Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? July 24 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 24 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't set goals last week; it was my last week home and I just wanted to enjoy it (which I did :-)

M: 10.6 mi run + 1425 yd swim
T: 7 mi run + 1925 yd swim
W: 6.8 mi run (4 x 1mi @ 7:03 pace) + 2100 yd swim
T: 8.2 mi run + 1550 yd swim
F: off
S: 8.1 mi run + 10 min sidestroke in a small hotel pool
S: 7.7 mi run w/ 10k @ 8:00 pace broken into intervals ranging from 1 to 2 mi + 700 yd swim

Totals 7900 yd swim, 48.4 mi run

Goals for this week:
run outside at least once
ride 20 mi
swim 5x

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dr. Tigerchik, thanks for getting us started -- I hope you had an easy move and are getting settled in on your new campus.

My goals last week were:

3 swims, 3 bikes, 3 runs (including a long brick), 2 strength sessions, at least 1 yoga class and daily p/rehab. Nothing special.

I hit all my goals. I did all three of my swims in the ocean and swam over 9,000 yards (that is a lot of swimming for me!). My bikes were two trainer rides and one long hilly ride after a long swim -- still haven't gotten on the tri bike off the trainer but I'm working toward it. My runs were mixed -- two were hot, sticky, and icky but one felt super strong. Just one yoga class, which seems to be what works with my schedule. I also went kayaking in the LA River off all places and that was really fun and interesting.

This week my goals are the same as last week -- 3 swims, 3 bikes, 3 runs (including a brick), 2 strength sessions, 1 yoga class, and daily p/rehab. I noticed that I am less motivated to do high quality pr/rehab on the weekends so I'm going to make a point to be better at that.

I hope everyone has a great week of training!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I met all my goals! They were: run x 2, do the Wednesday night TT on my TT bike, do my first 100+mile ride (and enjoy it!)

Runs went well-ish. My body wants to go faster but I just don't have the running fitness to go faster; it'll come with time!

The TT went well. I was expecting to go 1:15-1:20 on a 22.8miles/36.7km course and landed up doing 1:12:30. That was with fairly conservative pacing and really cautious turns/u-turns so I was really happy about that.

Imperial century is done AND I had fun. It was the "160km" version of the Tour de Alberta. In reality it was closer to 171km/106miles. There was only one point (about 100km in) where I felt terrible and that was probably due to not drinking/eating enough in the first 75km. Some tourtiere at the second rest stop fixed that right up and the rest of the ride went well. Our riding time was about 5:44 and chip time was 6:18. Already thinking about how to go faster next year.

I'm very proud of myself. I did the 100km version of this event in 2014 and it was my first metric century. Digging out the old garmin file i see it took me 4.5 hours of riding and an additional 1:20 of rest stops to get through that ride. It's sometimes difficult for me to see that I am improving as a cyclist but yesterday stands out for me as a solid example of how I have improved.

This week: run x 2, spend some time on the TT bike to prepare for next week's 40km TT. I'd like to get in another 150miles of cycling by the end of the month so try and make that happen :D
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 24 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent work Scheherazade!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! It looks like a great week for hitting goals or getting great workouts in even without goals. Outstanding!

I had a light week last week. Just piddling along and chilling.

Swim x1
Bike x3
Run x1

I did have a sprint tri on Sunday (local race) and shaved 30 seconds off of last year's time. I added time on the swim and the run, but took it off on the bike (which makes total sense given my current fitness). It looks like it was good enough for 1st in AG and 13th female. It is a pool swim so start times are between 6:30 am - 1:00 pm so it is possible that I got knocked off my spot.

I did bit the bullet and register for IM Santa Cruz 70.3 so I have 6 weeks to get ready for that. I'm just coming off a 70.3 so it is a matter of maintaining and fine tuning.

Goals for this week:

OWS x2
Swim x1
Bike x3
Run x3

Rock on women!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 24 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on your podium, SLOgoing! See you in Santa Cruz.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 24 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Womens, summer is almost over, boo.....

Dr. TC, will you be teaching? When do classes start? SoCal, good for you hitting all your goals. And Slo got a podium!

Scheherazade, congrats on the TT time. Have you done many? Do you like it? Do you train specifically for it? I'm thinking about signing up for one that is coming up in a couple of weeks, mostly because I'm thinking of focusing on bike next year and I want to learn about it when I'm not trying to compete.

I think I've got a pretty good bike setup for TT. However, I don't have a clue about how to go about it. It's a flat 20 mile out and back with some sort of turn at the turnaround. I think the send off is every minute. What's the best way to get started? Any tips for the turn? Do you go as fast as you can over the finish line and stop when/where you can? Are there rules about passing? Can you draft?

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 24 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apologies in advance! I started answering your questions and appear to have written an epic.

I haven't done many. This was my fifth individual TT (third on a TT bike) and I have also done a couple of 2-up TTs (road bike only). They were all club races so no category points in contention or anything serious like that. I do them mainly to challenge myself and I don't really train specifically for them (maybe I should?).

Start: will you have a holder? If you will you can have both feet clipped in and they may give you a little push. We don't have a holder and are set off at minute intervals with warnings at 30 and 10 and countdown from 5. At 30s I clip my dominant foot in; that gives me time to fiddle with what position I want my foot/pedal at. I make sure to start in a gear I know isn't too high. I don't know if this is right or wrong but it's what works for me. Once I'm rolling, I get my second foot in, get into aero and start shifting until I'm in the gear I want to be in.

