Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

04 Dura Ace sold out, backordered delays
Quote | Reply
cyclingnews.com Shimano delayed

Due to unexpectedly larger orders in the latter parts of last year, Shimano is experiencing delays in getting some components to bike manufacturers and retailers. With the 2004 Shimano range seeing two completely revised groups, as well as an increase in OEM orders, Shimano thought it had covered its bases with the projected increase in demand. However, with some groups seeing orders of up to 400% above 2003 orders, the company has been taken by surprise and has told companies to expect lengthy delays if they didn't get orders in early.

"We projected a big increase in demand for some new products introduced (XTR, XT, Dura Ace), but we could not foresee the magnitude of the overall market development. For example, the worldwide orders we received for Ultegra components for the shipment in the first half of 2004 have been five times larger than the previous year, and the orders for Deore components have been three times more than its usual volume," Hiro Hirata, vice president of sales for Shimano's Bicycle Components Division, told the Bicycle Retailer magazine.

"Overall, we managed to increase the capacity by 20 to 25 percent in that short period (since 2004 ordering began), but a further increase has not been possible as our factories are already running seven days a week in several shifts," Hirata said.

Shimano hopes to get deliveries back to normal as soon as possible.
Quote Reply
Re: 04 Dura Ace sold out, backordered delays [TimeTrial.org] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a full-on no shitter. We have had zero luck getting Dura-Ace groups for the past eight days. Prior to that is was going fairly well. We probably sold 10-15 groups on bikes then.... nothing.

This has strapped manufacturers too. Remember the awesome deal that was the 2004 Felt B2? Felt has frames in their warehouse but no parts and no firm delivery dates. With a lot of bigger players (Trek, Specialized, Cannondale)in line a lot of guys are at the bottom of the barrel.

Any way you shake it, it sucks.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: 04 Dura Ace sold out, backordered delays [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Tom,

I'm going to pick up a set of DA 04 brakes, you ran these in Laguna Phuket on the hills right? How do they compare to the 03's and would you say that they are more streamlined and 'aero' than the 03's?

thx - Gary
Quote Reply
Re: 04 Dura Ace sold out, backordered delays [TimeTrial.org] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although I had just recieved a brand new Guru Trilite with a complete '04 Dura-Ace 10 speed kit I did not take it to Thailand as it is not my prcatice to race on new equipment. I used a tried and true Cannondale IM2000 with Dura-ACe 9 speed and '03 brakes.

I can tell you that in the "shoot out" between the Campagnolo Record 10 speed and Shimano Dura-Ace 10 Speed groups we have had excellent results with the Dura-Ace '04 brakes: Not only when tested with Shimano Dura-Ace STI brake lever/shifters but also when actuated with Dia Compe 188 brake levers and the integrated brake levers on HEd aerobars and the fine Easton Attack aerobar (which actually features an attempt at a return spring inside the handlebar).

The '04 version have greater stopping power require less actuation pressure, especially with the new, larger STI dual control lever.

The questions is: Once a bicycle brake stops the bike adequately in most environments, how good does it have to be?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Do you think there is a chance Felt will ship any of those B2s sitting in the warehouse with Campy?

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: 04 Dura Ace sold out, backordered delays [Hinds57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe Felt will ship the B2 complete bike with its original component spec at some point in time. It could be in two weeks, or two months. The issue is, at this point, there seems to be (based on my phone conversations and e-mails with Felt) no accurate method to predict when the Dura-Ace supply will be restored. My impression is there isn't one person who can answer the question, "When will we have Dura-Ace groups to finish our bikes?"

Once that question is answerable I'm sure we will hear about it. We do get daily updates on this situation from our excellent Felt outside sales rep, SuperDave on this forum. We spoke with him twice today.

As for specing Campagnolo,well, based on our experiences trying to get Campagnolo isn't much easier (if at all) than Dura-Ace groups. I understand the carbon Record cranks we used in our initial evaluation were one of only 37 brought into the country at the time. Since then inventories have improved to include additional crank lengths, etc. However, the stuff is not falling from the trees yet.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello all,

All I have to say is that it pays to plan ahead. I planned it out for the Trek Time Trial frameset I got and luckily the bike shop was able to get the DA parts in within a week of ordering them in November. He uses 'Quality bikes' to get his parts from. I got the bar end shifters instead of STI shifters. Any word as to when Shimano will have out the larger chainrings 54,55, and 56's?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you think Shimano is late in delivery, try to get Campy OEM parts now. Felt won't release a Campy bike, but Tom and any Felt dealer can certainly build you a Campy B2.

I'm riding a Campy DA650 now, great bike although it is going to be illegal in when the USCF accepts UCI rules.

