Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is rather funny.
In the 90's, 60 grams was the standard weight for reasonably good butyl tubes that never lost air.
Latex were always just a little heavier around 65 grams.

Now in the new millennium, butyl tubes are nearly twice the weight, lose air between rides and have so many ridges on them that it is almost impossible to patch them.

Latex just get better and better compared to butyl as the years go by.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [snoopy123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Butyl is slower.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas, or anyone with experience.

I've been running stan's tubeless rim tape on 808 firecrest carbon clinchers all of last year with vittoria latex tubes, no issues.

Need to reinstall tape on another set of rims and was curious if anyone has had success with Tyvek Home Wrap tape?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/TYVEK-HomeWrap-2-in-x-164-ft-Installation-Tape-D13841470/100422453

Two wraps = ~9grams, a lot of guys use for tubeless setup, didnt know if anyone has used as rimtape with latex tubes? Sticks really well to carbon rims from what ive read.

Last edited by: teckert: Apr 19, 19 8:06
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [teckert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I’ve looked at this and can buy based on reviews already.

Asking about the tyvek tape specifically and if anyone has any experience?

Thanks,
Tyler
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [teckert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never used it. I assume that the Tyvek tape is very strong as well and abrasion resistant so it may be able to be used but I have never used it and don't know of anyone that has. When it comes to tape, I just keep using Josh's Silica Rim Tape stuff. I know it might be a little more expensive but it is thinner, which may help mounting tight tires, specifically the HED JET and Enve I have used on it. Plus I don't mind supporting Josh. He has provided a lot of value here (and to me) over the years.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

am i the only person here who uses hockey tape as rim tape?

(go leafs)
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Cloth Rim Tape - one circular piece of cloth that you put around the rim. It snaps in place

Hmm....Velox cloth rim tape is NOT a circular piece of cloth that snaps in place. It's an adhesive backed length of tape with a hole for the valve stem in one end. Perhaps that is not what you are referring to?

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/...-cloth-rim-tape.html

Note, I have no dog in the velox vs. stans witch-hunt.

You did not read far enough down his post.....

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boilerup wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Cloth Rim Tape - one circular piece of cloth that you put around the rim. It snaps in place

Hmm....Velox cloth rim tape is NOT a circular piece of cloth that snaps in place. It's an adhesive backed length of tape with a hole for the valve stem in one end. Perhaps that is not what you are referring to?

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/...-cloth-rim-tape.html

Note, I have no dog in the velox vs. stans witch-hunt.

You did not read far enough down his post.....

Nope. You didn't read far enough through the thread. About two posts further...

Thomas Gerlach wrote:

I went back an added Velox to my post above.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a disc brake wheels (specifically Fulcrum Racing 6 DB) with smooth surfaces on the rim. First time using latex. Should I still use the rim tape or can/should I go without since I do not have the brake heat or holes from spoke issues?
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [MBaier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another question, do you inflate to the same pressure as butyl (obviously check/reinflate before each ride)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, ONLY if the pressure you were inflating to while using butyl tubes was actually optimized for your weight and tire size.

So - assuming you were using the proper pressure while running butyl tubes, then yes - use the same for latex.

My only exception to this would be like for myself, I sometimes bike commute, so the bike then sits for ~8 hours in between rides in and back from work.
So in that scenario, I "overinflate" the tires by maybe 5-8 psi, so that they'll be closer to 'good' for the ride home, and not too low by then.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts on the tape question?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MBaier wrote:
I have a disc brake wheels (specifically Fulcrum Racing 6 DB) with smooth surfaces on the rim. First time using latex. Should I still use the rim tape or can/should I go without since I do not have the brake heat or holes from spoke issues?

If the rim without any holes is carbon I always run at least one wrap of tape. Carbon production is just too variable and there can be small porosities and other imperfections that might be a risk over time, generally the smaller the porosity the sharper the edge, so unless you are doing a serious inspection with magnifying glass and approving it, I wouldn't risk it.. certainly not when 4 grams of tubeless tape and 30 seconds to wrap it in can buy some considerable peace of mind.

On aluminum rims you are way less likely to have this sort of imperfection so probably not needed, though personally I still do it as again: 4 grams and basically no time spent for peace of mind.

You are right, if this was rim brake, then 2 wraps minimum for the thermal insulation as well as the other factors.
Josh

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Josh!
Quote Reply

Prev Next