Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Dave, you are simply wrong. They never were this high, and if you paid attention, I have NEVER seen the team full. They go, what, 16 deep in each AG? Having done a number myself and seeing the kits at other races I do, the quality of the team is not very high as so many good athletes see the cost as ridiculous and the "roll down" goes waaaaayyyyyy down to people that are frankly not very fast or representative of their country, but have money and the ego to wear the kit at every race they do. Many years I was shocked at how slow many were in my own AG. This ain't the Olympics buddy!
Agree with this... although it seems a bit Elitist, its the truth.

Trican sound like TeamUSA with the added pain of paying in a foreign currency.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, emailed TriCan and got the same response. What a f-ing shit show, still have no idea why they would use an Australian supplier and not local such as Garneau????

Proud Kiwami Ambassador/Team Member
ask me anything about:
https://kiwamitri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [trijunkie123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trijunkie123 wrote:
Yup, emailed TriCan and got the same response. What a f-ing shit show, still have no idea why they would use an Australian supplier and not local such as Garneau????

Well, the US went local with Roka and it's a shit show.....But, at least LG has done a tri suit before and makes nice stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
ggeiger wrote:
Dave, you are simply wrong. They never were this high, and if you paid attention, I have NEVER seen the team full. They go, what, 16 deep in each AG? Having done a number myself and seeing the kits at other races I do, the quality of the team is not very high as so many good athletes see the cost as ridiculous and the "roll down" goes waaaaayyyyyy down to people that are frankly not very fast or representative of their country, but have money and the ego to wear the kit at every race they do. Many years I was shocked at how slow many were in my own AG. This ain't the Olympics buddy!

Agree with this... although it seems a bit Elitist, its the truth.

Trican sound like TeamUSA with the added pain of paying in a foreign currency.

I get what you say about sounding a bit "elitist", but when you represent the country at a WC, I feel it should be. Standards are quite low and it seems the luster is truly coming off with the insane expenses added on and ITU dictating so much. After qualifying I looked into it and found I could do an IM AND a 70.3 for about the same as what I'd pay for that. While times used to be good in the past, the money grab that this has become is killing it IMO. Our USAT is frankly a disaster and they keep staying the same course that hasn't worked for a number of years now. They seem to be the Sears of triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not going to defend some of the chaos going on, but.... As a government funded entity, Tri Can is likely obligated, in a procurement process, after screening against mandatory requirements (of which i have no idea what they would be), to select the most economical bid. Unless being a locally based was a mandatory criteria, it means that any domestic bids were not as competitive as to what Project offered. That doesn't mean it's the cheapest for us as age groupers, it means it was the most economical deal for Tri Can, whatever that means.

In terms of the gong show, a few points worth pointing out. I suspect a very similar outcome would have ensued regardless of what company won the bid, for a number of reasons. Firstly, in the past, whoever provided the kit was able to space out production, into smaller batches with different due dates, due to multiple world championship events that were spaced out. This is the first ITU World Multisport Festival brining all of these events into one city over 9 days, which drastically condenses the production times that the companies need to deal with. Secondly, with Canada being the host nation, our numbers are substantially larger than they would be for a world championship held outside of north america (You can look at patterns in age group team size over the years, and they always peak whenever the championships are close to home, or where travel costs are more reasonable, versus say when the championships are held in Australia, or Asia). This further exacerbates tight turnaround times for production. Then there's also the specific issue of the kit being a custom design (not a stock base pattern) and each one needing to have the athlete's name printed on the kit, meaning it would be harder to bulk produce (they should have asked for historic data from past championships to get an idea of the basic size distributions to help get a jump start though). These issues would have effected any manufacturer local or foreign... I've never worn Project, and haven't received my kit yet, so I can't speak to the quality of their garments versus some of the Canadian companies. But I would suspect the only difference we might have experienced with a Canadian company would have been to be charged in Canadian dollars (australian dollars are so close to canadian dollars in value, this difference is almost moot) and maybe saving $15 in shipping costs (there's a lot of heterogeneity in item costs for custom designs, so it's impossible to speculate on the difference in item costs as part of the kit.... based on my gut feeling, the tri suit prices are pretty standard and fairly close to what we paid in the past with other kit manufacturers, the jacket cost is very reasonable (less than the item price for team jackets for some of the past worlds I have raced), the shorts/bag are kind of pointless, but similar in costs to track pants I've had to get for past worlds parade kit, and the tech shirt, this is the one that is substantially higher than I've paid in the past for worlds)... The one big win Tri Can could have had with a domestic manufacturer is being able to say they support canadian businesses... The big win for us would have been easier communication with the manufacturers around these issues (which again, would likely have still happened regardless of where the kits came from) being housed in same or similar timezones to us (rather than having to deal with a substantial time difference to Australia since Project hasn't set up a Canadian office yet, as they have committed to doing as part of the deal (I do not work for tri can, I have no knowledge of the deal itself, other than the details that have been publicly communicated in the team updates)).