Bummer, just when I get it dialed in.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: 04 Dura Ace sold out, backordered delays [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dave,

I was looking hard at the B2 at my local tri shop Transition Sports in San Leandro, Ca. Great package at a great price with the DA 10 speed and Zipps. My only bike is a Bianchi SL with Campy so I would love to stay with Campy so I could switch rims and cassettes between the bikes. I have no issues with DA, I just want to stay with one or the other.

I read your post about the S22,

"My suggestion for those searching for B2's. Buy the S22. It has the EXACT same frame, fork, headset, aerobars, carbon bladed seatpost, and Dura Ace 10 speed derailleurs. You can upgrade the shifters, cassette, and chain to 10 speed, buy some 404s or 909s for the race wheels and you'd still be over $1000 less than a C'dale IM5000, or roughly $3999."

So now I am leaning the direction of the S22. One of the big advantages of the Felt bikes is all the top end components for the price. I think if I had the B2 built up with Campy it would add too much to make it worth the price. What do you think the S22 would cost with Chorus?

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The S22 is a homerun as well. Again, bang for the buck an awesome package. Your local shop could sell you the Campy Record bar end shifters, a Campy Chorus rear deraileur, and a 10 speed SHIMANO Dura-Ace cassette and a 10 speed chain.

Now the stock Dura Ace front derailleur and the FSA carbon crank would work, no problem with the friction mode of the left hand bar end shifter. There are certainly those that would balk at the mix of Shimano and Campagnolo, but you needn't spend the dough. As part of the Campy vs. Shimano shootout, I've discovered that a 10 speed Shimano cassette and a 10 speed Campy cassette are interchangable once the limit screws are adjusted correctly.

In your post you mentioned switching wheels AND cassettes, if that is the case, you'd need to get a Campagnolo Freehub body from Alex for the wheels. This should be available from their customer service department in the pacific northwest somewhere, like Zipp and others, just the freehub can be swapped to Campy. Then you could buy the 10 speed Campy cassette. I like the 12-21 10 speed shimano option however, and Campy doesn't offer that range.

I can see you printing out this post, taking it to your shop and having the guys just roll their eyes. I'm not going to suggest prices because their may or may not be trade in and labor costs involved, I wouldn't speculate. For them to make these changes is a huge service, it something I look for when I select Felt dealers for my territory, the ability and willingness to spec the customers bike as they want it. Good Luck and let me know what you decide.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: 04 Dura Ace sold out, backordered delays [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strange!

Over here the prices (mailorder) for the new DA group are already falling.

regards,

Frank

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply
Re: 04 Dura Ace sold out, backordered delays [Bavarian_Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And for all them years they were saying "Campy has issues getting products to market...."

HEY!...LET ME GLOAT A BIT EH?!?!?!

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: 04 Dura Ace sold out, backordered delays [Record10ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

What have you heard on the shipping of the 04 P3's with Dura-Ace kits?

Have you got any in yet? It says January on the Cervelo website. Didn't

know if that's still the schedule.

Rock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Tom, (and you others needing a shimano group)

I still have a few sets of the 25th anniversary groups left for sale. If you ask me, and you haven't, I would prefer the nice titanium, polished, and gold engraved group over the stock new one. One more speed doesn't do any good if you can't push it....HA!!!!! Let's make a deal.....Monty
Quote Reply
Re: 04 Dura Ace sold out, backordered delays [Rocky Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that Cervelo is in good shape on most frame sizes of P3 except larger and smaller sizes. Everyone is hurting for Dura-Ace kits though. Cervelo's estimate of January could be good. In general, our luck with Cervelo's lead times has been absolutely excellent this year. Their estimates have been very accurate.

Oh, and monty, we haven't sold a nine speed Dura-Ace group in five months. There is a reason why you still have those. Are you opening an antique store? :)

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: 04 Dura Ace sold out, backordered delays [Rocky Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Tom,

What have you heard on the shipping of the 04 P3's with Dura-Ace kits?

Have you got any in yet? It says January on the Cervelo website. Didn't

know if that's still the schedule.

Rock

We actually shipped some in December. We're doing pretty good with Shimano, 10-sp bar-ends have been a bit slow in coming so we have assembled P3s waiting for bar-ends to be dropped in the boxes, but that will happen next week and then that batch can go out. We also are getting our next shipment of DuraAce next week so then we'll assemble another batch.

I can see why retailers are upset, but I cannot understand the whining from manufacturers. Shimano tells you the lead times, so once you start seeing lead times of six months and more, you know it's a good idea to get your act together and place orders. Plus in this case the manufacturers are creating the problem themselves, they are placing orders for stuff they know they don't want to take delivery on. That is bound to screw up the scheduling.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply