Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How to make F'n Carbonara [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have yet to have a negroni that was anything better then 'meh'. And I'm half Italian.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: How to make F'n Carbonara [SailorSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SailorSam wrote:
windywave wrote:

The peasants need to learn the egg is cooked by the pasta that just came out of boiling water

This isn't really true, though, is it? If you cooked the yolks you'd end up with scrambled eggs (yolks) with spaghetti. I just made some tonight with - GASP - prosciutto. Even my 3 year old liked it. She thought the spaghetti was covered with butter, though, haha.

It's cooked enough. Have you ever had homemade hollandaise? It's essentially half butter, half barely cooked egg yolk. I add a bit of lemon juice and spicy paprika or a dash of cayanne.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SailorSam wrote:
windywave wrote:

The peasants need to learn the egg is cooked by the pasta that just came out of boiling water

This isn't really true, though, is it? If you cooked the yolks you'd end up with scrambled eggs (yolks) with spaghetti. I just made some tonight with - GASP - prosciutto. Even my 3 year old liked it. She thought the spaghetti was covered with butter, though, haha.

My understanding is that it is true. The eggs are beaten and then poured over the whole pasta mixture so there is broad coverage and the pasta is just out of boiling water and some of that water is put in the eggs too and also why does the mixture thicken? (methinks it's the eggs cooking)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SailorSam wrote:
windywave wrote:

I love prosciutto. Did you fry it crisp? I'd imagine there's not enough fat in it but might make a good garnish
Quote Reply
Re: How to make F'n Carbonara [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttocsmi wrote:
FYI - I'm sending you an invoice for a bottle of Campari and a bottle of vermouth. I made a batch of negronis last week (it was hot out, relatives were over, and we were sitting out on the deck), which can be described with only one word: nasty. As if one of the three liquors wasn't bad enough by itself, three mixed together was even worse.

I used the Campari to make an Americano, which was tolerable. I think the vermouth may sit forever.

Are you a gin drinker? Did you follow a recipe? Did you buy good sweet vermouth (red)?
Quote Reply
Re: How to make F'n Carbonara [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I have yet to have a negroni that was anything better then 'meh'. And I'm half Italian.

Come over for some carbonara and I'll make you a good one
Quote Reply
Re: How to make F'n Carbonara [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
I really like this dish and finally got around to making it at home.

Ingredients:
Gin
Sweet Vermouth
Campari
Two bottles of Chianti Classico
8 oz pancetta in small pieces
6 large eggs
1 and 1/2 cups Parmesan by volume plus more for
Sea Salt
Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1 Pound Spaghetti
Butter

1) Take eggs out of refrigerator
2) Open the Chianti
3) Pour into suitable glass
4) Call take out Italian place order PIZZA
5) Get drunk & fat on alcohol and pizza

FIFY ;)
Quote Reply
Re: How to make F'n Carbonara [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
windywave wrote:
I really like this dish and finally got around to making it at home.

Ingredients:
Gin
Sweet Vermouth
Campari
Two bottles of Chianti Classico
8 oz pancetta in small pieces
6 large eggs
1 and 1/2 cups Parmesan by volume plus more for
Sea Salt
Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1 Pound Spaghetti
Butter

1) Take eggs out of refrigerator
2) Open the Chianti
3) Pour into suitable glass
4) Call take out Italian place order PIZZA
5) Get drunk & fat on alcohol and pizza

FIFY ;)

Why'd you take the eggs out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only weird people put eggs on take out pizza...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Come over for some carbonara and I'll make you a good one

If I'm ever in your neck of the woods, I will. Maybe I'll bring my Cuban bottle of rum! :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for a good carbonara, and many good egg dishes, the should be at room.temp. Basic cooking especially with uncooked or marginally cooked. Milk, butter, and eggs shot be neat room.temp.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took first Europe trip starting 6/5 in Germany with some actual work the first 4 days in Hannover.

I took my wife and 13yo son. They visited Hannover while I worked and then we flew to Italy (Carbonara link).

leading up to this, the whole trip was premised on food and by the time we were done with Germany I had way too much snitzel SP?) and in Italy for 6 days I found the only meal that I really liked after sampling a few was Spaghetti ala Carbonara.

