Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Baby It's Cold Outside on the bicycle
Quote | Reply
          Having lost almost all of last year on the bicycle due to shoulder surgery and the time spent in PT to get it back, (It is better than ever by the way) I want to get my cycling back to where it was two years ago. That means I have to get outside for some rides this winter. I've got most of the gear I need but I feel like 40 degrees is the coldest I want to ride. Give me some inspiration, I see the roadies out on some pretty cold days, how cold does it have to be to stop you from riding outside? What do you special to stay warm?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Baby It's Cold Outside on the bicycle [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

today I started the 2004 season. It had 0 degree celsius ( 32 degree fahrenheit ) outside. The roads were mostly dry and it was some wind. I rode for two hours then my fingertips and toes were cold so I ended the trip. It was more fun than watching tv.

regards,

Frank

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My problem is staying cool when it's warm rather than staying warm when it's cool, so I may not be the best guy to give you advice. I'll ride outside in temps as cold as the mid to upper teens F. Here are a few things I find key to staying warm.

1. A Winstopper™ Jersey is a must! Then layer underneath
2. Cold weather tights worn over my normal cycling shorts or tights
3. Duct tape the vents on my shoes shut
4. Wear the cold weather neoprene shoe covers when the temps are below freezing.
5. I've got a pair of gloves meant for cross country skiing. They are fairly light and have a leather plam, but they do a much better job of keeping my hands warm than my purpose built Trek winter cycling gloves.

We're doing a new year's day group ride today, it's 35F and I am trying to decide which layers I need to leave off, so I don't get too hot.

Good luck in your recovery and cold weather riding.

Happy new year!

=====================================
It's ALL about the bike!
Quote Reply
Re: Baby It's Cold Outside on the bicycle [asd99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got hooked up this xmas with a bunch of cold weather cycling gear. It works great and I could definetely go down to the teens with it. Get yourself to REI with about $250 in hand and get the following:

1) Gore Windstopper jacket

2) Windstopping pants for over your cycling tights (the ones I got were only windstopping in the front but that does the job)

3) Their windproof gloves

4) Neoprene Booties w/ tape on the vents on the bottom

5) A full head gator

6) Wicking layers underneath

I am GREAT on the flats but as soon as I start climbing I begin sweating...and then I try to vent and then I just get wet and cold so I close up and then get hot again so I vent, etc, etc. I am still trying to get the right amount of initial venting going for an anticipated climb but you get the idea. I think most of your heat is lost via wind blowing over your extremeties so my goal is to stop the wind. My problem area are my toes but as long as they are warm, the rest of me is happy. Unfortunately, I feel I go a lot slower with all this crap on because a) I can't feel the wind and b) it must weight at least 4 lbs or so...but then again, I'm training so what do i care
Quote Reply
Re: Baby It's Cold Outside on the bicycle [ahoodlum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok so I'm in tucson and cold is 25-30 although our low the other day (19F) was lower than chicago, boston and anchorage. I always wear a coolmax type singlet or skintight shirt, a jersey, and vest or jacket. usually w/ a mesh back. toe warmers, leg and arm warmers and a pair of old running gloves with the rubber dots on the fingers and palms. got some neoprene diving gloves I can't wait to try out. Sometimes a head gator.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Baby It's Cold Outside on the bicycle [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
highly recommend some under armour cold gear as a base layer - works well keeping your skin warm and dry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favorite upper layer is the Sporthill XC Top. It's windproof to 35 mph and can truthfully be worn to 20 degrees F as your only upper layer. I also like to wear a skinsuit to keep cold drafts from coming up my back. I find that ski gloves work better than biking gloves. Also, I always carry a neck gaiter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate the cold -

my 40 degree kit:

1. Un D shirt, ss jersey and shorts, arm & knee warmers

2. balaclava (lycra thin)

3. fleece lined shoe covers or lycra shoe covers

4. ski gloves w/heat actuated warming packs ($1.39 for 2) for the first half of the ride, PI gloves for the 2nd half

5. club wind jacket shell

6. yellow rain/wind proof Performance rain jacket shell

layers make it work !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I figured out a super solution to this problem. It was low 40's on Long Island with a 10-15 mph wind. Low 40's is my threshold. I'm a cold weather wuss, so.... I dressed appropriately and then rode 35 miles downwind (I felt like a god too with the extra push for that long). After 35 miles my feet started getting cold and the road turned more into the wind, so... I raised my hand, pulled over to the side of the road and my lovely wife, who had been following me in the car with the hazards on the whole ride pulled up, I put my bike on the rack, put on a few more clothes and climbed into the toasty warm car.

