Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Examples of the Generation Gap
Quote | Reply
I'm grading papers and I write this note, "It's due to the # and distance traveled by the bands in the gel". Student asks a clarifying question, "What do you mean by the 'hashtag' and distance?" Sigh.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Examples of the Generation Gap [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes but too get the full effect you must now consider yourself more knowledgeable and wise and the young person stupid. At least I think that is how it generally works for most people.
Quote Reply
Re: Examples of the Generation Gap [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No judgement on their intelligence. Only a difference in the way they perceive things versus me and my generation. I don't know too many people in their 40s+ who would interpret "The # of ___" as the "hashtag of ___".

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reminds me of an article I read recently, with all the emoji and symbol use these days we're heading back to using hieroglyphics.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Last edited by: mck414: May 2, 17 5:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
No judgement on their intelligence. Only a difference in the way they perceive things versus me and my generation. I don't know too many people in their 40s+ who would interpret "The # of ___" as the "hashtag of ___".

Yeah because you're a wise person. You're typical Joe Blow though usually interprets it as young people are stupid.

I get to judge (some) of my students intelligence this time of year though, when they can't figure out their grades based on the information in the syllabus and their posted grades for exams, quizzes, etc. I'm pretty sure they've had that basic math back in middle school.
Quote Reply
Re: Examples of the Generation Gap [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're typical Joe Blow though usually interprets it as young people are stupid
---

If you're the young person, you might be right. As for the students, intelligence levels are never determined through their use of colloquialisms.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reminds me of a video I saw on Americas Funniest Videos where a 5 or 6 year old kid was learning her numbers and when it came to 11 she was unable to see anything other than a pause symbol like that found on a dvd player. No matter how many times her mother told her is was the number 11, the kid still could not see it as anything other than a pause symbol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I'm grading papers and I write this note, "It's due to the # and distance traveled by the bands in the gel". Student asks a clarifying question, "What do you mean by the 'hashtag' and distance?" Sigh.

Happens to grownups too:"India's state TV channel has fired a news anchor for referring to Chinese President Xi Jinping as "Eleven" Jinping. The presenter apparently confused Mr Xi's name with the Roman numerals XI." http://www.bbc.com/...-asia-india-29274792
Quote Reply
Re: Examples of the Generation Gap [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Reminds me of an article I read recently, with all the emoji and symbol use these days we're heading back to using hieroglyphics.

That's actually pretty interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently noticed this regarding any delivery and booking of tickets online. I also noticed this with regard to the smart grid technology, although many elements of this system have long been used (various sensors, counters, etc.). There are a lot of examples of the difference between generations and I think it will always be so. Perhaps it will be difficult for our generation to react to certain things in the future.
Quote Reply
Re: Examples of the Generation Gap [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:

I hate to be 'that guy' but... hieroglyphics (Egyptian) were phonetic based. Emojis are closer to Logographic systems such as traditional Chinese text.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My syllabus says "this phone does not receive texts" next to my office number :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

Did you tell her it is a "pound sign"?
Quote Reply
Re: Examples of the Generation Gap [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
mck414 wrote:

I hate to be 'that guy' but... hieroglyphics (Egyptian) were phonetic based. Emojis are closer to Logographic systems such as traditional Chinese text.

yeah, well, you just became 'that guy'...guy.
too late.
;-)

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: Examples of the Generation Gap [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

Did you tell her it is a "pound sign"?

That was my thought.. but what does due to the pound and distance traveled mean...

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Examples of the Generation Gap [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't it a "number" sign, rather than a "pound" sign - then it makes sense
Quote Reply
Re: Examples of the Generation Gap [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coming from UK it never made sense to me why American's refer to # on a phone as the pound sign. Over here pound sign is £, there isn't one on a phone dialpad, and # on a phone has always been called hash.

Still find it weird dialling into conference calls and being told to enter my meeting number followed by the pound sign.
Quote Reply