Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Xterra Syracuse Info
Quote | Reply
Want to do Xterra Syracuse this year and don't live close enough to preview the course.

I would guess the water will be quite chilly, being that far North, so wetsuit legal.

Things I've heard:

Bike is not super technical, with some grass sections and perhaps a couple of hike a bike sections. However, no sustained (> 10 minute) climbs. I have 3 bike choices, Fat, Full suspension XC or rigid XC bike. I would only use the fat bike for a technical course. Is the bike course smooth enough for a fully rigid bike? Tire choice, could I go with a semi-slick on the back or do I need more traction?

First part of run is singletrack, remainder is on a flat gravel path.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Syracuse Info [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumping this thread. Turns out I'll be in the area for this weekend and signed up for the Xterra. Only bike I could find to rent is a fattie, so that's what I'll be riding. The guy at the shop said the bike course may be changed due to ongoing discussions with the park.

Any other intel? Thoughts on whether to bring road running shoes or trail running shoes?

Regardless, looking forward to cruising around central NY on a fat bike...seems like fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Syracuse Info [mjp202] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't end up doing it last year. I might make it up this year, but it depends on some family commitments. If you do it, let me know how the course is, maybe I can make it some year.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Syracuse Info [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump bump, I'm thinking of doing this one next year. How was it?

There are 3 races that I'm trying to choose between (xterra Quebec, xterra Syracuse, or Mine over Matter in Ontario. Seems like MOM wasn't held in '18, so not sure if that will actually be an option in '19

Trying to keep things relatively close to home for my first xterra, if I enjoy it then I'd look at travelling further afield to Utah or Colorado. I've never been to either of those states, so it would be a good excuse to go.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Syracuse Info [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not do it, yet again this year. But I did talk to several people the week before at Xterra Appalachia that had done Syracuse before and who were doing it this year. Both said the bike was non technical but the run was very technical with a lot of vert.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Syracuse Info [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wanted to do Mine over Matter this year but was disappointed it wasn't happening. :(

The website listed it for next year though, if it fits in my schedule I'm going to do it even though I'm going back to road tri.
Quote Reply