Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Big rider needs a stiffer wheel...
Quote | Reply
Got a question for y'all (also cross-posted in similar form to RBT...under a safe pseudonym to avoid the spam-bots :^) ).

So, I weigh about 220, and ride a set of speed dreams "aerolight" wheels on my road bike. They are 18F/24R, 14 ga bladed spokes. I love them, they have stayed true over thousands of miles, crappy roads, no problem. I love them, until I get out of the saddle.

When climbing out of the saddle, or sprinting, they seem to rub the brake pads (in front, not sure about rear). I mean, I think I can see them hitting, and it sounds like SOMETHING unauthorized is going on when I really crank. Sort of like a hissing sound, associated with my downstroke on the pedals.

So here is the question: Would I always have this problem, because of my size/strength? Should I invest in a set of higher spoke-count wheels? Should I just open my brake calipers more?

Could this be the result of the crummy carbon fork on my lemond alpe d'huez (2001)? reason I ask is that if my wheels were really flexing that much, I figure they would have gone out of true by now, which they have not. Not the tiniest wobble.

Thanks for any help,

Philbert

Dr. Philip Skiba
Scientific Training for Endurance Athletes now available on Amazon!
Quote Reply
Re: Big rider needs a stiffer wheel... [Philbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I'd say you need a stiffer wheel - probably with more spokes - have read about zipp making wheels for heavier people. The flexing is one of the advantages of spokes - you get the flex but it comes back pretty much all the time but if its hitting brakes then slowing you down. Because you are getting so much flex I'd be thinking more spokes though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check the tension.The wheel can be true but need to be tensioned.I am 220 and don't have any problems with low spoke count wheels.A stiffer fork might also help.Do you ues a Ti. skewer?These too will flex.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know if the wheel is the problem.

But there are aero wheels for clydesdales.

Bicyclesports has them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
make sure that if it is the wheel, it's not something loose in the hub. one explanation for your phenomenon is that the wheel is stiff and true but you've got wobble in the hub: loose cones if it's an older style loose ball bearing type, or the axle isn't seated snugly inside the cassette-style bearing, or the bearing isn't seated properly inside the hub shell.

just grab the wheel and move it back and forth. if there's play in it, you can tell it from that, and that's your problem.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Big rider needs a stiffer wheel... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the ideas, guys. Spoke tension is good at the moment. Also, I didn't think of the hub, but after checking it, that is fine too (cartridge bearing type). Maybe I'll see about getting a front with more spokes.

Philbert

Dr. Philip Skiba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vote for you need more spokes. Your wheel is probably very well built, Dave Thomas does a great job. If the wheel is still true, your spoke tension is likely correct and testimony to the build job, but you just need more spokes. Are they 650 or 700? what hubs? which brand spokes?

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not familiar with that wheelset. Are these racing aero wheels or your trainers? If they're trainers, I'm with those advising more spokes. If they're racers, I'd just look at not using these on hilly courses that you really crank on, or back off the cranking and spin up...
Quote Reply
Re: Big rider needs a stiffer wheel... [andyt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are 700c, with american classic hubs and sapim bladed spokes. Velocity fusion rim. Overall, beautiful wheels.

Philbert

Dr. Philip Skiba
Quote Reply
Re: Big rider needs a stiffer wheel... [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These were my racing wheels, now relegated to training and road race status since I came into a hed 3/hed deep combo at a nice price :^). But I have been thinking about ebaying these suckers and getting dave to build me another set with more spokes...

Philbert

Dr. Philip Skiba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you sure it's the front wheel making the noise and not part of the drive train. The side load on the front wheel would be mostly just from angling your bike while standing up. The side load on back wheel and drive train is much bigger. I've had this same problem on various bikes and it has always been the crank flexing and hitting the deraileur or the rear wheel being pulled sideways by chain tension. I actually broke the seat tube off the bottom bracket while climbing. Does the noise go away if you climb with your front brakes opened up? The hissing noise could be the rear wheel hitting the chain stay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The sapim bladed spokes are not 14g, they are more like 14/17, and the fact that they are skinny [i]and[/i]bladed is probably the cause of the whippiness. I would bet that if you had them done with 14g round or oval (wheelsmith is supposed to be coming out with a 14g oval spoke) you would be happier. Even 15g would be stiffer than what you have right now.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you get the rubbing with the HED wheels on? If not, that's your answer but I'd be surprised if it's the low spoke count wheels. I'm 220 and have Rolf Vector Pro's (700) and Shimano DA (650) wheels that have been bullet proof for me. I used to eat Mavic Open 32 spoke wheels for lunch. 14 ga spokes would start breaking at about 1500 miles on the rear. I think if you were getting a lot of spoke flex, spokes would have been breaking by now from fatigue.
Quote Reply