Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Race Prep - Swim Tips Needed
Quote | Reply
Hey,

I have two weeks to get myself primed for my first (of two) Olympic A-races for the year. Trouble is, in the last couple of warm up races, my swim leg has been pretty average. I am a consistent low 1.45 100m swimmer in the pool, but have been averaging around 2min 100m's, and am at a loss to understand why.

Can anyone suggest what proportion of open water vs pool swims I should be doing in the lead up to the race? How can I quickly make the improvements in pool time translate to open water performance?

Just as background, I have no fear of the water (grew up on surf beaches and love nothing more than a body surf in good swell!!), and neither of the swims has been rough at all. OK, I have been a bit rusty on the navigation, but that should not account for all the time losses. I feel as though I am not strong enough to pull the wetsuit as well as the water - but all this against stronger times in the pool. I do not want to blame the wetsuit (Orca Predator), but what felt good last year now feels like it is working against me.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Race Prep - Swim Tips Needed [Oz Tri-Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your wetsuit should, if you're maintaining correct form, make you faster. However, maintaining correct form can be difficult in a wetsuit if you've not practiced much. I wasn't able to tell from your post if your 1:45/2:00 per 100 meter time comparisons were both from the pool (meaning that your times are slipping in the pool) or if the first was from the pool and the second was from open water. Assuming you meant the latter, there are a number of factors that you may not be considering that could cause a slower time, namely, other swimmers, a course that's a little long, running into and out of the water, navigation, et cetera. All these things could add up.

My hunch is, however, that you may not be swimming with good form in your wetsuit. I've known people that swim worse in their wetsuit because they *feel* like they're reaching with their arms and maintaining their kick, but because the wetsuit is tight they're actually not reaching as far as they should (poor catch, quicker arm turnover) and because their legs are now bouyant they neglect their kick.

I'd say that every swim you do from now until your race should be done in open water, if possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the other post and would only add one more thing. Many swim courses are traingular and everyone lines themselves up on the inside nearest to the buoys. The shortest distance between two points is the straight line so in your next race, line yourself up with the turn buoy that is most likely 300 meters out and start from there (on the outside) and you will automatically cut some of the course out and may even have less people to swim over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I assume you mean your open water swim time is 2min 100's. Have you tried swimming with a pull buoy in the pool? I've heard that that somewhat simulates the flotation that a wetsuit gives you. Maybe try swiming with your wetsuit in the pool for a few laps to make sure you are comparing apples to apples (be careful not to overheat though and make sure to rinse your wetsuit really good afterwards). I've found that I'm a slower open water swimmer in a race because I zigzag the course sometimes and get off course when the sun gets in my eyes. The times where I felt like I took the shortest path, I've always had better than expected times. Of course I never trust the precise measurement of a open water course so I never really care too much about my individual time. I care more about how I did relative to my competitors.

- Steve
http://bailey.sts.winisp.net
Quote Reply