Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

swim fins
Quote | Reply
What is it that swim fins are actually supposed to help in training?

Also, what is a good way to make a weak kick, "ass kicken" strong?

Still,

way too slow
Quote Reply
Re: swim fins [waytooslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's an easy one. Get Fins! They make your kick stronger. Not over night but if you do your kicking sets, drills, and some stroking with the fins everntually your ankles will loosen up and your kicking will improve. It worked for me! I use Zoomers.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: swim fins [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do your legs get stronger because with the fins on there is more resistance when kicking? Is that the whole idea? I always feel like I am cheating when I use my fins and so I take them off after a few minutes. Please enlighten me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it does feel like cheating if you use fins when swimming, but use them some anyway, and use them with a kickboard. I don't know if they strengthen your legs, but they do improve your kick. I think the biggest part is loosening your ankles so you can point your toes. Another thing you can do is to really point your toes when using a pull bouy. Point them until your calves cramp. Use the fins with the kick board, when drilling and point your toes until it hurts and you will be on your way to being a strong kicker.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you think you have a weak kick? Is it because you've measured the amount of watts your kick generates and it is a standard deviation lower than everyone else at the pool?

If you are complaining about your kick, then there are 3 possible explanations, in order of probability:
1. Your body position is bad with your hips and legs dropping.
2. You have hit a plateau and don't know what to do to improve
3. You've got exceptionally weak legs or horrible kicking form.

Option 3 is unlikely weak legs if you are a runner and cyclist. Possibly you are one of those people who kick as if they are cycling?

I think you will find that the single most accepted use for fins (among skilled and knowlegeable swimmers) is to keep your speed high enough during some drills that you can maintain good body position easily. This allows you to focus on the skill you are drilling for. Blue zoomers are perfect for this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One way you can compensate a little for inflexible ankles is to point your toes slightly inward on the kick. This will allow your foot to rotate more towards 180 deg. and maybe even a little past. Try it on dry land and you will see how it works. If your big toes brush each other once in every 8-10 kicks you are doing it.
Quote Reply