Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BMC TM01 3 Reviews
Quote | Reply
Just wondering if anyone had reviews of the BMC TM01 3. Also, if the Mavic set that come with the model are worth keeping or swapping out. Ive read some good reviews as they compared to other products in the $1k range.

Thanks

http://www.bmc-switzerland.com/...imemachine-01-three/

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 3 Reviews [triscooteremu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not a lot of data, but I have a couple of recent second-hand interactions with BMC. I don't sell BMC, but will refer people to local shops if a BMC fits them. I've never ridden one, personally.

I also had two customers test ride a timemachine 02. along with several other bikes.

I fit a guy on this exact bike a couple of weeks ago. His previous bike was an AeroCat, which was about 7-8 years old. He seems to be having some mixed emotions. He spent a lot of money and maybe thought he would see a big improvement. I think he really wants to love this bike, but I'm not sure he's completely happy with it. His first race with it didn't go well, but that had nothing to do with the bike. He put his Zipp disc and 808 front on it because he had them, so didn't spend any time whatsoever on the Mavics. He tried the stock Tritone saddle, but we soon swapped that for the ISM Road off his old bike.

Another customer went out and did test rides on several bikes from different shops, including the timemachine 02. He hated it - it was too stiff and beat him up. He described it as "clunky" and harsh. He ended up with a P2 because he liked the ride. He said the Felt IA and B14 rode almost as nicely as the Cervelo, and the Giant Trinity was almost as bad as the BMC. Of course, this is the timemachine 02, so the harshness of the ride could be different than the 01. While the geometries are identical, I don't know about the layup, carbon fiber grade, etc.

Another customer happened to be testing bikes at the same shop at the same time as the previous guy I mentioned. They were actually swapping back and forth with each other (although they didn't know each other, which I found kind of amusing). He ended up preferring the timemachine 02, and I'll be finishing up his fit on it tonight. He did his first race on it based on the bike shop setting it up according to my specifications, and wasn't happy. But, there are several factors at play here - new triathlete with a new bike, the bike shop might have missed on the measurements (he specifically mentioned the aerobar pads feeling too close, so I have a feeling they went outside-to-outside rather than center-to-center), I may have typo'ed something, etc. We'll learn more tonight.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 3 Reviews [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Travis.

I was riding a Felt B2R and unfortunately, it hit the garage and went bye bye.

With that, I think my brands to choose from the LBS are Cannondale, Felt, BMC and Giant. They already stripped my B2R down and I think the only thing I want off of it are the Zipp 404s and the powermeter. The shop recommended I get a GURU fit which I will accept as it has been sometime since I last did it. Probably notice I got shorter. But they have been recommending BMC left and right. In looking at all the bikes, I am wanting a more relaxed fit so the recommended the DA instead of the IA. I think if possible, all should be tried out.

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great questions! I have a 2012 TM01 and love it. But the new 2017 TM01 is very attractive due to the ability to pull the cockpit completely off when packing. But is that sufficient reason to upgrade when I can't find anything (i.e., data) on how much less drag the newer TM01 tests in the wind tunnel. I get the "tri" advantages the new design has built-in, but these are secondary to speed. I would love to see the new TM01 in the next edition of the independent aero shootout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a TMO1 & 2. Bought them both slightly before the new models came out. I love them.

The new breaks seem like a huge upgrade, but as long as I keep the race wheels on the 01 and training wheels on the 02, really doesn't matter (to me).

Great bikes....
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 3 Reviews [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was on the website and tried to find out myself, but I couldn't figure what you meant when you say pulled the cockpit? Can you direct me to anything about that?
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 3 Reviews [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
I was on the website and tried to find out myself, but I couldn't figure what you meant when you say pulled the cockpit? Can you direct me to anything about that?

Watch this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYFF_EA1f1M

I can unbuild/rebuild my 2012 TM01 in about 20 mins either way, but it is mechanical and the cables are a pain to get under the cap when rebuilding. By contrast, the disassembly of the new TM01 is pure Swiss genius.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the new TM02 (I guess they call it TM02 One now) with the same Mavic wheels. Nice pair of wheels for a "stock" set. I use them for races and swap out with a cheaper set of Vuelta Corsas for training. Interesting to note that Mavic does not sell these wheels a la carte so it is impossible to replace them. My LBS made a dent in the foam coating of my wheels and is now trying to replace them with a comparable set.

As for the bike, I love it. Well-engineered, fits well, looks cool, easy to disassemble, etc. However, seems a bit on the heavy end for tri bikes.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the previous generation of TM01 (bought last year just before the redesign). It's a sweet bike but man it's a PITA to switch out between training and race wheels. The rear brakes are so heavily integrated on the rear wheel that I have to pull off the chainrings to get access into the bolts for swapping brake pads / spacers :-/! The stock crank might have had some sort of opening meant for that - but I'm on a Quarq + Rotors and with that setup, I can't get to them w/o removing it.

I don't have a ton of time riding or racing the bike though - so I can't give much feedback there. I crashed hard my second time out and then have only ridden it in one 70.3 since. It sits on the trainer most days instead :-D, but for a trainer bike, it's pretty damn comfortable!