I ate the same meal probably the last 3 days. it was awesome. but not to the point of discrediting Olive Garden.

Tried a few other things in the first few days (Venice, Florence, Roma) but when you pay 50 Euro for a meal I determined I would just eat what I thought had the best taste seeing most menus were in Italian and hard to gauge.
Quote Reply
Re: How to make F'n Carbonara [TriFortMill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriFortMill wrote:
I took first Europe trip starting 6/5 in Germany with some actual work the first 4 days in Hannover.

I took my wife and 13yo son. They visited Hannover while I worked and then we flew to Italy (Carbonara link).

leading up to this, the whole trip was premised on food and by the time we were done with Germany I had way too much snitzel SP?) and in Italy for 6 days I found the only meal that I really liked after sampling a few was Spaghetti ala Carbonara.

I ate the same meal probably the last 3 days. it was awesome. but not to the point of discrediting Olive Garden.

Tried a few other things in the first few days (Venice, Florence, Roma) but when you pay 50 Euro for a meal I determined I would just eat what I thought had the best taste seeing most menus were in Italian and hard to gauge.

Going to those cities, and doing the usual touristy things, and eating in those areas, gets you mediocre food at sky high prices. If you went out for dinner at home, would you go down to the biggest tourist trap in town? Or the mom and pop place you love that serves food made with love for reasonable prices?

I'm also very jealous of your schnitzel binging. I love german food.

Quote Reply
Re: How to make F'n Carbonara [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
for a good carbonara, and many good egg dishes, the should be at room.temp. Basic cooking especially with uncooked or marginally cooked. Milk, butter, and eggs shot be neat room.temp.

Thanks captain ... now read the post I was replying to ... he ordered a pizza
Quote Reply
Re: How to make F'n Carbonara [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:

was going to point that out. Some may have assumed that, some had no idea.

Also there is nothing wrong with using bacon as your pork...
Quote Reply
Re: How to make F'n Carbonara [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get the tourist trap thing, but I felt we went do different restaurants even in some areas that seemed too far off the path..... and it was the same damn menu.I tried about 4 different menu items as my son and wife did as well. So we all go some variation and at the end my wife wanted a "good" salad and my son and I wanted Spaghetti ala Carbonara. The beers they offered too were quite inadequate.

In Germany we ate some authentic "good" German food the first 3 days at several different shops that my German business partners recommended . Problem was it was all the same. At at the Block House in Hannover last night and had a good steak.

My thoughts are that I can get a better meal in the states for the $$ anytime.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
SailorSam wrote:
windywave wrote:

I love prosciutto. Did you fry it crisp? I'd imagine there's not enough fat in it but might make a good garnish

I keep coming back to this recipe (you'd think that I'd have it down pat after making it a dozen times in the last 2 years) and just noticed your question. I usually go with pancetta but when using prosciutto I DO fry it crisp. It's pretty damn great but as you said- not fatty enough to do the dish justice on its own. Just made it last night again. Everyone loved it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SailorSam wrote:
windywave wrote:
SailorSam wrote:
windywave wrote:

I keep coming back to this recipe (you'd think that I'd have it down pat after making it a dozen times in the last 2 years) and just noticed your question. I usually go with pancetta but when using prosciutto I DO fry it crisp. It's pretty damn great but as you said- not fatty enough to do the dish justice on its own. Just made it last night again. Everyone loved it!

You skipped step 20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's on bitches
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like, it's literally on bitches (you threw it on some female dogs?), or, "it's on, bitches?"

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Al dente spaghetti in 12 minutes ???
What brand and size do you use ?

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: How to make F'n Carbonara [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
Like, it's literally on bitches (you threw it on some female dogs?), or, "it's on, bitches?"

Deduct 1 point... buzzed and Northwestern is beating the cow fucking inbreds so in an indulgent mood
Quote Reply
Re: How to make F'n Carbonara [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
louisn wrote:
Al dente spaghetti in 12 minutes ???
What brand and size do you use ?

Louis :-)

Not about the size of the boat but motion in the ocean

Spaghetti.... probably Barilla or some imported Italian brand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Crank wrote:

Deduct 1 point... buzzed and Northwestern is beating the cow fucking inbreds so in an indulgent mood

Love it. Enjoy.

War is god
Quote Reply

Prev Next