Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: If you run in Kinvara, what else works for you? [Cody Beals] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals wrote:
I'd recommend the Skechers GOrun 5. If you'd like something a little more substantial, then the GOmeb Razor is another good choice. Both are lightweight, neutral trainers with 4 mm drop (without the optional insole) and moderate width like the Kinvara. Afters years in the Kinvara, I currently do pretty much all my mileage in these shoes. One thing that frustrated me about the Kinvara was that the upper tended to fail before the sole was worn out. I find Skechers a lot more durable.

I have tried (and still hold) the Gorun5, but it just didn't have enought cushioning for me compared to the Kinvara. I might go try the Gomeb Razor now.

Tomorrow is not promised. Increase the Peace.
Quote Reply
Re: If you run in Kinvara, what else works for you? [FurnaceM3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Give the Razor a shot if you want more cushioning. Despite having similar stack height, the GOrun 5 feels a lot more minimal. The next step up from the Razor in terms of support and cushioning is the GOrun Ride 5, which is still pretty lightweight.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Re: If you run in Kinvara, what else works for you? [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been running in Hoka Machs size 10.5. Thinking of Kinvara 9. Same size??
Quote Reply
Re: If you run in Kinvara, what else works for you? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I have been running in Hoka Machs size 10.5. Thinking of Kinvara 9. Same size??

Not sure. My last Kinvaras are the model 8, and I've never worn the Kinvara 9.

The Machs seem a bit longer than the Kinvara, but for me it wasn't enough to change sizes. I have a size 10 in both. I was probably a true 10 in the Kinvara, but I could probably wear a 9.5 or 10 in the Mach.

Meanwhile, to add to the prior discussion, I've added the Nike Zoom Fly Flyknit to the rotation, and it's in the same ballpark as the Kinvara -- a softer ride, with a more snug fit all around, but very comfortable.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thx. I'm going to have to find a store that actually has them in 10/10.5 and try them for myself.
Quote Reply
Re: If you run in Kinvara, what else works for you? [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I race in Kinvaras and I do most of my training in Saucony Guides. I find I need the extra support/cushion of the guides, but for races I opt for something lighter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am newish to kinvara and loved the 8, but found they came up smaller. Did anyone else find the kinvara ran small in version 8? do the 9 fit similar? i was suprised as a also have the fastwitch and they were more normal sizing in terms of same as brooks, asics etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saucony Freedom are my Kinvara alternates. I find them heavier than the Kinvara's but are more responsive. Like the Kinvaras, they last forever. I search for online sales or local sales and can find them for 100$-130$ CAN, as opposed to 200$.

formerly but still a Run Snail...
Quote Reply
Re: If you run in Kinvara, what else works for you? [vmeikle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just ditched my *very tired* Kinvara 1 - my race shoes until a couple of yeas ago, then track workouts. Finally fell apart. I have K4 and K8 and use both pairs quite a bit. If you're looking for a non-K shoe to rotate with, try the Zoot Solana. Many versions are now discontinued and super inexpensive. I think that they have much of the feel of the K4/K8 (a little less flexible) but much plusher inside - designed to wear w/o socks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 11.5 in all Hoka except the Mach 11 fits fine. I have 11.5 in the Cavu but could probably size to 11 in them. I didn't like the Mach as it was harder than I like but a friend put me onto the Kinvara 8 I'm 11.5 and I love them. He said the 9 didn't have the same soft energy return feel. I really like the Hoka Cavu a soft heal but more firm forefoot and than the Clayton. I have since started running in the Pegasus Turbo and love that shoe soft, good energy return and nice balance between slower pace and faster paced running.
Quote Reply
Re: If you run in Kinvara, what else works for you? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Used to run kinvaras. Wore too fast

Adidas Boston’s rock!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  Started running cross country and the sixth grade and I’ve never really stopped and I’m old af.
I love the adidas energy boost so much. It’s by far the best I have had. The 3rd gen was so good I bought 5 pair, just getting thru those now.
The Boston is the perfect companion too.

It’s odd how so few Triathlete use it and so many runners do.

I got To admit I’m tempted to try the vapor fly though.

Many moons ago I worked at a running shop, and the owner is still in the industry. He never says one brand is any better than another, but he believes the vapor fly really has something.
Quote Reply
Re: If you run in Kinvara, what else works for you? [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
I am newish to kinvara and loved the 8, but found they came up smaller. Did anyone else find the kinvara ran small in version 8? do the 9 fit similar? i was suprised as a also have the fastwitch and they were more normal sizing in terms of same as brooks, asics etc.

