Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hypertrophic Peroneal Tubercle Surgery - Anyone?
Quote | Reply
Apparently, I was born broken. I have an abnormally large peroneal tubercle which needs surgery as I haven't been able to run since last Summer. Biking and hiking are now affected and pushing off the wall in the pool is painful.

We won't know if I need a tendon repair until he gets in there as one MRI report showed a tear, but another showed no tear. Perfect.

Has anyone had this surgery? What was your recovery like? Your results?
Quote Reply
Re: Hypertrophic Peroneal Tubercle Surgery - Anyone? [dani-x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a peroneal reconstruction in 2006. Raced IM WI and started to have swelling as cyst developed. Raced marathon 1 month later. Felt a pop as I went through mile 10 and was in surgery two days later. It was a tough recovery, I was on crutches or in air boot for >4 months and could not run at all for 6 months. Took at least another month or two to run normal. It is hard for me to say if it was worth it or not. I suspect the recovery would have been the same if I had simply bought an air boot and isolated my foot for 6 months. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dani-x wrote:
Apparently, I was born broken. I have an abnormally large peroneal tubercle which needs surgery as I haven't been able to run since last Summer. Biking and hiking are now affected and pushing off the wall in the pool is painful.

We won't know if I need a tendon repair until he gets in there as one MRI report showed a tear, but another showed no tear. Perfect.

Has anyone had this surgery? What was your recovery like? Your results?

dani-x, did you have the surgery? If so, what did the docs find when they got in there? What was your recovery like? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Hypertrophic Peroneal Tubercle Surgery - Anyone? [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the surgery and had great success...apparently, two of the surgeons I saw said I had abnormally large bones so they shaved down the peroneal tubercle to give the tendons some more room They cleaned the area out and the incision went to mid foot.

I was non-weight bearing and foot elevated for 3 weeks. Walking boot w crutches for just under a week and then just the boot for another 4 weeks. Was my left foot so driving wasn’t an issue. Pain was tough on day 3-4 but off all pain meds by day 5.

Back on the bike in 8 weeks, running was 12.

Fast forward 2 years and I’m having trouble in that area again. Took some time off to make sure it wasn’t overuse and even w the time off, it was agony. Talked w the surgeon and we have a few options. He said another surgery would probably fix it and when I asked what would be different, he said he would take the incision all the way to the fifth metatarsal. Frustrating.

Non-surgical options were PRP injections, orthotics, and Shockwave therapy. I’m on week 5 of shockwave and having very good success with the treatment area originally going from the base of the 5th metatarsal to my ankle. Now, it’s just the 2” from my ankle forward.

Happy to chat more about it and wish you luck. I’d still have the surgery again, but along the entire length. I’m just not ready to be laid up again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dani-x wrote:
I had the surgery and had great success...apparently, two of the surgeons I saw said I had abnormally large bones so they shaved down the peroneal tubercle to give the tendons some more room They cleaned the area out and the incision went to mid foot.

I was non-weight bearing and foot elevated for 3 weeks. Walking boot w crutches for just under a week and then just the boot for another 4 weeks. Was my left foot so driving wasn’t an issue. Pain was tough on day 3-4 but off all pain meds by day 5.

Back on the bike in 8 weeks, running was 12.

Fast forward 2 years and I’m having trouble in that area again. Took some time off to make sure it wasn’t overuse and even w the time off, it was agony. Talked w the surgeon and we have a few options. He said another surgery would probably fix it and when I asked what would be different, he said he would take the incision all the way to the fifth metatarsal. Frustrating.

Non-surgical options were PRP injections, orthotics, and Shockwave therapy. I’m on week 5 of shockwave and having very good success with the treatment area originally going from the base of the 5th metatarsal to my ankle. Now, it’s just the 2” from my ankle forward.

Happy to chat more about it and wish you luck. I’d still have the surgery again, but along the entire length. I’m just not ready to be laid up again.

Thanks for the reply back. I'm sorry to see you are having trouble again. Is it the peroneal tendons being aggravated by the suspicious area???

I've got a bone spur at the end of my fibula (along with a stress reaction) and the doc thinks this is the reason for my pain. My MRI did not show a tendon tear but there's always a possibility one is present. So, the suggestion was surgery to remove the bone spur and explore the peroneal tendons for pathology. Like you, I am not looking forward to the time off from exercise. I can still bike and run without pain but running is what I love to do so that is why I'm considering the surgery. At least its winter time so a good time to recover so I can enjoy the warmer months ahead.
Quote Reply