The other component to the whole thing where I would put some fault on Tri Can was the timing of the Bid process for a kit contract. This should have taken place and wrapped up in the fall/winter... It wasn't until Feb/March that the deal with Project was announced, and then there's the lag for designs to be created, submitted to the ITU for approval, and for approvals to be obtained, and then for the web store to be built and launched. Meaning it wasn't until April that ordering began. Had this been wrapped up by Christmas, ordering could have started in February, which would have given any manufacturer a bit more breathing room to handle this scale of custom production. I mean who knows, maybe an earlier time frame was the intent, but there were a lack of suitable bids, or negotiations took longer, or whatever, but this is the one aspect of the whole thing where I would argue there was fault on Tri Can's part. The other thing that I would lay some blame at was the lack of availability of sample pieces to try on (in the past Tri Can has had samples from their manufacturer at select events and expos where people could attend and tri on to figure out fit), since there are no shops as far as I know in Canada selling their products. Hopefully for the next few years (since the deal is through the 2020 games) they will be able to do this...

I do think people need to chill a bit, many past years kit has been delivered directly to the team hotel at worlds, rather than to us at home over a month in advance. For example with 2013 Worlds in Ottawa, with Champion System kit, and the race two weeks earlier than the first event in Penticton, I would have gotten my kit a week or so ago (other worlds I got my kit closer to the event), because I remember wearing it in a race with 2 weeks of getting the kit and that race is happening tomorrow (06 in cornerbrook it came a week before I flew out to worlds...)... The biggest difference this year is that there's a much larger volume of people expecting their kit on the same timeline, and they're all linked via social media to be catalysts to others complaints and worries... I get that people are excited, because of lack of communications and some pushing back of timelines people are afraid they will miss their deliveries while on vacation, and with the tight window for reorder, people are nervous about the fit. But it is a tri suit, not a cure for cancer... Another week is not the end of the world (it'll still be a month out from the race...).
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you, it seems to be less and less of an elite field.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi has anyone had this issue? My wife is doing the long coarse and we ordered all the compulsory kits plus a few extras back around April. We then get a email late May saying she was going to be kicked off the team unless she orders her compulsory clothing. We contact tri can showing proof of the purchase ( email confirmation of the payment by Eway and even our bank statement showing the funds deducted from our account) Tri can in turn gives us the clothing reps email we try to communicate with him but all we get is a we're looking into it response. WTF I can't get a response from them ,no fed ex tracking notification as of July 7 the and this company is half way around the world with our $692 cdn. Canada has 2 quality clothing manufacturers.

"Be your best cheerleader , not your worst critic.”
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [Kirch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exciting to see this year they're going with 2XU. However I'm mostly here to ask if everyone else has been receiving updates. This will (hopefully) be my first AG worlds. I got newsletter #4 and haven't gotten an AG worlds related email since? I'm wondering if I got kicked off the list for some reason? I've paid my down payment (team management fee) and hotel and updated my provincial triathlon membership for this year ( i think there were 2 days between expiry and renewal). I emailed Shauna and Rachel and haven't heard anything back. It's just been almost 2 months with no word and I'm starting to worry something has gone wrong.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [CoolDownChamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CoolDownChamp wrote:
Exciting to see this year they're going with 2XU. However I'm mostly here to ask if everyone else has been receiving updates. This will (hopefully) be my first AG worlds. I got newsletter #4 and haven't gotten an AG worlds related email since? I'm wondering if I got kicked off the list for some reason? I've paid my down payment (team management fee) and hotel and updated my provincial triathlon membership for this year ( i think there were 2 days between expiry and renewal). I emailed Shauna and Rachel and haven't heard anything back. It's just been almost 2 months with no word and I'm starting to worry something has gone wrong.

Which event are you racing in, i.e. are you going to Denmark or Australia? I'm going to Fyn for the duathlon events and I've ordered my kit and paid up my event registration fees (I'm applying for a second mortgage as we speak). I can dig up emails and forward them if you PM me your email address.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
CoolDownChamp wrote:

Which event are you racing in, i.e. are you going to Denmark or Australia? I'm going to Fyn for the duathlon events and I've ordered my kit and paid up my event registration fees (I'm applying for a second mortgage as we speak). I can dig up emails and forward them if you PM me your email address.

Sorry I should have specified it's actually Australia. Thank you so much regardless!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going to Australia as well and was wondering the same thing. I called Triathlon Canada yesterday and they told me that the next newsletter would be coming next week. We'll see what happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [Larry NC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The store for gold coast should be open sometime next week. I'm helping out as AG team manager. Once it's open, we'll send out an update with ordering info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still lots of time for Australia, With Multisport Worlds in Denmark being a month and change earlier than Penticton last year, there's more urgency to get kit and the sort organized for Fyn first, before getting everything set for Gold Coast. That being said, I anticipate way fewer kit related mishaps this year. First of all, it's not Project... 2XU is australian, but they have solid distribution in Canada (for many of us racing Fyn, we were able to find a local shop that at least had some 2XU products to get an idea of sizing), and are known to produce higher quality kit... Secondly, with the multisport championships not being in Canada, the Grand final in Australia, and changes to the qualifying process, the team sizes will be much smaller this year, so there's not the sheer volume of people to kit up, there's a bigger spread between the championships (as mentioned above, Fyn is a month earlier than Penticton was, the Grand Final is always in the same ballpark...) which makes things a bit easier on whomever is supplying the kit, to pace their production, and to have time for quality control...

I for one am happy that I have yet to see the "team" facebook groups like we had last year... While it was a good way to communicate and to meet others, I have never seen such an atomic bomb of bitching, moaning and negativity (especially all things Project...)...
Quote Reply

Prev Next