I didn’t have the 8’s, but found the 9’s had a little more room than my old 7’s if that helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Kinvaras. I have been running in them for quite a while and have found the Kinvara 9 to be one the the best versions yet. I’ve had good experience with the Freedom for long runs as they provide good support and cushion. I also really like the On CloudX, which I race in.

Quote | Reply
Completely agree! The kinvara 4 and 5 worked very well for me. After that I tried out the Boston 5 and got about 600 miles from each pair I had. Last year I went back to the Kinvara (8) and only got about 350 miles out of them before the support went. I'm now back in a pair of Boston 7s and they are fantastic. Although I think they are a bit more narrow than the Kinvaras. Love the boost foam.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i train in kinvaras and brooks launch, but race in nb vazee pace and do longer races, full ims and marathons, in on cloudsurfers. good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of Kinvaras that I use infrequently. My go-to are a pair of Clifton 5's, and I have a pair of Clinfton 2's although they tend to roll my foot to the outside a little (just enough that I Feel it, and the soles are wearing more a little). That's not a regular part of my stride, so it feels weird. But I love the Clifton 5's.
Quote Reply
Re: If you run in Kinvara, what else works for you? [phoenixR34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phoenixR34 wrote:
Big difference between a Launch/Ghost and the Kinvara. The Kinvara is much lighter, much more responsive. That said...

Did I miss it in the thread or did really no one mention Brooks Asteria? Used to be called "Racer ST" until a few years ago and is truely a modern-classic of a fast, yet versatile running shoe. My personal favourite for all distances... just don´t use it on trails or snow/ice (the sole almost no grip)
Quote Reply
Re: If you run in Kinvara, what else works for you? [Cody Beals] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cody,

Are you going to try the new skecher gorun razor 3?
Quote Reply
Re: If you run in Kinvara, what else works for you? [Testrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Testrider wrote:
Cody,

For sure! I just had a product meeting with Skechers and got to see it in person. I hear it'll be the flagship shoe of the performance line in 2019. The sole and upper are unlike anything else currently in the line. The new Razor 3 definitely takes some design cues from the crazy rare GOmeb Speed Hyper prototype that I wore at IMChoo. I'm glad to see some of that tech making it to market. I'll share my impressions once I test a pair.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals wrote:
Testrider wrote:
Cody,

For sure! I just had a product meeting with Skechers and got to see it in person. I hear it'll be the flagship shoe of the performance line in 2019. The sole and upper are unlike anything else currently in the line. The new Razor 3 definitely takes some design cues from the crazy rare GOmeb Speed Hyper prototype that I wore at IMChoo. I'm glad to see some of that tech making it to market. I'll share my impressions once I test a pair.
On topic and as a reply, I just tried the GoRun MaxRoad 3 Ultra and would totally advise them if add to a rotation involving Kinvaras. They're the shoe Hoka should have turned the Clifton into. Really happy with the GoRun Ride 7 for long runs though, so didn't pull the trigger on them (125€ full price here).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Kinvara 9s, had the 7s. Love them. I also run in the NB Zantes and really like them as well
I read some good reviews about the NB Beacon and wondered if anyone here has run in them and how they feel compared to the above mentioned.
Quote Reply
Re: If you run in Kinvara, what else works for you? [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
Started running cross country and the sixth grade and I’ve never really stopped and I’m old af.
I love the adidas energy boost so much. It’s by far the best I have had. The 3rd gen was so good I bought 5 pair, just getting thru those now.
The Boston is the perfect companion too.

It’s odd how so few Triathlete use it and so many runners do.

I got To admit I’m tempted to try the vapor fly though.

Many moons ago I worked at a running shop, and the owner is still in the industry. He never says one brand is any better than another, but he believes the vapor fly really has something.

As a longtime adidas fanatic, I actually got the Vaporfly 4% & was less impressed than the legend has it...it seems so soft it is wobbly & really feel the loss of feel for the road. My bad races this season were all using the VF 4% & the good ones were using the Nike Speed Rival 6. Both have heel durabililty issues but by far, I favor the SR 6 over the VF 4%. Also--two exact courses different races--I was 20 sec. faster on a 5K using SR 6 vs VF 4%. Nothing scientific there, but they were only weeks apart, similar conditions including wind.
Quote Reply

Prev Next