Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tiphoon vs Blade [sticky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yeah - been to lanzarote. Next time I visit will be do the IM - but will it be with a Tiphoon??

Frank would you use your blade in Lanz....
Tough question. I'd probably use it but I fear it might not be the perfect bike for such a hilly curse with such an awful lot of curves.

regards,

Frank

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Last edited by: Bavarian_Frank: Jan 1, 04 8:40
Quote Reply
Re: Tiphoon vs Blade [Bavarian_Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frank - is it a weight issue or just the twisty bad surfaced roads... surely the ti frame would be comfortable. what about nice? too hilly? Would you switch to a lighter bike? I noticed you are looking at a tuscany - that'd be my choice for a road bike. Out of interest, I note the P3 isn't substantially lighter than the 04 blade or tiphoon...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice is ok...
the hills are not hard. My parents used to live there, did the course many times. Not a bad course. Some of the downhills are a bit twisty, but other than that,
it's not a very hilly course. I would definitely use my
tiphoon there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Frank - is it a weight issue or just the twisty bad surfaced roads... surely the ti frame would be comfortable. what about nice? too hilly? Would you switch to a lighter bike? I noticed you are looking at a tuscany - that'd be my choice for a road bike. Out of interest, I note the P3 isn't substantially lighter than the 04 blade or tiphoon...

Sticky,

bike weight is not a factor for me. I don't mind if my blade has 100 gramm more than another lightweight bike. I'd say its common sense that a blade is perfect for a big and heavy rider (me, I'm 6.1 ft and just around 195 lbs and have done 20 years of weightlifting - clydesdale with low bodyfat). But - I like to stay in my aerobars most of the time and that is not the case when riding on Lanzarote - I had lots of heavy gusts from the side there and when you ride down into Haria you want drop bars which I don't have on my blade. And I hate it when my bike wobbles when I'm in my aerobars and its always vibrating when riding on lanzarote.

regards,
Frank

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Last edited by: Bavarian_Frank: Jan 1, 04 11:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frank - I'm only 147lbs and 182cm (hence the name!). Would you be of the same opinion of your frame if you were lighter? See you are from Roth area - I enjoyed the Roth race back in 96.

Is the Tiphoon ok for a lanky, short torso, triathlete - or is it too chunky & heavy.... Francois - you are a tiphoon owner - is it to chunky & heavy??? Assume from Tom D that the Blade is OTT for me!

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's neither chunky nor heavy...and I am a 5'7'' - 138lbs midget! so when a bike feels like a boat anchor I feel it and hate it...
Quote Reply
Re: Tiphoon vs Blade [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks francois - neither chunky or heavy. sounds good to me. aero, stiff & fast - thats what i want. looking forward to this years races... thanks for your help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Frank - I'm only 147lbs and 182cm (hence the name!). Would you be of the same opinion of your frame if you were lighter? See you are from Roth area - I enjoyed the Roth race back in 96.

Thanks

Hi Sticky,
if I were as light as you I'd probably not ride a Blade nor a TiPhoon. You are British, aren't you - how about the new Isaac (Principia) carbon bike. Its form Britain as far as I know ...
http://www.isaac-carbon.com/

regards,
Frank

Last edited by: Bavarian_Frank: Jan 2, 04 0:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frank, I am british - is it that obvious! ;-)

I understand what you're saying with the joule but I am after a titanium frame - I'm fed up with scratches, scrapes, dents etc in my frames. i've owned carbon & alu and both are great but the bikes looked wrecked after 2 or 3 years of travelling & racing.

I may well take francois advice & go with the qr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in the area where I live, we have flat endless roads, mountains, short steep hills, etc...you name it.
There is not one route I take where I feel: darn, I'd rather have a road set up, even when going up
Transmountain road (a 6mi pass, about 4.5% and parts at 8-9%).
It feels very polyvalent, is very light (that's with velocity deep V training wheels that are on the heavy side) and with behind the seat bottle launcher, huh, I meant holder...

Can't go wrong with a QR Tiphoon.
Quote Reply
Re: Tiphoon vs Blade [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Francois - i'll be putting the tiphoon top of my shopping list for 04... hoping to arrange a fitting in the next few weeks

thx for your help
Quote Reply

Prev Next