Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Running after knee replacement [jwreinhart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I hope I'm not prying to much. I just had a TKR and I'm working at recovering. And the whole process is more of a struggle than I anticipated. If you don't mind how are you doing two years down the road?

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Running after knee replacement [konaboysteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi! Steve,
I am recovering from a revision on my right knee. About a year after having both replaced, I started having pain in my quad. I thought I had strained my quad and went about training just being careful. I did a few short tris, 3 70.3 races and finished the season with IMLouisville. After Louisville, I finally went back to the surgeon because of the quad pain and my knee was buckling all the time. Sorry, long story, they x-rayed and found my patella was in about 6 pieces. That was Nov 2019. I spent 3 months in an immobilizer to help the patella scar back together. 2020 was a wash with COVID, I swam, biked and jogged, mostly with no problem. I got back to racing in 2021, doing IM Coeur d Alene in June, USAT Nationals in Aug and was preparing for 70.3 Worlds in Utah. My knee gave out as I stepped down while on my bike. Fell over, got up, finished but had trouble running after that. I did Utah and things got worse. 2 weeks ago I had most of my right patella removed and muscles reconstructed to try to stabilize the joint. I am back in the immobilizer for 6 weeks with no bending so as not to rupture any of the new attachments. I am hopeful to swim and bike after this, but am told that running is out of the question.......I was told that when I broke my patella 2 years ago. Neither joint shows any wear from my running. The patella was damaged by repeated surgeries prior to the TKR and blood flow was not good. This is why it fractured.

Keep at your PT. Gaining full range of motion back was not an easy process for me. Wishing you much success! If you have any specific questions, I am happy to answer. Be patient, it will get better. I thought I was tough and would recover faster than the average, but the average person doesn't do what we do.
Quote Reply
Re: Running after knee replacement [jwreinhart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply.

I'm sorry to hear about your recent setbacks/challenges. It certainly sounds like you are moving forward with a good attitude. Like you I felt like I was pretty tough and would deal with the pain and come back quickly. That has not been the case. I'm on the short end of the bell-curve as far as range of motion goes.

I was able to compete in IM Ireland in 2019 but was struggling even then with my knee. I was able to finish Boston in 2019 before the pandemic and had a qualifying time for this year but the prospect of a 26.2 mile limp helped to push me toward the surgery. I could no longer run. I was able to complete a few short aqua bikes over the past couple of years. I would love to train for and race another iron distance race but that is probably not in the cards. But that's ok. There are other challenges out there.

Friday, I'll be 6 weeks post surgery and I was able to force my leg to do a little spinning today for the first time. It helped to push the seat up as far as I could and still touch the pedals. My biggest roadblock right now is range of motion. Probably due to many years of training and not much stretching. I'm still in the CPM and PT's are hoping for better ROM.

Best wishes and good luck moving forward. I hope you are able to find a way to continue with future adventures.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Running after knee replacement [konaboysteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm currently 2 years out from bilateral replacements staged 5 weeks apart. I finally had them replaced when I could no longer spin a bicycle. To put things in perspective, I'm more of a participant rather than a competitor - not likely to ever qualify for anything. Pre surgery had restriction of motion to 20 deg-70 deg of flexion. After aggressive physical therapy, and the addition of the CPM ( a godsend ), motion improved to 0deg -100 on the left and 110 on the right. Then the COVID arrived and I went to more sport specific type rehab.

I was walking almost immediately, swimming after the sutures came out and pin sites healed (our pool reopened quickly at limited capacity). Able to spin a bike about 3 weeks after the second side, putting my heels on the pedals and the seat way up. After this gains were slow. Continued to walk walk walk up to 10 milers on the weekends. 6 months out I started to add small jog intervals - 10 seconds at first, increasing to 2 minutes. Hurt like hell at first, but improved. Gradually adopted a walk run protocol that was painless. Still jog anything up to 10k, run-walk anything longer. Went to a midfoot cleat position and 145 cranks, and have gradually increased the crank length back to 165. I think the combo helped me regain comfort on the bike more quickly, and gradually increasing the lengths has helped grab a little more ROM. Power levels still lag but are improving.