That my friend, is how to beat the weather!!!!!!

Smartest thing I've done all year! :) (get it? All year? 2004! Ha!)

Actually, the car thing was a little test done for safety cuz' Long Island drivers drive like shit. Worked perfectly on that angle too. Man I was in biking nirvana today.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We rode mountain bikes outside for about 2 hours on snowmachine trails yesterday at –18F (yeah, 18 below zero Fahrenheit) here in Fairbanks, AK--hot tub sure felt good afterwards! We’ve had lots of snow on the ground since Oct, so road biking is out until Apr. Lots of good tips already given, it's vital to ensure you layer and ventilate so that you don’t sweat heavily. Loads of excellent advice on winter biking (primarily mountian biking--but advice on staying warm applies here) at the Icebike wesite: http://users.rcn.com/icebike/
Quote Reply
Re: Baby It's Cold Outside on the bicycle [Bill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bill, now thats cold. Don't know that I have the balls to do that, let alone have balls left if I did.

Anyone ever take a pair of socks (wool) and pull them over your bike shoes and cut out the part for your cleat?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I guess it's up to me to be the cold weather wimp on this subject. I live in North Florida and about 55 degrees is my limit. It's been pretty cold here for Florida standards for the past month. 10-13 years ago I would ride even when it get into the 30's, but lately I can't stand the cold. Looking forward to this weekend with highs in the upper 70's.
Quote Reply
Re: Baby It's Cold Outside on the bicycle [trimichael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love to go mountainbiking in the snow, no problem at -10 celsius, but I dont wear cycling clothes mostly:

At -10 celsius for about 3 hours

1. Electric warmer for the shooes + a neprene cover (with this setup I can wear clickies)

2. No cold drinks - tea before and after and a small thermos during the ride. Cold drinks cool you down a lot

3. Short cycling shorts, long ones and a trainer over it - thats what my legs need to stay warm

4. Undershirt, Short cycling jersey and a long one (fleece) with a jacket.

5. Skiing gloves, a light face mask and skiing hat and a helmet - thats it.

Of course switching gears with my cycling gloves is a bit tricky - but its winter training not a race - missing a gear from time to time is no big problem, breaking is easy though. During long uphil parts I will remove the jacket in order not to sweat too much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for all your advise. Today it's raining and 40 degrees. I'll run short, swim and get on the computrainer. I just can't to get on the bicycle in the rain. Justin, did you ride along the service Road? That's would be the best one way road around. Sometimes I hate to turn around after a great first half, and ruin my average fighting my way home.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You cold weather people are gonzo!

Wouldn't it be easier, cheeper and less time consuming to move rather than go thru the exercise of layering every ride.

Don't come to SoCal though... it's already too crowded.
Quote Reply
Re: Baby It's Cold Outside on the bicycle [OCTriGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing against California, but I would die without the mountains, the snow, the cross country skiing, the alpine skiing, the trail running in the snow, the downhill mountainbiking in the snow ...

The sun looks different reflecting in fresh snow - we had 50cm today - ok the driving was nasty but tomorrow is a public holyday and I am exited to go X-skiing.
Quote Reply
Re: Baby It's Cold Outside on the bicycle [adal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can do all those things in California, while living somewhere warm. Big mountains are only a few hours away from any point along the coast. Tons of ski resorts, etc...

There is a reason so many people live there. Not much to sacrifice when it comes to outdoor activities. You can have your cake and eat it too.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply