Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A wonderfully naive bike design question.....
Quote | Reply
SO, I decide to start narrowing down bike design choices after getting a fit done. I figure, gee, is there a machine out there that can do a TT and allow me to have comfort?

In other words, I dont like assuming the rocket man position and not being able to ride a machine for longer rides in comfort.

Has anybody found solutions for this besides get another bike?
Quote Reply
Re: A wonderfully naive bike design question..... [ttug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don;t think this is a naive question- I think it is an intelligent one. As a matter of fact, this gives me an idea....

Anyway. Like anything else technique oriented in sport, be it a golf swing, equistrian posture, skiing stance, etc. you have to learn to ride in a good time trial posture. It takes time and conditioning. Very few people are able to do it at once.

The answer is not to do what everybody wants to do and raise your handlebars and shorten your stem. That is fixing one problem with another. The answer is to identify the specific factors that are limiting your ability to ride in an efective time trial posture and then systematically address those factors. Given time, effort and work you willl be able to ride in an aerodynamic posture with comfort and power. It doesn't happen overnight though.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: A wonderfully naive bike design question..... [ttug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like Tom said, that's not naive -- that's what dang near everyone is seeking.

You say, "Has anybody found solutions for this besides get another bike?"

Does this mean you already have a TT bike, but it's not comfortable on long rides? That's not uncommon, but it is unnecessary. I never take my TT bike out on anything but a dedicated TT training session at the local TT course. I like my road bike for normal riding. I'm more balanced on it (front-rear), sit more upright, it has better brakes, it corners better, etc. etc. It's simply a more pleasurable steed for long rides over varying terrain.

However -- to follow up on what Tom said -- my TT bike is not "uncomfortable". I can be, and have been, on that bike for 5+ hours (6+ at Lake Placid) and was cozy and happy the whole time. You've got to love your TT position, even if you have a road bike to go to on other days.

As for the "one bike" solution -- I have been tempted by something in a 76 degree angle with reversible seat post and a swappable stem. Push the seat back and put on the longer, higher stem and it's a road bike. Push the seat forward and put on the short, low stem and it's a TT bike. Or, just stay in between and put aero bars on drop bars and have the best of both. Lots of bikes fit that mold. Kestrel Talon, Cervelos, and others.
Quote Reply