Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

obit: James 'Doc' Counsilamn
Quote | Reply
http://www.swiminfo.com/lane9/news/6469.asp

He was best known as the coach of Mark Spitz. Which really sells short the man who changed American swimming more than anyone else in history. He invented the pace clock, pioneered the idea of interval swim sets, pioneered the filming/videotaping of the stroke and was the first seroius scientist of swimming. At one time, he was also the oldest swimmer to successfully cross the English Channel.

He will be missed.
Quote Reply
Thanks Jill [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am glad some remembers who the Doc was and what he did. I just about wore out his book trying to steal a bit more speed when I was a kid. I did chance to shake his hand once, he was one of the great ones. But that puts you pretty old for caring. Aloha G
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks Jill [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a pioneer! Modern competitive swimming would not be where it is today if it was'nt for "Doc". His mind was always about how to find a better way. And a better way was found on many occasion.

My hats off to ya' Doc!
Quote Reply
Re: obit: James 'Doc' Counsilamn [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doc was the Holy Grail of swimming when I was young, and Mark Spitz was my idol/hero. Mark was by no means though, the only world champion Doc coached, just the best known outside of swimming circles. RIP, Doc.
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks Jill [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, I'm not that old. (31) But I went to his IU swim camp back in the mid 80s when I was junior high age, and you just couldn't not come away from that without a strong favorable impression of the man.
Quote Reply
With all due respect to Doc... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Spitz did most of his "matriculatin' " under George Haynes at Santa Clara. I swam against Mark on several occasions, so I'm not guessing on this one. I don't recall him swimming for Councilman until AFTER he was great.

Takes nothing away, because Doc was a great coach.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Last edited by: Cousin Elwood: Jan 8, 04 0:12
Quote Reply