Some daily activities are sometimes surprisingly challenging. Stairs have just now become routine in the last few months. Squatting is difficult but not impossible. Standing out of a low chair is interesting. And I still work my ROM almost every day. But standing up in the morning without pain is wonderful.

I was able to finish IM Florida 2020 (one year post-op) and IM Cozumel 2021 (with my daughter - her first) with no pain at all. That was, after all, the main goal. And everything was done with the knowledge, encouragement, and cooperation of my surgeon. Hope that helps. Happy to answer any questions if ya got 'em.
Last edited by: exnavydoc: Nov 27, 21 8:24
Quote Reply
Re: Running after knee replacement [exnavydoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing your recovery. It gives me hope. The last few years have been a struggle as I'm sure you understand. And these first few weeks of recovery have been tough as well.

You have certainly outdone yourself. Two IM races is amazing. I can get my head around the swim and bike after recovering, but running the marathon - you are amazing. I will keep your story in mind as I move forward.

My Doc and my PT's have cautioned me against comparing myself to others. But I am at the low end of the bell curve as far as ROM and thus am still limited with what I can do.

Most of my current questions just come from a lack of patience - when can I get back to some kind of normalcy. I know it will come. Already I no longer have the constant ache and pain that I lived with prior to surgery.

I am still in my CPM machine every night and 4 to 6 hours every day. I'm not sure if it increases my ROM but it certainly reinforces the gains from PT and daily exercises. I hoping to begin spinning y. conga little this week. I have done about ten minutes and like you put the seat as high as I could and after a few minutes loosened up enough to manage a weak spin.

It also sounds like running is a long way off. Walking well is my first step.

Thanks again for sharing your journey And congrats on your IM finishes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exnavydoc wrote:
I'm currently 2 years out from bilateral replacements staged 5 weeks apart. I finally had them replaced when I could no longer spin a bicycle. To put things in perspective, I'm more of a participant rather than a competitor - not likely to ever qualify for anything. Pre surgery had restriction of motion to 20 deg-70 deg of flexion. After aggressive physical therapy, and the addition of the CPM ( a godsend ), motion improved to 0deg -100 on the left and 110 on the right. Then the COVID arrived and I went to more sport specific type rehab.

I was walking almost immediately, swimming after the sutures came out and pin sites healed (our pool reopened quickly at limited capacity). Able to spin a bike about 3 weeks after the second side, putting my heels on the pedals and the seat way up. After this gains were slow. Continued to walk walk walk up to 10 milers on the weekends. 6 months out I started to add small jog intervals - 10 seconds at first, increasing to 2 minutes. Hurt like hell at first, but improved. Gradually adopted a walk run protocol that was painless. Still jog anything up to 10k, run-walk anything longer. Went to a midfoot cleat position and 145 cranks, and have gradually increased the crank length back to 165. I think the combo helped me regain comfort on the bike more quickly, and gradually increasing the lengths has helped grab a little more ROM. Power levels still lag but are improving.

Some daily activities are sometimes surprisingly challenging. Stairs have just now become routine in the last few months. Squatting is difficult but not impossible. Standing out of a low chair is interesting. And I still work my ROM almost every day. But standing up in the morning without pain is wonderful.

I was able to finish IM Florida 2020 (one year post-op) and IM Cozumel 2021 (with my daughter - her first) with no pain at all. That was, after all, the main goal. And everything was done with the knowledge, encouragement, and cooperation of my surgeon. Hope that helps. Happy to answer any questions if ya got 'em.

Are you still running?

