Prev Next
Re: Concept2 BikeErg [jmjtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmjtri wrote:
Pantelones wrote:
jmjtri wrote:
Bdaghisallo wrote:
jmjtri wrote:
To be fair, Bike power meters don't measure power either. They calculate it . Most bike power meters measure strain, then calculate force and then work and then power.

They don't measure it directly, but they do measure the inputs of the power=force x velocity equation directly. C2 seems to track metrics that infer those inputs with assumptions thrown in to get them there.

Force isn't measured from the power meter. It is calculated from the recorded strain of the crank. These assumptions that you're talking about aren't assumptions. They're variables. You can calculate power based on acceleration of a free wheel too. As long as the mass and rotational inertia of the wheel are known it will be accurate.

Actually most PMs doesn't record the strain, they measure the resistance change for a metallic foil pattern as the pattern deforms on the body of observation. Strain/Stress is inferred from the resistance change.

Who wants to be the next pedant to correct me?

You're literally describing a strain gauge.

That is because most powermeters literally use strain gauges.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 BikeErg [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
endosch2 wrote:
This will be a killer product if the power is accurate. It looks like you can interchange regular bike parts such as seats, pedals, crank arms. I cant wait for some DCR testing on it.

It may be that the target is crossfit gyms as someone else said.

Their stuff is great, I am wondering why it took so long to get in this space...

Re-read my post. Power is calculated—not measured—with the PM5. So not as accurate as a powermeter. The bike body is not adjustable, and from the photos looks too long, unless you're a 100kg, 2.2m tall male.

I'm not sure this gear is DCR's purview. From first glance, this seems to be more of a gym toy (crossfit) or a cross training tool for injured rowers, than a high performance cycling/tri training tool.

Lastly: their stuff—oars and sculls—is not that awesome; it's satisfactory enough but with a high defect rate/low qc, IME.

Power in cycling power meter is also "calculated" from measured deflection, known geometry and cadence. Measuring power on ergometer performance should be no less accurate. May be more accurate.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 BikeErg [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure I agree on the poor C2 quality control either. Speaking with 20 years of experience in the UK and Switzerland, where C2 is by far the market leader for oars, I don't remember ever having a single problem with any blades other than following crashes. This is with new blades, old blades, lots of transporting them around the country in the bottom of trailers to regattas etc etc....

If the bike erg is built anything like their normal ergs, it will be super solid and last for a couple of decades with some occasional maintenance.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 BikeErg [ni31mo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ni31mo wrote:
Not sure I agree on the poor C2 quality control either. Speaking with 20 years of experience in the UK and Switzerland, where C2 is by far the market leader for oars, I don't remember ever having a single problem with any blades other than following crashes. This is with new blades, old blades, lots of transporting them around the country in the bottom of trailers to regattas etc etc....

If the bike erg is built anything like their normal ergs, it will be super solid and last for a couple of decades with some occasional maintenance.

The ergs are sturdy; oars have issues: Vortex edges falling off, aluminum handles coming unglued, newer torx handles not being adjustable and/or coming loose in the shaft, sleeves/collars not matching, etc, etc. I never indicated anything about usage numbers. We're not seeing the same kinds of issues on oar brands w/ simpler designs and fewer parts.

I agree that the ergbike thing—if built like an erg—should be study, if nothing else.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Aug 23, 17 3:01
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 BikeErg [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Power in cycling power meter is also "calculated" from measured deflection, known geometry and cadence. Measuring power on ergometer performance should be no less accurate. May be more accurate.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6400399#p6400399

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 BikeErg [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

It's safe to say the concept2 ergometer won't be more accurate than current generation powermeters unless they add significant tech to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 BikeErg [ni31mo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ni31mo wrote:

100% agree. The BikeErg will last a lifetime for individual users. This is coming from 25 years on their rowing ergometers (Model's B, C & D) and 3 years on the new SkiErg. Concept 2 makes incredibly durable machines. I'm just waiting for them to make a SwimErg!!!

And now we have a unique indoor triathlon: Row, Bike, & Ski!
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 BikeErg [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DC Pattie wrote:
ni31mo wrote:
I'm just waiting for them to make a SwimErg!!!

And now we have a unique indoor triathlon: Row, Bike, & Ski!

Would you expect the C2 SwimErg to be any better than the Vasa Swim Erg?

What do you think of the C2 SkiErg? Is it realistic?
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 BikeErg [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
couldn't you just replace the handles on the SkiErg with Paddles and use the machine as a "SwimErg"?
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 BikeErg [lmar77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone uses a BikeErg for Zwift? How do you change gears? I'm asking for a friend (I have a tacx neo), but am trying to spread the Zwift love to others.

Ken

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight." - Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 BikeErg [redtdi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
redtdi wrote:
Has anyone uses a BikeErg for Zwift? How do you change gears? I'm asking for a friend (I have a tacx neo), but am trying to spread the Zwift love to others.

Ken

You don't change gears. It uses an adjustable damper to very resistance of the flywheel. It works similar to a fluid trainer in that the faster you go the harder it is to pedal and the more power you produce.

The damper affects how much power it takes to move the flywheel at a given speed or cadence. A lower damper setting will allow for a higher cadence to produce the same power as a lower cadence with a more open damper setting.

The monitor on the unit is calibrated to adjust for different damper settings.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 BikeErg [suahoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect this will be a surprisingly loud product given how loud most wind-based bike trainers are. Might be enough of a game-killer compared to a nearly silent stationary bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 BikeErg [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not as loud as most air resistance trainers because of the enclosure and the fact that the flywheel turns slower than most other air resistance trainers.

It certainly won't be as quiet as other types of resistance though.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 BikeErg [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No FE-C control of resistance and still a 1000 bucks? According to DCR, we'll soon be seeing lots of indoor bikes with FE-C, and they'll be priced very competitively. I'd think this thing is DOA for folks in the know. Might have appeal to the camping, "green," or zombie apocalypse crowd though, as it'll work without electricity.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 BikeErg [DJFaithful] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJFaithful wrote:
No FE-C control of resistance and still a 1000 bucks? According to DCR, we'll soon be seeing lots of indoor bikes with FE-C, and they'll be priced very competitively. I'd think this thing is DOA for folks in the know. Might have appeal to the camping, "green," or zombie apocalypse crowd though, as it'll work without electricity.

It's not targeted towards the cycling crowd. It's targeted more towards the crossfit/MMA or general home exercise people. If it's built as well as C2's other products it will last a lifetime, requires little to no maintenance, reliable, accurate performance monitor, relatively compact and lightweight.

It can work with Zwift and trainer road which is a bonus.

Most of the $1000 indoor bikes are going to have more maintenance, relatively poor resistance feel and will not be nearly as reliable nor last as long.

So, it depends on what someone is looking for.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 BikeErg [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My C2 Model D erg makes a fairly inoffensive "whoooosh" noise when I put my back into it, but it's nothing like the jet-shriek that the LeMond makes - or the fairly loud whine the Kickr I have now makes. The sound it makes wouldn't stop me from purchasing it (but the numerous other things it's lacking in a world full of smart trainers would).

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 BikeErg [mongooseman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 BikeErg [DJFaithful] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good link - nothing surprising to me there at all. They had a big opportunity, but I think they've had as much out of the core componentry of the erg as they're going to get.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply

Prev Next