Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Giro Factor Tech Lace shoe
Quote | Reply
I know Thomas is putting on a clinic on modifying the Giro SLX Laces into a watts savings animal but I still like the ease of adjustability provided by a boa system. The Factor Tech Lace is similar in form as the SLX's but retains an upper boa and laces down the front that are adjustable using a velcro system.

The shoes are pretty narrow and I have fairly wide and fat feet. 44's are more normal size choice and though snug they fit great, so great that the laces were entirely superfluous to my fit so I simply cut them off. The boas is more than sufficient to achieve a great feeling fit on the fly and allow for a VERY wide entry, so much so that with a tab attached you could easily do a flying clipped in mount with these. Although not as aero as a tweeted SLX it's a great option if speed of entry and adjustable fit are important to you. All I need now is a cover our wrap to go over the middle section.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Last edited by: Bryancd: Apr 28, 17 15:31
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Factor Tech Lace shoe [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mean they are certainly nice and the narrow profile and lack of material probably helps over some of the bulky alternatives out there. The fact that the way I have them set up for one tension is one negative but being elastic this is greatly mitigated. Although I do use them for training, I highly suggest people use something more adjustable day to day and save the SLX for race day.

Others are using these SweetSpot soccer cleat covers for the middle aero cover flap. I bought one, but have never used it in a race.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Factor Tech Lace shoe [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I mean they are certainly nice and the narrow profile and lack of material probably helps over some of the bulky alternatives out there. The fact that the way I have them set up for one tension is one negative but being elastic this is greatly mitigated. Although I do use them for training, I highly suggest people use something more adjustable day to day and save the SLX for race day.

Others are using these SweetSpot soccer cleat covers for the middle aero cover flap. I bought one, but have never used it in a race.

Being elastic was something else I perceive as a negative. I prefer the "locked in" feeling the boa provides around the mouth of the shoe. I mean when I tighten them down they are ON.

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is the sockless comfort? Have you tried a flying mount/getting in them while riding at all?

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Factor Tech Lace shoe [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
How is the sockless comfort? Have you tried a flying mount/getting in them while riding at all?

they feel great without socks, no hot spots or rubbing that I've noticed yet. I always ride without socks. No on the flying mount.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Being elastic was something else I perceive as a negative. I prefer the "locked in" feeling the boa provides around the mouth of the shoe. I mean when I tighten them down they are ON.

Sure I get that. I know in an Ironman it isn't necessarily a huge thing, especially since age-groupers can't do flying mounts, but for myself, in sprints, Olympics, and my own 70.3 and 140.6, not having to reach down to tighten and loosen is nice. Especially given sometimes the critical nature of timing in Men's pro race. I also often times find myself at the back of a swim group as the last one to make the pack and I don't have a lot of margin for error in transition and it is one more thing I don't have to worry about.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Age groupers can't do flying mounts? US rule or?
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Factor Tech Lace shoe [jakesdk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakesdk wrote:

I shouldn't say flying mounts, I just thought you could have your shoes attached to the pedals anymore. Correct me if I am wrong. That is what they were starting to push my last year as an amateur.

Quote Reply
Re: Giro Factor Tech Lace shoe [jakesdk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakesdk wrote:

In IM branded races AG racers can't have shoes pre-clipped in, hence not much chance of a flying mount being successful. :) Not sure if this is a US and Canada thing, or if it's global.

In regards to the shoes, they seem like a good alternative to 'traditional' shoes and a middle ground aero-wise.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Last edited by: natethomas: Apr 28, 17 17:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder how much more aero shoes would be with the dial on the top of the shoe. My PI Pro Leader shoes have it on the top of the shoe. Obviously that can effect the mount because you'd have to get your shoe in and not on top so you wouldn't press the BOA down. But I do like the look of those shoes.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then why not something like the Pearl Izumi Pro Leader 3 http://www.pearlizumi.com/...eader_III/p/15316001 for instance, that put the boa not on the side of the shoe? The main reason to use the laced shoe seemed to be that reason...

Just the first thing I thought of when people keep bringing up the Tech Lace...

Brent

Bryancd wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Factor Tech Lace shoe [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I obviously didn't read to the bottom of the page lol

Brent

jrielley wrote:
I wonder how much more aero shoes would be with the dial on the top of the shoe. My PI Pro Leader shoes have it on the top of the shoe. Obviously that can effect the mount because you'd have to get your shoe in and not on top so you wouldn't press the BOA down. But I do like the look of those shoes.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Factor Tech Lace shoe [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
jakesdk wrote:

In IM branded races AG racers can't have shoes pre-clipped in, hence not much chance of a flying mount being successful. :) Not sure if this is a US and Canada thing, or if it's global.

