Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Century Ride vs 70.3 Training
Quote | Reply
This year alongside a bunch of Tri's & running events I'm planning to do all the parts of a 140.6.

Marathon is done, swim I'll just do at some point, the key remaining part is my first century ride.

I'd like to do it under 5 hours, currently I'm ~ 2:25 for a 70.3 56 mile bike, normally riding 5 to 7 hours a week, expecting that to grow a bit as I extend my long ride.

Thing is most of the century ride plans I can find max out at one or two 70 mile rides, but just looking at 70.3's here there's a lot of 80's, 4 hours etc...

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/What_is_you_longest_training_ride_for_Ironman_and_70.3_P1243597/

I'm thinking of building up to a few 80's (~3:35) and maybe a 90, but given I'm doing this to partially mimic a 140.6 build I'm wondering if I'm low-baling it & should bump the distances...

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Century Ride vs 70.3 Training [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can do a 56 miler in 2:25, just go do a century this weekend. Seriously, just go to do it. A century isn't anywhere near as demanding as a marathon where the leap from a half to a full requires a ton of training. You probably won't do it in 5 hours (or at least don't try to), especially if you count rest stops, but it's not that big of a deal.
Last edited by: jazzymusicman: Jun 2, 17 13:37
Quote Reply
Re: Century Ride vs 70.3 Training [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was remarkably underwhelmed by the first 100 mile ride I did. It was a long day in the saddle, but nothing like a marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thoughts?

Ride 100 miles Saturday. Ride 100 miles Sunday. Rest Monday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are you actually training for?
Quote Reply
Re: Century Ride vs 70.3 Training [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
What are you actually training for?

This year A races are USAT Nationals + a 70.3.

The century is part of a ~three year development to my first full.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Here is what I consider to be the minimum bike training for 140.3.

One should do at least one of each every week:
A) Long ride
B) Hard ride
C) Easy ride (maybe more)

Now.... if the "hard" ride is long- then the long ride doesn't need to be too long.

Example training for 140.3.
Example 1: Hard ride is long
Long ride- 3. 5 hrs
Hard ride - 30 minutes warm up, 3 x 30 minutes @ 92 % FTP, 15 miles warm down 2.5 hrs
Easy ride- 60 minutes
Easy ride - 60 minutes

Example 2: Hard ride is short
Long ride - 5 hrs
Hard ride - 2 x 20 @ FTP (1 hr total)
Easy Ride - 60 minutes
Easy Ride- 60 minutes
Quote Reply
Re: Century Ride vs 70.3 Training [RussTKD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RussTKD wrote:
I was remarkably underwhelmed by the first 100 mile ride I did. It was a long day in the saddle, but nothing like a marathon.

How much elevation did you climb on your century?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a century sportive last year after not riding much over 50 miles in one ride for maybe 3 years. It isn't a very big deal and nothing like the same step up as, for example, going from half to full marathon. The hardest bit was it was on my TT bike which I'd not ridden outside for a long time. Neck and shoulders ached more than my legs. It was flat and took me 4:40 ish.

You don't need a plan to build up to it, there's nothing magic about riding a hundred miles.

Make sure you have access to some calories and water and you'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It might be hard to ride 100 miles fast, but it’s not hard to just ride 100 miles.

If possible, bring a buddy to ride with. Makes the time go faster, or gives you a little draft

But again, just go do it ... get the fear out of our brain and then move onto to getting faster
Quote Reply