During: Have a plan for the TT. I find that if I don't think about it in advance I go out too hard and then blow up. If you can pre-ride the course, do it. This will give you useful info on whether it is actually flat (we have a lot of false flats on our courses) and about wind/shelter, road surface etc. I don't have a PM or cadence sensor on my TT bike so I ride totally by RPE. You can pass other riders (and other riders can pass you) but you are not allowed to draft off them. Generally when I get passed I don't even have to reduce my effort to make sure I'm not in the draft zone, they are just that much faster than me.

For turns/u-turns: I come out of aero, I know some people turn in aero but I am not confident enough to do this. In all honesty, I am probably way too cautious because I leave myself plenty of time to get in/out of aero, slow down and make the turn. I have seen others who just pop up at the last second and basically turn on a dime. Not me. I find it useful to have an awareness of who might be coming up on me as I approach the u-turn so I don't feel rushed or crowded.

Finish: I push to the line, then will stop pedalling, stop my garmin and coast until I find a turn around or stop. No need to come to a hard stop right after the line and if there is a rider behind you as you approach the line, they will probably expect you to ride through for a while.

Advice given to me that I haven't had a chance to test/implement yet:
1. If cadence is over 100, shift to harder gear. If cadence is under 90, shift to easier gear.
2. When out of aero for turns/u-turns stay low on the hoods with arms bent and chest over front wheel to get better handling

I have written about a few of my TTs on my blog. They are very course-specific but might give you an idea of my thinking process as I approach each one.
http://littlecondo.tumblr.com/...mpiette-tt-20km-3631
http://littlecondo.tumblr.com/...accord-tt-209km-3925
http://littlecondo.tumblr.com/...ight-racing-367km-tt

Hope this helps, let me know if there's anything you need clarified.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great Forum. Signed up today. HIM LP 9/10/ 2017. Have been r[email][/email]iding, swimming and biking. One brick workout so far. 15 mi ride/1.5 mile run x 2. How can I bring it all together in time for the race? Haven't considered nutrition. Relocated from NY to Bay Area. Tough transition and hours of work are long. Any guidance and support is appreciated. BTW ran SF half yesterday. Oh the hills are a challenge.
Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 24 Edition [NYC262] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome!
I think the most important thing for a HIM is getting the long run (which you have) and long ride distances, and then figure out the nutrition that will get you through the race. I do not think bricks are super important and most good coaches agree with that.

Transitions are hard and moving is tiring!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 24 Edition [NYC262] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the forum! Welcome to the west coast! I'm just 3 hours south of SF (where we get a big more sun). The coast is certainly a great place to live and train (except for headwinds....).

Does Lake Placid have another race in September? I'm not familiar with the 9/10 race you are doing, just curious...

I agree with Tigerchik. Bricks are for those days when you feel like a rock start and just want to go gangbusters. So far as nutrition, just make sure you test it before you race it! And don't forget water. I had one race where I loaded up on tummy-friendly nutrition during the bike but didn't grab plain ol' water and my gut turned into a rock and it hurt so bad to run. Wash it down with water!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Last edited by: SLOgoing: Jul 25, 17 6:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at all you womens kicking ass - way to go!

I didn't do much training last week - only ran 3 times - but I did about 40km or so of walking as well, and a lot of this:

Two nights of camping in Algonquin Park to start off, including running the Bat Lake Trail.

Two nights camping just outside Ottawa, including most of a day devoted to the Canadian War Museum (something my husband - an ex Forces member - has always wanted to see) and a walk 'round Byward Market and the Parliament grounds.

We rode through Gatineau Park as we left Ottawa for Quebec, and running the challenging but absolutely stunning Wolf Trail was one of the highlights of the trip for me.

Ran right down to Blanchet Beach afterward for a dip in Meech Lake to cool off.

Then on to Montreal for a couple of nights, including catching a Just for Laughs Comedy Festival performance on Friday night.

(obligatory Basilique Notre Dame walk-by shot)

Then our last night was camping in Ferris Provincial Park, which has some fun trails and the stunning Ranney Gorge - there is a small but incredibly powerful waterfall, and a neat suspension bridge over the gorge.

Looking toward the bridge

The falls

I also ran a good chunk of the Drumlin Trail System before we left - it's very odd wearing running kit under my leathers to ride to the trailhead and changing from boots to shoes and gaiters when we arrive, but at least my footwear taste is consistent:

A quick 5-odd kilometer run through the woods:

Then one last hike with Tanker to the falls and onto the slightly vertiginous suspension bridge once more.

This week's goals:
swim x 1
bike x 1
run x 5
core/strength x 4

Need to get back to consistent training - Montreal is bad for my waistline, and I have a training run on the course for the 50 miler I'm doing in September next weekend. Hoping I'll be in shape to do the full 40k as they shuttle you out to the furthest point of the out-and-back but you can cut it to about 30k by foregoing a loop around a lake.

Quote | Reply
Welcome to the forum! I'm an New York to California transplant as well and based in LA.

I agree with Dr. Tigerchik and SLO, nutrition is a big piece of the puzzle especially if you already have the fitness. I do some long bike/run bricks (30-40 miles/8-10 miles) closer to race day but it's because I've really struggled to run to my potential off the bike and am still experimenting with my bike fit. I don't think they're essential.

Quote Reply