The one thing I will note though is that the stock front end feels awkward to me. There's something off in terms of how much weight is up front that seems to throw off the balance quite a bit compared to my older road bike (a Giant Defy). This is part of why I crashed on it - I lost my balance on a rough spot and didn't have a good grip at the time during a descent.
Last edited by: daswafford: Aug 16, 17 22:11
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 3 Reviews [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been running Enve System 8.9s on my 2012 TM01 since shortly after I bought it ... for both training and racing. In a few windy races I've used a shallower race wheel up front and have had to adjust the pad spacing, but I never play with the back. I've never noticed anything off in the front handling and have done several descents with a few technical sections in the Alps. The prior generation is simply a fantastic bike. I wish someone would come onto this thread who has experience with both the old and new TM01.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I've been running Enve System 8.9s on my 2012 TM01 since shortly after I bought it ... for both training and racing. In a few windy races I've used a shallower race wheel up front and have had to adjust the pad spacing, but I never play with the back. I've never noticed anything off in the front handling and have done several descents with a few technical sections in the Alps. The prior generation is simply a fantastic bike. I wish someone would come onto this thread who has experience with both the old and new TM01.

The TM01 is my first and only tri bike - so yeah, my impression on the handling could be just from the fact that I've never ridden one before this. No regrets though and I would gladly buy this bike again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Great questions! I have a 2012 TM01 and love it. But the new 2017 TM01 is very attractive due to the ability to pull the cockpit completely off when packing. But is that sufficient reason to upgrade when I can't find anything (i.e., data) on how much less drag the newer TM01 tests in the wind tunnel. I get the "tri" advantages the new design has built-in, but these are secondary to speed. I would love to see the new TM01 in the next edition of the independent aero shootout.

A reasonable "sufficient reason to upgrade" is because you want a new bike ;) Its an addiction!

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any insight on the TM01 and SC Gen2+, which bike wins the pain in the ass to adjust rear brake award?
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 3 Reviews [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boilerup wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

A reasonable "sufficient reason to upgrade" is because you want a new bikeA ;) Its an addiction!

Agreed, but it has to be an UPGRADE. Show me the aero numbers!!
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 3 Reviews [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote daswaffordIt's a sweet bike but man it's a PITA to switch out between training and race wheels. The rear brakes are so heavily integrated on the rear wheel that I have to pull off the chainrings to get access into the bolts for swapping brake pads / spacers :-/![/quote]
I can't help you with the spacers (I run the same width training and racing wheels), but it's a common modification to use Avid Shorty Ultimate brake shoes/pad holders in place of the Time Machine's rear brake shoes. The screw that holds the pad in is located in a spot that allows you to reach without pulling off your crank. That makes changing pads a MUCH quicker ordeal.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 3 Reviews [b-rudy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My LBS also made a dent in the foam coating.
Was your LBS able to repair/ recover a spare wheel from Mavic, or how did they solve it in the end?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually just picked mine (TM01-Three 2018) and so far i am enjoying it.
I don't believe at this price point there will be major changes to whatever bike you end up with, its just whatever fits you better.

The whole V-cockpit thing is a great system and very easy to adjust & disassemble for travel. Also with the newer models, they fixed the brake integration problems with the quick pad technology, so its much easier to swap wheels now.

I was planning on selling the CXR wheels but the bike actually came with the new Mavic Comete Carbon Pro 65 wheels, which are pretty nice, so i am keeping them.

The brake booster technology is also a strong +, you wont ever worry about what rim size you are using since there is a huge brake clearance, other than that, it works great.

Another + is the profile design areo extensions, this basically gives you the freedom to using whatever extension you were using in the past, and keeping a set of spare pads/bars/brackets for race day.
I like this more than being stuck with one option (Like the CF-SLX)

Great bike overall, totally worth the investment if that's what you are looking for.
Last edited by: Zakalunce: Nov 21, 17 13:28
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 3 Reviews [Zakalunce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wondering if anyone has any more recent reviews?
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 3 Reviews [Zakalunce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zakalunce wrote:
The whole V-cockpit thing is a great system and very easy to adjust & disassemble for travel. Also with the newer models, they fixed the brake integration problems with the quick pad technology, so its much easier to swap wheels now.

I want to like this bike so badly, because that cockpit really is genius and Canyon's constant shortage of spare/replacement components is just beyond aggravating.... but every time I look at that goose neck cockpit I just want to cry.... But maybe I'm even more vain than your average triathlete......
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 3 Reviews [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With your stack and reach numbers, I’d size up to a Large with a flat cockpit. You are very close to me in numbers. My saddle height is 182, pictured it was 175 for ref...running 165 crank

Last edited by: mike s: Sep 6, 18 14:13
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 3 Reviews [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting.... Stack was much too high with Large for V-cockpit. I hadn't really considered the flat cockpit setup as it seems a bit like a hassle to order/spec it that way. What is the stand-over height on the large? That would be my main concern fitwise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just measured and its 835
Last edited by: mike s: Sep 6, 18 14:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
Interesting.... Stack was much too high with Large for V-cockpit. I hadn't really considered the flat cockpit setup as it seems a bit like a hassle to order/spec it that way. What is the stand-over height on the large? That would be my main concern fitwise.

You sound like someone who called my shop about this bike, but maybe not. The other issue is pad width, which these super bikes don't have endless adjustments given how the aerobars are mounted.

The Factor Slick seemed to have the best of all worlds, including nice aesthetics with that 51SpeedShop cockpit.

As an aside, BMC needs to do something about the mismatching storage box. It can't be smaller than the frame.
Quote Reply