Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

More on doping
Quote | Reply
I just received a very disturbing telephone call. A friend of mine just called me and asked me what I thought about the steroid Winstrol. This guy is not a triathlete. He plays a little bush league slowpitch softball, and is a decent hitter. But he's large -- overweight large. He's about 6'3", 312 and maybe 21 or 22 years old. He received a gym membership for Christmas, and he's been going regularly. He started lifting with some guys who are users, and they told him he needed some Winstrol to shed the fat. So he called me and asked me what I thought about it.

He did not get the answer he was looking for. He thought I would be cool with it, that I would tell him it's OK. I told him the exact opposite, and kind of scolded him for even considering it. I went through all the normal stuff -- cheating, health risks, temporary gains, all that. He remained unconvinced. He told me it was too hard for him to change his lifestyle -- eating habits, etc. -- and he wanted a quick and easy fix. I then told him he was about to make a lifestyle change one way or the other: He could make a healthy lifestyle change or he could become an illegal drug user. Either way, he would be changing his lifestyle. How he changed it was up to him.

Sadly, I do not think I convinced him not to use. I think his lifting buddies (who he's only known for a few weeks) have more influence over him that I do (and we've been good friends now for six years).

When I asked him why he wanted to take the stuff, he simply replied, "To look good."

This doesn't have much to do with triathlon, except that this is another example of the prevalence of peformance enhancing drug use in our society. We have twentysomethings doping "just to look good"; what makes us think that elite athletes (amateur and professional alike) aren't using as well? I'm not trying to troll, and I'm not levying accusations against anyone. It's just frustrating when I look around and see this stuff everywhere. There are eighth grade football players in my community using, for crying out loud.

I would love to see these drugs eliminated from competition, but sadly, I doubt they will. People will always look for an edge, an easy way out, a quick fix "to look good" or perform better.

I really don't know the purpose of this post, except to vent my frustration after that hour long conversation.

RP
Quote Reply