Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sleeping Pills/Marathon
Quote | Reply
Hi-

I'm wondering if others have used sleeping pills to help get a good night's sleep the night before a big marathon. I've never tried them for anything, but a friend recommended them once for the night before a big race. Since I haven't used them before, they might be good to "practice with" other than the day before the race.

I'm not one for using medicine unnecessarily, but even after racing 5 marathons, I can never fall asleep the night before. (Like they always say, get your good night's sleep "the night before the night before"). Of course, I'd be sure to start my 8 hours of sleep so I can still wake up at 5 am for the race.

Thoughts?

DKSF
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeping Pills/Marathon [dksf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this "friend" of yours in the same race? I bet your "friend" wont take sleeping pills before the race. That is a VERY bad idea. (I even called a buddy of mine who is an Endocrinologist to ask him). He told me that most sleeping pills like Tylenol PM and the such are in your body for no less than 12 hours after you take it...and will certainly alter your performance for even 48 hours after you take them. His suggestion was that if you have sleeping issues to take (NOT BEFORE A RACE) 1/4 of a dose of Nyquil...he stated that with Nyquil in liquid form it was quite easy to control a lesser dosage to attain sleep - and noted that "Chemical Sleep" was not the same as "Regular Sleep"

Besides...isnt rolling around all night before a big race part of the game?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeping Pills/Marathon [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've cut my Ambien in half the night before a race. I slept well and raced well. No hangover effect no morning grogginess. I'd try this at least once before a race to be sure.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Sleeping Pills/Marathon [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always heard that the most important night for sleep and rest is the night before the night before a race.

For the same reason prevoiusly mentioned, the night before is going to be messed up with nerves and maybe getting up early to get to the race site.

So make the extra deposit in the sleep bank earlier in the week and forget the drugs.

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeping Pills/Marathon [rgr195] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"So make the extra deposit in the sleep bank earlier in the week and forget the drugs. "

Here here! After spending a year and a half watching people sleep for a living I do not trust sleep medication not given by a doctor as a last resort.

The best way I have found to sleep is Heart Math. Do a google search and go to the website. It is a very brief meditation technique I use when I want to take my model 70 to the top of a tower and show all of you who you shouldn't mess with!!!

Sorry uh didn't take my meds.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeping Pills/Marathon [dksf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ask your physician write you a script for Ambien 10 mg and break them in half. You shouldn't wake up feeling drowsy or slugish. I take Ambien before every race and sleep soundly. I work in the pharmaceutucal indstry and have the luxury of studying various medications. :-)

I will be up all night thinking about the race if I don't use Ambien. The wonderful thing about this medicine is that it has a half life between 2-4 hours and is generally non habit forming. Also, this medication is in a class hypnotic benozo's. Without getting too technical, it ONLY assists you to fall to sleep. It will induce sleep, but will not prolong sleep. Before a race, I'll take a half (5mg) sometimes a whole tablet and wake up completely 100% refreshed as the mediction is basically gone from your system after 4 hours. But you will need a script for this.

The next option is to try Alluna -GSK makes the stuff. This is also a natural substance and an work to help promote relaxation.

DO NOT Take OTC medication like NyTol or Simply Sleep or even Tylenol PM's as they will mess with your REM sleep. These sleeping pills can have lingering effects becasue the half life very long and they can leave you feeling tired.
Quote Reply