Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Front & Rear Derailleur Problems
Quote | Reply
I hope someone might be able to help me with this. My cassette has always had a metal tapping sound in a gear or two, I have taken into my LBS several times and they adjust it and it just moves to another gear. Also, my front derailleur is throwing my chain when I switch from the large cog to the small cog (when on the large gear on the cassette). I know you don't ride large to small or small to large gears, but I don't think it should be throwing my chain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
----->Trent
Quote Reply
Re: Front & Rear Derailleur Problems [trent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you checked for a stiff link?

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it might be a pain, but take some time reading up on how stuff works, rec.bicycle.tech is a good start. Get yourself a couple of new cables to start with and apply all of your new found knowledge. You shouldn't be dropping the chain (travel screws) and you should be able to get a relatively quiet drivetrain when everything is in working order. To me drivetrains are personal and no one can adjust things exactly like I want them to be based on the gear ratios I like to ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diagnose from simplest to most most complex:

1. Is your rear wheel in the dropout correctly? Straight? Tight?

2. Are your cogs appropriately tightened on your wheel? Are your spacers in the right place?

3. Is your chain the correct length and free from stiff links?

After that it becomes a bike shop issue.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Front & Rear Derailleur Problems [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you check for a stiff link?
Quote Reply
Re: Front & Rear Derailleur Problems [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
or a reason to buy a new bike! : )
Quote Reply
Re: Front & Rear Derailleur Problems [dts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bike is only two months old...that is one of the reasons I am so frustrated. I have put about 350-400 miles on it already so the cables should be stretched....what a HEADACHE!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New bikes almost always have the most problems, especially if the assembler is meticulous and experienced. Building new bikes is not rocket science, an "art" or any of that crap. It is a simple trade that comes from attention to detail and practice.

It is not uncommon for a bike to develop shifting problems after 2 months. As you correctly mentioned, this could be cable stretch. An experienced mechanic can build a bike and "induce" cable stretch thereby avoiding the annoying break-in of stretched cables.

It might be worth mentioning this to the LBS you got your bike from. I'm certain they would be willing to correct the situation to your satisfaction- which is what you deserve.

Good luck and Happy New Year!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Front & Rear Derailleur Problems [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To check for a stiff link - pedal backwards with the bike NEXT to you (not under you) - if there is a stiff link you will see it move the rear Der.

Second...if you chuck your chain onto the BB shell on Big -> Small shifts, who ever built the bike did it wrong. Myself, and most other good mechanics can adjust a front Der with out a cable on the bike...you dont need a cable or even shifter to set the limit screws (the ones that keep the Der from going to far in or out).

Third...there can be many reasons for a rattle in the rear cogs...could be your spacers, could be allot of things. Take the bike to a shop other than the idiots who built it.

And like another person posted....get a book...I would suggest the Barnetts manual over all others.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"My cassette has always had a metal tapping sound in a gear or two"

could be one of several things. How old is your cassette & chain. is the derailleur hanger aligned correctly? Does the chain match the cassette?

"Also, my front derailleur is throwing my chain when I switch from the large cog to the small cog (when on the large gear on the cassette)."

If you have 650c wheels (and very short chainstays), it makes it more likely that the chain will be thrown from the front. If you have ever replaced your front chainrings, you may have gotten the wrong type (shimano has A and B rings, for different combos). Also, your front derailleur limit screws may not be properly adjusted, and/or the cage may not be aligned correctly. when in the small front / large rear combo, you shouldn't have more than 1mm clearance between the chain and the derailleur cage when the cable is completely slack.

Hope that helps a little
Quote Reply
Re: Front & Rear Derailleur Problems [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the wheels are 650. I have an Ultegra Rear Derailleur, 105 Front, 105 chain, and 105 cassette.

Thanks everyone for all of the info here.

----->Trent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
650c wheel bikes are more prone to front shifting problems. There are countless things to look for, but one big one is the angle of the front derailleur. A steep seat tubed bike with a clamp on front derailleur raises the "tail" of the f.d. cage much too high, esp on 650c bikes. It may be a fatal flaw in the frame design.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply