Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Holy S@#T! Gore N2S Fabric!
Quote | Reply
First off, let me start by saying I don;t sell anything made of this stuff.... yet.

Yesterday we got socked by a pretty hefty winter storm around 2:00 PM. As luck would have it I was about 1 mile into an 8 mile run went the storm reached its full fury. It was 30 degrees, snowing sideways and terrible visibility.

I wore a Golite Covert top made of the new Gore N2S fabric. N2S stands for "next to skin". It is a miracle fabric intended to be worn alone with nothing underneath- just the one layer. It is breathable and 100% windproof. It also wicks perspiation away so effectively you are (alledged) to stay completely dry. The temperature range is from about 34 degrees down to about 24 degrees I think.

I have to tell you, I had my doubts. It felt weird putting on one layer to go out the door on a cold day. I thought for sure I would need at least a thin base layer. I followed the directions though and wore nothing underneath it. I only had on three garments: Pearl Izumi fieldsensor tights, N2S top, and an Asics windproof brief. This doesn;t count a Craft hat and New Balance gloves and my prescription Oakley Half Jacket XLJs.

I'll tell you, the Gore N2S worked perfectly: Totally as advertised. I was warm, dry and comfortable even in a blizzard. I was amazed.

If you have a chance to try a Gore N2S top for running in the winter, do it. I think you will be very impressed. I couldn't believe how well this thing worked. Awesome. It sure made running in rotten much more tolerable.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Holy S@#T! Gore N2S Fabric! [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the club. This stuff is fantastic. I bought a Marmot N2S pull over 1/2-zip top for running last winter. (Mainly cause it looked so cool.) The jacket is amazing and ultra light. I'm suprised I don't see more of this fabric. My only problem is that I only wear the thing when I travel since I normally don't need a shell for running here in SD.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me too. I read about Marmot's N2S windshirt on a trail running forum, but blanched a bit at the $130 price tag. Thanks to Internet shopping, I found one in my size for $55. Sold. It's not as cold here as where you are, but it has been in the '30's for my morning runs. The first time I tried the shirt I wore a light jacket over it, thinking there was no way just the one layer would do the job, but 10 minutes into the run I had to ditch the jacket. I was completely warm and comfortable inside the N2S shirt. The only thing that I find, which would not be an issue for the gentlemen, is that having to wear a sports bra reduces some of the effectiveness of the material for that location, since it is no longer next to the skin. Still, this fabric is awesome, and maybe even well worth the high price, if it keeps us from skipping training due to cold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Tom,

first you use the same running shoes as me (Kukinis) now you also use my running/biking clothes! I run in Concurve N2S shirts (Concurve is the German label of Gore industries running clothes) and bike in Gore N2S biking jerseys. This stuff is really fanastic! What next? Will you start riding a Blade with HED3s now!?

regards,

Frank

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply
Re: Holy S@#T! Gore N2S Fabric! [Bavarian_Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That'd be really nice to be able to only wear one top. Unfortunately, with it being -20 here right now (with windchill), I don't think that'll happen. :(

It's going to be a miserable week...
Quote Reply
Re: Holy S@#T! Gore N2S Fabric! [Bavarian_Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously Frank, we are men of impeccable tastes and a keen eye for the finer things. Unfortunately, I don;t have a Blade right now, but I do have a pair of HED 3s!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I just got some N2S gloves and they work great for running in the cold too. I've been XC skiing for years and have seen so many attempts at all in one fabrics its not funny. That being said, I can't speak highly enough about a company out of Eugene, OR called Sporthill. They have had a fabric called 3SP for quite a few seasons and I'm sold on it too. It's got a nice weight to it and some of the shirts are gusseted stretch fleece and the entire back as well (because you are asually skiing into wind and don't always need blocking in the back) If you have a retail outlet as your posts leads me to beleive, call up the folks at sporthill and have a rep pay you a visit. They have their clothing lines broken out into three zones (1 for hot, 2 for cool and 3 for cold). It's like Garanimals for athletes! (remember those clothes where you match the animals to make a matching set!) see http://www.sporthill.com for details on the fabrics. I live in their cloths all winter!

On your advice I found a Marmot "Evolution" N2S long sleeve 1/2 zip for my wife at $82.00 (most were $125) at http://www.backcountrystore.com . We will be XC skiing in Bear Valley, CA for MLK weekend and I'm sure she will like it!

Cheers,

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Re: Holy S@#T! Gore N2S Fabric! [Drinyth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must be close to me....Outside of Billings -24 today WITHOUT windchill......Butte was -34. No biking or running today or tomorrow.
Quote Reply