In regards to the shoes, they seem like a good alternative to 'traditional' shoes and a middle ground aero-wise.

Did 2 IM branded races in EU last year. Not a rule in any of them. Hoping that rule wont make it over here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Although I do use them for training, I highly suggest people use something more adjustable day to day and save the SLX for race day.

Also for AGs, I do, with respect, not share your opinion. I think, especially on longer distances, the shoes should be comfortable. I follow the rule that what you do not like in training, don't use it in a race. Train with which you race!
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Factor Tech Lace shoe [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Although I do use them for training, I highly suggest people use something more adjustable day to day and save the SLX for race day.

Also for AGs, I do, with respect, not share your opinion. I think, especially on longer distances, the shoes should be comfortable. I follow the rule that what you do not like in training, don't use it in a race. Train with which you race!

I am not saying NOT because I do not like for training. In fact, one reason I say that is because I am of some opinion that as you scuff the shoes up they may become slightly less aero. You also may wear socks where as for racing you might not and that affects things like tension. The reality is that many people have race day only equipment. For me that includes:

#1 - Clean Bike (I don't clean it in training)
#2 - Chain
#3 - Cassette
#4 - Tires, Tubes, and Wheels
#5 - Flat kit supplies
#6 - Trisuit
#7 - Aero helmet

I am a big fan of practicing using your race equipment to get comfortable with it. But I am fan of keeping it as fresh, clean, and new as possible. Hope this helps clarify my position.

Quote Reply
Re: Giro Factor Tech Lace shoe [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a good thought! Maybe PI will see the future and create that shoe!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
longtrousers wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

I am not saying NOT because I do not like for training. In fact, one reason I say that is because I am of some opinion that as you scuff the shoes up they may become slightly less aero. You also may wear socks where as for racing you might not and that affects things like tension. The reality is that many people have race day only equipment. For me that includes:

#2 - Chain
#3 - Cassette
#5 - Flat kit supplies
#6 - Trisuit
#7 - Aero helmet

I am a big fan of practicing using your race equipment to get comfortable with it. But I am fan of keeping it as fresh, clean, and new as possible. Hope this helps clarify my position.
I see what you mean. I just wanted to say that if you buy something new to race in, you have to test it in training at least a couple of times. I'm myself for example getting used to the elastic laces in the SLX, and I think it is ok, I do not feel a difference with velco strips or normal laces when I'm on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Factor Tech Lace shoe [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
longtrousers wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

#2 - Chain
#3 - Cassette
#5 - Flat kit supplies
#6 - Trisuit
#7 - Aero helmet

I see what you mean. I just wanted to say that if you buy something new to race in, you have to test it in training at least a couple of times. I'm myself for example getting used to the elastic laces in the SLX, and I think it is ok, I do not feel a difference with velco strips or normal laces when I'm on the bike.

Sure I get what you are saying. Fwiw, I am a huge believe in Supersonics tire but somehow thru the grapevine people have get overly worried with flats IMHO so I ask people to please ride them in training so they can get comfortable with the durability and feel confident on race day. I try to do the same thing with say an 808 front wheel, I ask people to please ride it in training if they are going to race it. Preferably on some of the windy days out there. Using elastic has its + and -.

Quote Reply
Re: Giro Factor Tech Lace shoe [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
jakesdk wrote:

I've never done a full IM but at the last 3 HIM I've done (Raleigh, Miami, Florida... all WTC), I had my shoes clipped in before mounting.

I know there have been some HIM, races that have not allowed it but it seems to has gone away. Now for full IM's.... I have no idea.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Factor Tech Lace shoe [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered a pair of Sweet Spot soccer lace covers to put around the lower part of the shoe where I removed the laces.

https://www.amazon.com/...3EDJVX5VDPQKY4BCA5SK

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
The shoes are pretty narrow and I have fairly wide and fat feet. 44's are more normal size choice and though snug they fit great...

I'm thinking of getting this exact shoe. Do you still like them?

And size-wise, how true do you think they fit compared to the Giro size chart?

Euro sizing isn't consistent from brand to brand. For example, I wear a 46 in Lake and Shimano, but they equate to different US sizes from each other, and from Giro. I can't seem to find these shoes in local shops near me, so I'm going to have to order online without trying them on. I wear a US 11.5 shoe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to clarify, they are narrow in general or compared to the Empire SLX? I have the lace ups and was looking at these
Quote Reply