I am 63-years-old and almost 3 years post surgery. I have been running twice a week for 30-40 minutes and hope to do an Olympic distance race in 3 weeks. I am wondering what the future holds.
Quote Reply
Re: Running after knee replacement [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm scheduled to have a complete Left knee replacement next month. But a good friend had his other knee replaced on January 3rd. Four weeks later he use ice skating. At the end of February he was chief referee at a speed skating meet. He was on the ice for hours.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: Running after knee replacement [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am still running (such as it is). I spent the last two years doing more trail running and a few 50k ultras. I've also continued to do tri, but more 70.3 and olympic distances. Heading to Maine 70.3 this summer. Still jog anything up to 10k and walk /run longer distances.

I continue to be absolutely knee pain free and have no instability at all. Range of motion remains good as well. Trail running is interesting because of the need to pick up the feet, something I hadn't done for years. I have occasional falls (three time in the Dunes 50k) where I catch my toe on something, but the more I do trails, the less of a problem it is. I know I will never outrun anyone (I couldnt before the TKRs), but it is amazing fun to still be able to show up on Saturday or Sunday morning and enjoy the day and maybe outlast a few.

I hope you keep running and all continues to go well. Enjoy the oly!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. You give me hope. My TKR has been a struggle. I have arthrofibrosis and only 90% ROM. With short cranks and mid-foot cleats I can cycle. I will be happy if I can continue to run 2X's/week. Would love to sign up for a half, but I don't know that 13.1 miles is a good idea.

I notice that most of the folks in this thread who were running with fake knees have not logged in to Slowtwitch for a while. Not a good sign.
Quote Reply
Re: Running after knee replacement [Cookson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had right knee tkr at 49. Did a 70.3 at just under 4 months, swim and bike were pretty normal and was able to “kinda briskly walk” the run, but it wasn’t pretty. I’m 15 months out and three more 70.3…Could I run, sure. Muscles, bone all strong enough. But I choose not too. I want it to last, and to me running would just degrade the implant prematurely. I can race the swim, the bike, and trying to get a fast walk down to what my absolute slowest jog was pre surgery.

Let me be that I am and seek not to alter me
Quote Reply
Re: Running after knee replacement [Cookson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cookson wrote:
Thanks for getting back to me.

I know all about doctors telling me not to do stuff. Two years ago I had open heart surgery. After the operation I asked him If I could do triathlons again and he said, "NO". When I asked him how hard could I push myself when working out I was told to keep my HR low and not push myself too hard. Not accepting this answer I reached out to other OHS patients who told me about a doctor who understood endurance athletes and told me I could and what to do. Less than a year after I had the heart surgery I did an Olympic distance race and 2 months later I did a half-IM.

This is why I posted my question about running after knee replacement here on Slowtwitch. I know there are people out there with artificial knees who can give me the information I need in order to run again. I am depending on my fellow endurance athletes to help because I know I won't get any help from my doctor.

I don’t think the measure of good medical practice is whether the doctor tells you what you want to hear. On the other side, it is likely some doctors will be more risk adverse than others.

If I had a knee replacement or open heart surgery I would be looking for a new hobby. There are many alternative ways to keep fit and have fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Running after knee replacement [st speedskater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
st speedskater wrote:
I'm scheduled to have a complete Left knee replacement next month. But a good friend had his other knee replaced on January 3rd. Four weeks later he use ice skating. At the end of February he was chief referee at a speed skating meet. He was on the ice for hours.

Hey, best of luck. I'm sure it'll go great.

I've had both my knees replaced, one at 49, and the other at 51. The process isn't pleasant, but the goal was to get back on my bike, and get out playing hockey a couple times a week. (check, and check). I'm not sure if i'd consider running on them, but I do believe it's possible, with precautions. My surgeon was very liberal regarding limitations.

One thing I'd pass along a caution on, would be being careful in the first two months - those are critical, because the bone is healing into the implant, and too much pressure, or falls, or the like, can mess things up. It seems to have worked out ok for your buddy skating at 4 weeks, but that was a serious risk, imo. cheers!
Quote Reply

Prev Next