kyrie Irving Traded to Celtics [jw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really? All the talking heads on ESPN are saying the Cavs won big time. I have to agree. I know the Celtics got the best player, but that doesn't mean they won.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Kyrie Irving Traded to Celtics [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmeer wrote:
Celts still not beating CLE

Not while LeBron is there in his relative prime, but how much longer is that? Does this trade keep,him in Cle? Nor sure it does. But it stocks CLE's roster for after he leaves and keeps,them in contention
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the NBA, I always want the best player in any deal. Time will tell of course, but I feel better about my opinion given that the ESPN idiots disagree.

Also agree that CLE will still beat Boston. And barring injury, GSW will still beat the East.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Irving couldn't carry CLE before Bron Bron. He's not going to carry Boston - they got fleeced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the Cavs won more. Thomas fits, they still have scorers, and they got the pick. I think the Celtics won too. They needed Irving more than they needed Thomas.

Irving is really good. But the way he gets big numbers takes away numbers from Love and James.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Kyrie Irving Traded to Celtics [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
Irving couldn't carry CLE before Bron Bron. He's not going to carry Boston - they got fleeced.

That's my feeling as well.

Quote Reply
Re: Kyrie Irving Traded to Celtics [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
I think the Cavs won more. Thomas fits, they still have scorers, and they got the pick. I think the Celtics won too. They needed Irving more than they needed Thomas.

Irving is really good. But the way he gets big numbers takes away numbers from Love and James.

Nobody takes number from James. If Lebron wanted to hog the ball, he would. He could score 35 a game... if he wanted to. That's just not how he plays.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jw13 wrote:
In the NBA, I always want the best player in any deal. Time will tell of course, but I feel better about my opinion given that the ESPN idiots disagree.

Also agree that CLE will still beat Boston. And barring injury, GSW will still beat the East.

Your last point is why I think this was a bad deal. Celtics should be thinking about life after Bron-Bron leaves the East and GSW is blown up. That pick they lost could be huge.

Quote Reply
Re: Kyrie Irving Traded to Celtics [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
j p o wrote:

Nobody takes number from James. If Lebron wanted to hog the ball, he would. He could score 35 a game... if he wanted to. That's just not how he plays.

But did Irving give LeBron and Love better numbers (as in more production) with his numbers added than Thomas will combined with them? Irving created for himself, very well. Thomes creates for others.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could be, but maybe not. I think people overestimate the value of future picks, when the reality is they don't always pan out. This is true in most sports.

As for the future, Kyrie is 25. Thomas much older. Plus trading Thomas saves Boston from having to make a tough decision about whether to sign him to a max or near max deal. I would argue that moving Thomas and averting that scenario is another aspect of this trade that favors Boston.

Cleveland doesn't care about the future. It's now or never for them. So this deal "makes sense" for them, but I don't see them as winners. This is one that will have to be judged a few years from now. Next year, clearly, Cleveland will (barring injury) be far better than Boston, but that's only because of LeBron.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Celtics fan here...

As much as I love IT, he is probably not worth the max contract he will be soon demanding (as good as he's been he probably hit his ceiling already, he wont grow half a foot and is 3 years older than Kyrie with a hip injury), Crowder would have to sit behind Hayward and take minutes from Tatum (Celts are gambling here on Tatum's upside lets hope it works out) and what I think is the most important thing is that the Nets might not suck as badly as they have for two years in a row, if that pick falls out of the top-5 in a draft that is probably the least loaded in the past 3 years then the trade will look good, if that pick suddenly becomes a no.1 pick for a future all-star then the trade looks bad for Boston, I think that with JBrown and Tatum in their pocket Boston could take the risk of losing that pick, Hayward, Horford and Kyrie are a decent enough base that Brad Stevens can work wonders with, I'm trying to be optimistic about a trade I'm not in love with.
Cleveland will probably work through some injuries (D-Rose? IT? Wade probably?) and Boston has better chances of staying healthy, will that beat GSW? No, seems that nothing will these days...
Quote Reply
Re: Kyrie Irving Traded to Celtics [Prince_Denmark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Celtics definitely got hosed on this trade. Kyrie is good, but not that good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still like this trade for the Celts...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jw13 wrote:
I still like this trade for the Celts...

Ya think??? Cleveland just took on $50M of salary and shipped their pick to LA. along with Thomas. Looks like they just traded Wade to the Heat.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need a flow chart or a graph demonstrating WHO plays for the Cavs at this point (not named Lebron)
Quote Reply
Re: Kyrie Irving Traded to Celtics [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
I need a flow chart or a graph demonstrating WHO plays for the Cavs at this point (not named Lebron)

Seems like they need to schedule a team dinner just to get to know everyone.

Quote Reply
Re: Kyrie Irving Traded to Celtics [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy cow. It was certainly obvious to everyone that the Cavs were in a deep state of dysfunction, but still you don't expect them to completely make over the roster like that in 3 different trades bam-bam-bam all in the span of a couple hours. Guess their GMs been a little busy, huh? Not much time for all the new parts to jell now before playoffs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: Feb 8, 18 11:44
Quote Reply