Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Numb Unit
Quote | Reply
So I am riding my by bike on the trainer the other night, after about 30 minutes or so I sit upright to towel off a bit and adjust the unit. I reach down and it is 100%, absolutely numb...no feeling at all. I kind of slide around on the saddle a bit until I can feel some blood flowing around down there, but that position felt kind of uncomfortable. When I would move back into a comfortable position the numbness would return. I was just wearing triathlon shorts with a thin fleece pad, but now that I think about it I've kind of felt the same in my regular cycling shorts as well, I just hadn't "confirmed" the numbness before.

I don't have a lot of miles on this bike, only about 30, but I have other bikes where this is not a problem. Could this problem be fixed by a new seat, or is it a whole bike fit issue? Needless to say it is a little scary.
Quote Reply
Re: Numb Unit [joelface] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it is a fit issue and that the cut out seats are just a gimmick (IMHO).

Saddle trick : What you need, as Dan puts it, is a place to put your taint. Tinley told me back in the 80s to just tap the seat nose to the side away from your hang, so your taint runs along the side of the saddle instead of on top of it. Make sense? I'll be happy to spell it out better if need be. I still ride a trusty old flite Ti saddle and have never had any issues with my tool at all.

Good Luck.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Jan 24, 03 8:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seat level on the trainer? or is it upright in the front?

Stretching to far to the stem?

Seat a hair to high?

Seats are always uncomfortable but shouldn't cause numbeness?

Have a seam in shorts?

Wrong cleat position?
Quote Reply
Re: Numb Unit [Matt Berner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good questions. While I haven't quite had the attention of a Tom Demerly on my bike fit, I was given some attention when I purchased the bike, probably not enough though.

I definitely don't "feel" I am stretching too far to the stem, but from what I read here that doesn't sound like it means anything.

As far as seat height and cleat position...I suppose I really do need to go shell out some cash for a real bike fitting. Any ideas where to go in Seattle?
Quote Reply
Re: Numb Unit [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
Saddle trick : What you need, as Dan puts it, is a place to put your taint. Tinley told me back in the 80s to just tap the seat nose to the side away from your hang, so your taint runs along the side of the saddle instead of on top of it. [/reply]

John Cobb has (or had) this recommendation on his website. He said to turn the saddle ~2deg to this side (0 being along the top tube). I think that I am going to try is this year when I start to hit the road for longer rides. I have been
riding the MTB in the cold of the north-east.

A
Quote Reply
Re: Numb Unit [NJbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
John Cobb has (or had) this recommendation on his website. He said to turn the saddle ~2deg to this side (0 being along the top tube). I think that I am going to try is this year when I start to hit the road for longer rides. I have been
riding the MTB in the cold of the north-east.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Angling the saddle helps for me. I usually do not have a problem on the road, but on the trainer I sometimes do. This has to do with the bike being in the same position all the time. On the road you are always getting movement with the bike and fluctuations on the incline of the road. On the trainer you are on a fixed incline and position, so the exact same part of your anatomy is always pushing against the seat.

Actually a buddy and me were talking about making a front wheel block that raised and lowered the front wheel on a continuous basis. Probably a very limited market however.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The seat rotation is a big helper. The nose up-down position is also critical to pressure, too low and your weight is on your arms and too high and you feel impaled. I was having a lot of numbness and bought a new seat with a cutout. It didn't do much by itself but the first time I rotated my seat I was comfy for a 5 hour ride. Ti-Cycles does fitting in Seattle. I haven't used them. I have used a camcorder on a tripod and my trainer. It's a good way to see what your really doing on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Until you resolve any position and equipment issues, a quick fix on the trainer is to stand and pedal out of the saddle every 20-30 minutes. It usually only takes me a minute or less of this to relieve any pressure build-up and resulting numbness.

You might also try training in a good pair of bibs or shorts. When you wear your tri shorts you could also add a neoperine saddle cover. QR and DeSoto make these.

Richard
Last edited by: R Isgrigg: Jan 24, 03 11:18
Quote Reply
Re: Numb Unit [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, they already sell the blocks that raise your front wheel to match your back. If a good number of those that ride a trainer feel the numbness, you've got a market. You may even sell more than those blocks, since some of us have realized that an 8" piece of 2x4 is the perfect fit under the front tire, but still allows numbness. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only have this problem on the trainer, too, not the road. I've adjusted the seat every which way, and the numbness is alleviated somewhat, but still occurs. I simply do what someone else said above and get out of the saddle every now again. I have to do it more like every 10 minutes rather than the 20-30 referenced above, and usually only stand for 30 seconds.

I am pleased to note that I have been spending quite a bit of time on the trainer this year, and everything remains functional, however. I recommend frequent testing using the protocol of your choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Numb Unit [ncooksey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Up until pretty recently, and for the last 2 or 3 years, I was the guy who did the "high - end" bike fits at TiCycles in Seattle. If you came into the store looking for a fit and sounded like you were picky/detail oriented, they would have you call me to set up an appointment. I essentially sub-contracted for them.

Since I left, they haven't really replaced me, and while the current staff is pretty good for your basic road/mountain or FitKit session, I wouldn't recommend going in there for a Tri/TT fit, unless you can swing an appointment with Dave, the owner/builder. He is in the shop every other wednesday or so.

I still have a small group of folks who call me every so often for fit advice, and I will occasionally work with them out of my house, or at their home if they have an appropriate setup. Most of my fit/bike experience is road related, so I hesitate to offer myself up as the best resource available, however I have had very good luck with the triathletes I have worked with in the past (now if only one of them would offer to help me with my swimming...)

I definately don't want to solicit work on this forum, but it sounds like Seattle folks are feeling at a bit of a loss, and I might be able to help some of them. If anyone is interested, they can contact me for references and fit philosophy etc. at smallmaker@msn.com

Matthew H

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply