Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kurt Kinietic vs Tacx vs Computrainer vs...
Quote | Reply
I own some Kreitler Dynolytes, but I am thinking about getting a resistance trainer to build power on. What I want is realistic road feel with easy set-up and minimal noise (Kurt, Cycleops), but with somekind of electronic feedback- preferably with power (Cateye, Elite, Tacx Flow) and with possibility for download to training software/computer interface/virtual reality (Tacx i-Magic/Computrainer).

Looking over the old threads, most folks are happy with their Kurt Kinetics (simple, solid- does its job well- $$$) and Computrainers (every bell and whistle imaginable, complex?, $$$$$).

How do the other trainers compare- specifically interested in Tacx- seems to offer much of what computrainer does in modular system with less $$$. Also expect Cycleops will be coming out with electronic interface with accuisition of Powertap- any word on this?

Thanks- appreciate the input!
Quote Reply
Re: Kurt Kinietic vs Tacx vs Computrainer vs... [amb18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a Computrainer, a Powertap and a 1-Up (similar in quality and road-feel to the Kurt, but with no fluid). I've acquired these tools at different times over the past few years.

If I had the money sitting here on my desk and none of these items in hand, I would buy:

- A Powertap.

- A 1-Up (or Kurt) trainer.

Don't get me wrong -- I love the Computrainer. But, the ability to take power measurement out the door swings the arguement for me. I also found over time that I didn't care for staring at the Computrainer courses on a computer screen. And, I didn't like having all that money tied up in a computer sitting out in the garage, being used 2 hours a week for Computrainer rides.

As I have gotten back into regular trainer rides this winter, I have found myself on the 1-Up, with the Powertap, watching DVDs and videos. I ordered some Spinervals tapes to try.

The biggest argument FOR the Computrainer is the easy way you can set up a ride and follow it through. Newbies to stationary training often need something going on to get them to follow through on workouts.

If you're used to rollers and have the mental discipline to stick with stationary rides, then I would suggest you get a Kurt and a Powertap. (also consider the 1-Up trainer, by the way). A couple of Spinerval tapes and you'll be rocking.

Finally, according to a really smart guy (Physio. Professor) that actually knows how to calibrate and test all these power-measuring devices, the Powertap is the most accurate and consistent of the bunch, and the Computrainer is the most inaccurate and inconsistent device.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new Cycle-ops E-trainer is already out, but from what I have seen it does not include a power function. This makes no sense so I hope I am mistaken.

Also note that the Cateye Cyclosimulators have a power function.

Like you, I would be very interested to hear how well the TACX trainers perform.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought of getting a resistance trainer as you are contemplating and did. I got the Kurt Kinetic (Troy Jacobson) one. It is very good quality and comes with a graph that translates speed into watts. However frankly I don't use it. My wife does though.

I found that if your used to training on rollers it is very boring to go to a clamp in trainer. See pics at my website here on winter training...

http://www.angelfire.com/...355_rider/winter.htm

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Last edited by: Goodtime: Jan 2, 04 11:42
Quote Reply