Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dave Scott turns 50 on Sunday...
Quote | Reply
..and was just wondering if any of you know if he is going to do some outlandish workout to celebrate.

I still maintain two things about Dave:

1)I have to believe he will return to Kona once more. I don't think he wants to finish his career at the race with an DNF. Setting a time standard as a 50 year old might just be the carrot to bring him back.

2)That if the stagger rule stays in place, he has a shot at a top 10-15 finish at age 50. I still think, even at 50, he could run a dang fast marathon, especially after a "staggered" bike ride.

Happy New Year to all...and happy 50th to Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott turns 50 on Sunday... [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sure that DS has some outlandish workout planned for this special day. I too would love to see Dave return again for one last shot at Hawaii.

Happy birthday Dave!!

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott turns 50 on Sunday... [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would love to see Dave come back once again. It's just scarey to think that I'm in the same AG.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, you guys stole my thunder...

I am writing something about Dave Scott turning 50 for my website.

Phooey. I thought I had an original idea for once. :(

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott turns 50 on Sunday... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave is the original "Man" of triathlons, too bad many of the posers and weekend warriors don't know who he is. He first book from the 80's is one of the best triathlon books ever. He doesn't say you can do an Ironman on 10 hours a week training or run a marathon on 20 miles a week like Runners World. He tells the truth, HARD WORK AND TIME. Tom your still the man, I bought my Felt from you last spring (you talked me into the high priced one DA 700), you treated me with first class service and my new fit is excellent.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott turns 50 on Sunday... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry Tom...Dave's birthday caught my eye on the new Inside Triathlon calendar I just put up on the wall, and I remember reading that he had done some huge workout on his 40th, so I"m figuring he probably will have a long Sunday planned!

I've met Dave a couple of timers, none of which he is likely to remember, and there is a picture of Dave, my lovely wife and myself just a few feet away as I write this taken at a Mr's T's expo a few years back. Gracious as ever, he took the time for a word and the picture while a LONG line waited behinds us for a moment as well.

When I got a lottery spot in 2001 to Kona it was our hope we'd both be able to see him on the course, but of course things happen. Part of me says "he's done enough" to inspire all of us out there and doesn't need to do it again, and part of me wants to see him go out crossing the line in some sub 9 hour time as a 50 year old. I guess he was right in interviews I have read-- that there is always pressure for him out there...either self-imposed or with all of us watching.

Well, whether he ever toes the mark again or not, he has done enough to help keep me racing for 20 years and I hope he has a happy 50th!

Mark

(Hey Tom...Must be the season..Mark Allen turns 46 on Jan 12th!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave is definitely The Man. On InsideTriathlon http://www.insidetriathlon.com/news/fea/1968.4.html Dave said he’s planning to run the Boston Marathon this year—you know he will be well-prepared. It’ll be interesting to see how fast he runs a stand-alone marathon. He also mentioned thinking about doing Kona… Regardless of any of that, he’s a legend and will always be The Man. Happy 50th Dave.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure it would have been Dave's 40th you read about. He's still the man, but Mark Montgomery's 40th got a lot of press as it was over the top, and that was just the public part. If I loosely remember: 40x100 in the pool, 40K on the track as some scary speed, 40x400 running at an impressive tempo, 40 frames of bowling?, 40 waves surfed, and the rest you probably need to buy Monte a beer to find out about.

But like mentioned above, I'd love to witness Dave returning to Hawaii. That would be sweet.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott turns 50 on Sunday... [cmetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm not sure it would have been Dave's 40th you read about. He's still the man, but Mark Montgomery's 40th got a lot of press as it was over the top, and that was just the public part. If I loosely remember: 40x100 in the pool, 40K on the track as some scary speed, 40x400 running at an impressive tempo, 40 frames of bowling?, 40 waves surfed, and the rest you probably need to buy Monte a beer to find out about.

But like mentioned above, I'd love to witness Dave returning to Hawaii. That would be sweet.
You are right about Mark Montgomery's day, but I believe Dave did something fairly extreme as well. I was happy to see he is looking to run Boston. Back in 1990 I, hero-worshipping, ran Boston in the same In-Sport gear he was wearing during the '89 race with Mark. Suffice to say the singlet didn't make the man...I had a bit of a tough day!
Quote Reply