Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

eeBrake as Rear Brake on a P5?
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried to mount an eeBrake as a rear brake on a Cervélo P5? It seems like it might be a good fit with the cable routing being close to the centre of the brake, but as always it's very hard to make out for sure from pictures alone. And these brakes are not something you can have a look at in your LBS :)

Thanks in advance for any input.
Quote Reply
Re: eeBrake as Rear Brake on a P5? [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you end up doing this? My TRP is looking pretty ragged. I'll try disassembling and cleaning it thoroughly first, but otherwise I'd like something more powerful like the eeBrake. TriRig doesn't clear without bunch of spacers and Shimano only seems to make a direct mount version of the chainstay brakes. Not sure what else would be strong and clear the chainstay/cranks
Quote Reply
Re: eeBrake as Rear Brake on a P5? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, the cable routing is not really good with the eeBrake on the P5. Am actually running the Omega X with Jagwire Elite Link cabling which works OK (though not perfect).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drilled a hole (or widened existing - don’t remember off top of head) to make the bend a bit wider. Full cable housing up to top tube. Same setup as you.

There was a very skinny housing I found on eBay. Still have it. Couldn’t make it work - can’t remember exactly why anymore but the thinner housing made a very nice looking bend.
Quote Reply
Re: eeBrake as Rear Brake on a P5? [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darn, so the eeBrake is a no-go on the P5 without drilling?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I was replying to MTM who has the omega x. It didn’t *need* it but it made it a bit better
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
No, the cable routing is not really good with the eeBrake on the P5. Am actually running the Omega X with Jagwire Elite Link cabling which works OK (though not perfect).

Did you try the eeBrake with Elite Link and it was still too tight?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:

I've had the rear EE brake (can't remember which version, but a few years old now) on my P5-3 for a few seasons. No modifications required to the caliper or the frame and running regular cable housing. Excellent performance and far better than the TRP that replaced it.

VALÄ’RE | YouTube
Quote Reply
Re: eeBrake as Rear Brake on a P5? [sesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great! This is what I was hoping to hear. So you didn't have to use a large number of spacers as people report with the TriRig? The cable bend it pretty tight with the TRP. It is less so with the ee, since the cable connects straight?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sesel wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:

I've had the rear EE brake (can't remember which version, but a few years old now) on my P5-3 for a few seasons. No modifications required to the caliper or the frame and running regular cable housing. Excellent performance and far better than the TRP that replaced it.

Are you running the standard BB cable guide? Maybe snap a picture of your setup? I never tried actually cabling it up on my P5 as the cable bend seemed to be way too tight to have any chance of working properly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the late response. I removed the cable guide (and obviously don't have the original Magura cover on), so the outer cable has plenty of room to make the required path to the caliper. And no excessive use of spacers was required at all, IIRC I've got <1cm of spacers. Super simple.

VALÄ’RE | YouTube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without the guide. How do you run the derailleur cables? Housing all the way instead?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Outer cable housing all the way from the brake lever to the caliper. My P5 was one of the first ones that came out from summer 2012 and the outer cable housing runs all the way through.

VALÄ’RE | YouTube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sesel wrote:
Outer cable housing all the way from the brake lever to the caliper. My P5 was one of the first ones that came out from summer 2012 and the outer cable housing runs all the way through.

Yes, the brake housing runs the whole way. But I'm wondering about derailleurs. You said you removed the cable guide, but that guides derailleur cables, which have the housing terminated at the top tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah ok, can see the issue there with mechanical. I'm running Di2 which negates the need for the cable guide.

VALÄ’RE | YouTube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, that makes sense. With the guide in place, was the housing not able to make the required bend?
Quote Reply